question regarding veloflex corsas

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Make shure to come back with some review and pics :D reippuert.

I'm after the same kind of tire. I called the Challenge Canadian distributor today, they're out of Parigi-Roubaix, and don't know when they'll come in.
Same thing for the Veloflex Corsa 25's with the UK distributors (or even the new Vittoria Open Pave in 25 and 27 mm)...:(

I'll get the first ones available...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I'm having a couple of Corsa 25s inbound any day. They still seem to be in stock at the German supplier I ordered from.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

May I, in all sincerity, ask what it is you expect from such a wide tyre?

The reason I ask is that if there's any brand of tyre on this planet that is not going to benefit from this rather idiotic frenzy then it must be Veloflex.

That, plus that silly detail everyone seems so keen on forgetting, you'd also want the right size of rim bed for these to actually be benificial if at all beneficial. Won't hurt much on a rear wheel except for the added weight and a rather doubtful reduction in rolling resistance but that's about it.

Aerodynamics trump rolling resistance. This has been proven time and time again. A wider front tyre is not going to benefit anyone unless you strike that magic where everything aligns to perfection and then some.

Sincerely yours, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

LouisN

by LouisN

Personnally, it's to put on my "bad condition roads" wheelset.
It'll be used mainly on tarmac, but spring in Canada lets the sides of roads full of dirt, gravel, calcium salts, and water from melting snow.
Same goes for fall, but then it's something else ( water, leaves, etc...).

I want a tire with more grip on these kind of (slippery) surfaces. For volume, if someone would convince me that a 23 mm tire would be as grippy as a wider one, I don't see why I wouldn't use it. Guess tire pressure has something to do with it too.

I sent a mail to Bike Palast hoping they are shipping to Canada. Their website doesn't have that option.

Louis :)

fa63

by fa63

fdegrove wrote:

Fat people like myself can always benefit from a 25 mm rear tire.

em3

by em3

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

The reason I ask is that if there's any brand of tyre on this planet that is not going to benefit from this rather idiotic frenzy then it must be Veloflex.

That, plus that silly detail everyone seems so keen on forgetting, you'd also want the right size of rim bed for these to actually be benificial if at all beneficial. Won't hurt much on a rear wheel except for the added weight and a rather doubtful reduction in rolling resistance but that's about it.

Aerodynamics trump rolling resistance. This has been proven time and time again. A wider front tyre is not going to benefit anyone unless you strike that magic where everything aligns to perfection and then some.

Sincerely yours, ;)

..are we really going to have this debate again? Is there not enough evidence out there that has sufficiently convinced you about the benefits of wider tires?
EM3

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Aren't you jumping the gun?

Besides that, isn't there enough evidence out there that shows the relationship between larger tyres and increased windresistance ?

If not, here's some:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

Ciao, ;)

reippuert

by reippuert

I don't care the least about the wind resistance of my tires and less about the weight of my tires. I care about ride quality and the ability to ride with low pressure on bad roads at home and abroad.
At 83kg at my lightest + i tend to ride with luggage when commuting and when on vacation in southern Europe: plush ride quality + a large air chamber is is essential to me.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Fair enough.
So you want a clincher tyre that is the equivalent of the tubular one that's been designed for Paris-Roubaix races
and go on a randoneur trip with that?

Very stylish, almost aristocratically posh....

Ciao, ;)

nspace

by nspace

Ran into unexpected conditions with my Masters today (might as well be Corsa)!

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

reippuert wrote:anyone had their hands on the new 25mm yet?

I've been drooling over veloflex tires for a decade, but always ended up sticking to MIchelins top of the line 25mm because of the shallow only sizes from veloflex. For the past two seasons i have had my eyes on Challenge's Parigi-Robaix, but i chickened out because they might be a tad too wide for my Merlin CR1 with a RealDesign fork and Challenge's previous problems with quelety control. The 25mm Pro2 i'v been riding for the past 7 years (managed to secure a huge amount of 25mm Pro when the Pro23 came out) measures 26.9 on my open pro rims, and i've seen that the parigi-roubaix would end up beyond 29,6 mm on those rims - too much for my fork and frame.

I'm looking forward to messuring the 25mm Veloflex on a open pro rim since i've just ordered 2 pairs from bike-palast.com at very nice price.

Just ordered a bunch of Veloflex Roubaix and Arenberg 25mm tubies. Will measure the width and post results FYI. I used to be doing Kermesse races on Challenge P-R; this season I'll try Arenberg.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

reippuert

by reippuert

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Fair enough.
So you want a clincher tyre that is the equivalent of the tubular one that's been designed for Paris-Roubaix races
and go on a randoneur trip with that?

Very stylish, almost aristocratically posh....

Ciao, ;)

Exactly... not for racing, but for light&fast touring (Visa card + Caraadice SQR)
--

reippuert

by reippuert

nspace wrote:Ran into unexpected conditions with my Masters today (might as well be Corsa)!

Looks like Copenhagen :-(

8cm of snow and miuns 6 degree celsius, monday the are forecasting another 20cm of snow and temperatures in the range of minus 10 degree celsius - This week last year we had plus 15 degrees celsius when i did my afternoon training on the UCI 2012 course wearing bib shorts...
--

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Yeah, global warming is a huge problem you know. Too bad Veloflex doesn't make a studded version of the Corsas. That's about the only shot we northerners would get at Veloflexes these days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I just mounted my brand new Corsa 25s on a pair of Ambrosio Excellights. They measure exactly 23.8mm. So I wouldn't worry too much about the aerodynamic penalty to be honest. I assume working on your riding position, tucking your elbows etc would help you a lot more in that respect. ;-)