A question on Esoles insoles

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

To those out there using them, did you fit them for shoe size or arch length? Using a Brannick device, my arch is long for my foot. I could order the insoles based off the length of the arch and trim the ends, it seems to make perfect sense in my mind, but I wondered if anyone else had done similar?

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

I bought mine based on shoe size, and they have been working well. That said, ordering them based on arch length makes more sense (mine must be pretty close to middle of the range).

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Bump

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

fa63 wrote:I bought mine based on shoe size, and they have been working well. That said, ordering them based on arch length makes more sense (mine must be pretty close to middle of the range).

It looks like you and I are the only two people on this forum who use Esoles.

HUMP

KWalker

by KWalker

I use them and know a few other members that use them.

From my conversations with Hogg and other fitters its tough. You have to actually put the eSole in the shoe to get the size. My Dad's 44 Sidis use a 45.5 eSole. My size 43.5 Speci use a size 44 eSole. Its weird.

As for arches I would start with normal and go from there. You can always order a bigger size eSole and discard the insole and/or trim it and fit the arches to a smaller size footbed. My fitter did that with both of my shoes actually as I have flat feet and need a size 45 black in both shoes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

KWalker wrote:I use them and know a few other members that use them.

From my conversations with Hogg and other fitters its tough. You have to actually put the eSole in the shoe to get the size. My Dad's 44 Sidis use a 45.5 eSole. My size 43.5 Speci use a size 44 eSole. Its weird.

As for arches I would start with normal and go from there. You can always order a bigger size eSole and discard the insole and/or trim it and fit the arches to a smaller size footbed. My fitter did that with both of my shoes actually as I have flat feet and need a size 45 black in both shoes.

That brings up a funny thing there, in the fact that you are flat footed, myself included and you are in the black arches, which are the highest. I had both of the ones in last night I think at the blue, could still feel the right leg wanting to push in at the knee toward the top tube. The black in the left feels too intrusive standing, but not in the right. May try the black on the right/left on the blue combo to see.
I am supposed to be doing some video reviews with Colby Pearce (Trained under Hogg). I wanted to go out to CO, but could not get out there. Who is your fitter?

HUMP

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

KWalker wrote:I use them and know a few other members that use them.

Also, have esoles and used my running/bike shoe size for them.

Quick question kw, do you have any experience with sidi mega vs regular and esoles? i have had the problem of buying too big shoes due to needed to make up for the esoles added volume
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

KWalker

by KWalker

no idea on sidi mega- mine were regulars.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i run esoles as well (after kwalker pointed in the the direction of em). I just bought them in the same size as my shoes, didn't too any tricky measuring of my foot prior to getting new esoles. I just wanted some (anythings) better than the stock specialized insoles. My right foot is more flat footed than my left and i run blue right, red left. the button things i haven't quite figured out yet. not saying they worked or didn't work, but i liked them way more than my red specialized insoles. Im in the process of swapping shoes now actually to shimano r320 and they are moldable uppers and modable. insoles. I might try their moldable insoles....with the right insert higher than the left. I think the esoles add more stack than the shimanos and it's not as comfy as i'd like...

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

The reason I asked KW was because I used to own a pair of Sidi genius 5 in a 42 that were a perfect sock like fit with their stock insoles but once I put in eSoles I couldn't close the middle strap due to the added volume. Ended up with a few pairs of shoes since most cheap ebay used one's and thinking about giving Sidi another go but in a mega for the same size to help the volume issue with eSoles. I run the blue arch on both feet, seems to be perfect.

Regarding the "button" I think it's recommended by Hogg to try the flatter one first and unless you have issues stick with it. The raised one gave me some weird numbness so haven't touched it since.

Also, the eSoles most definitely add more "stack" to most shoes, out of the shoes I have had *Spec, Giro, Sidi and Bont* the eSoles are by far the thickest from toe to heel. Especially the toes part which seems to not really thin out or taper as much as most other brands.

shadwell

by shadwell

Also run e-soles after a Steve Hogg Bike fit a few years ago.

I run e-soles 45.5 in sidi ergo 45.

Blue Left Red right with lower met button inserted.

You absolutley loose volume with them.

One way i got arounf this was the graft the arch module and button on to the standard sidi in-sole.
Just used a x-acto knife and pen to trace the appeture's then used some adhesive velcro tape tot he sidi sole to allow the e-sole plate velcro to grab.

With the 2/3 varus wedges i run un der the heel the extra volume this maintains is welcome.

As the Sidi insoles will be redundant, have a go.. its not hard..

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

That's actually a pretty cool idea, basically making "Franken-soles". I know Hogg advocates transplanting the toe section of other insoles onto the eSoles to help with toe box volume which apparently is an issue sometimes with these insoles+more snug shoes however, he doesn't mention basically building a new insole using the old one as a template.

I will be picking up some Sidi's in a mega once my size is in stock *ugh delays* and see how that works with the eSoles and if I'm not totally happy with the fit I will definitely check out the "build your own eSoles" type of route using the arch support section specifically,

I have some Bont stock insoles laying around as well as a pair of SuperNatural insoles from Giro that could potentially be used. The Bont in particular are very slim, not like the Sidi wafers but still pretty minimalist.

me

by me

Hi, have any of you tried the Archtech insoles that Steve offers?

I was about to buy som eSoles when I saw these

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/sto ... h-support/

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Have not but I'm interested in giving them a shot, will either be ordering a new pair of eSoles or these. The more structured heel cup and lower toe volume of the archtech look interesting but aside from the testimonials on their site I haven't seen any other customer impressions

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

random question, does anyone not need the standard metatarsal buttons from their set? the ones you cut out from the orange insoles? looking for a pair to buy or i can trade u blue buttons

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com