New Mavic Carbon Cosmic Clinchers 40C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

laleme

by laleme

Alloy box under the carbon rim à la Madfiber.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... heels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder when they'll be released?

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ide-36705/

Mavic hope these benefits, plus a price that won't break the bank (€2,000 for wheels, tyres, tubes, skewers and bags; UK and US prices to be announced), should see the wheels become the number one choice for committed sportive riders.

..won't break the bank, and 2000eur :lol:, a bad joke.. Don't get me wrong, I like Mavic, was our team sponsor for 7 years when I raced, but anyway, that statement seems a bit out of place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

laleme

by laleme

Interesting. Thanks for the link, Berk. :)

Guerdi

by Guerdi

They should be available here in Europe at the beginning of June.

But who would buy them ?

Expensive ? check (2000 euros)
Heavy ? check (1545 g.) Almost 100 g. heavier than a pair of zipp 303 clinchers.
No significative advantage in braking than standard carbon tubulars ? check
Mavic hubs ? check
No tubeless ? check. A new tubeless tire's generation is coming (schwalbe ultremo). Too bad Mavic is always too late to the party.

But they sure look nice.

NGMN

by NGMN

Not to mention, they aren't taking advantage of the aero developments of the CXR in that they are narrow at 19mm and not nearly as blunt.

alibongo

by alibongo

I cant see these being a hit really, they are playing on the "your tire might blow out on carbons"
Follow me on twitter:- MrAliBongo

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

alibongo wrote:I cant see these being a hit really, they are playing on the "your tire might blow out on carbons"

I see that all the time.... :noidea:
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

milroy

by milroy

I think you are being a little harsh.

My impression is that these wheels aren’t really that expensive in comparison to other premium carbon clinches. Particularly when you compare RRP (not street price) and take into account that they include tires, tubes and wheel bags.

Yes they are a little heavier (tho less than alloy mid depth wheels) and yes they do not have the wide rim tech (if that really makes a huge difference) but they DO have a huge advantage in braking with the alloy insert. I have/had three sets of carbon clinchers, all top end stuff. And while I think they are awesome, I have had warping issues and I’d never take them into the high mountains.

As for Mavic hubs, are they really any worse than Zipp’s reputation?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

milroy wrote:Yes they are a little heavier (tho less than alloy mid depth wheels) and yes they do not have the wide rim tech (if that really makes a huge difference) but they DO have a huge advantage in braking with the alloy insert. I have/had three sets of carbon clinchers, all top end stuff. And while I think they are awesome, I have had warping issues and I’d never take them into the high mountains.

Which brands, model and year?

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Why would anyone consider buying these when people like the boys at Flo can deliver carbon over alloy at a quarter of the price at a minimal weight penalty? Of course, there is that limited availability thing with Flo...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

NGMN

by NGMN

The flos aren't a comparison that most roadies would go for. Wheels like 3t accelero 40 team, are $800 cheaper, a little heavier, wide, good looking shape, I'd take them every time over the new Mavis's.

I agree with th other poster that these will find there way on to people's bikes but really from an aero/weight/price perspective, I'd take a dozen other wheels first...

sawyer

by sawyer

Nice looking clinchers, but far too expensive.

Fact is a pair of tubs 1/3 of the price outperforms them.

And they don't really offer anything other than a more pro look vs. (say) Zondas, which cost 1/5th of the amount.

Weight will no doubt be north of 1600g on scales other than the gravity-defying set at Mavic HQ.

And the hubs will be as treacly as ever.

So yeah ... great ... er looking wheels.

BTW ... not clear if the spokes are steel? If they are, then that is a big step forward for Mavic.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

garysol1
Shop Owner

by garysol1

Maybe I am the only guy who has never had any issue with Mavic hubs. My ES hubs have been doing a fine job for 5 years 25,000 miles with little more than a few freehub cleanings and a freehub bearing.
Emonda SLR
Kona JTS
Specialized AWOL
Trek Stache 9.7
Specialized Fatboy

sawyer

by sawyer

garysol1 wrote:Maybe I am the only guy who has never had any issue with Mavic hubs. My ES hubs have been doing a fine job for 5 years 25,000 miles with little more than a few freehub cleanings and a freehub bearing.

It's not that they are unreliable. It's that they don't spin well, and the bearings/bushings are not spec'd as highly as say Zipps
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com