Campy Record 11s cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

asdf123

by asdf123

Hey guys.
What cables do you recommend for Campy Record 11s? I used to ride generic cables all my life but want to give a try to some sealed ones.
I was looking into Jagwire Ripcord for brakes and derailleurs and Gore RideOn Sealed Low Friction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Not being funny, but why not use the Campag cableset? They're very good.

asdf123

by asdf123

Miller wrote:Not being funny, but why not use the Campag cableset? They're very good.

Maybe I'll try them. Thought that Jagwires or Gore are superior to them ;)

erotero

by erotero

asdf123 wrote:
Miller wrote:Not being funny, but why not use the Campag cableset? They're very good.

Maybe I'll try them. Thought that Jagwires or Gore are superior to them ;)

Not even close. The cable itself is not so much the issue, its the housing. Campagnolo housing tends not to compress/shrink as much as those you mention thus maintaining its length and allowing for better shifting. The only thing better (that I have tried) is the Nokon housing, or similar product.
MASTER says... FASTER!!! ...but my leg still hurts...

Berg

by Berg

I just changed to alligator I-link mini with my Campa 11s, and the rear derailleur shifts more precise (mainly upshift) that with original brand new Campa cables. So very happy with that, especially as the ilink mini also looks cool and is super super light :D

You can probably get just a good a result with Nokon, although they are a tad heavier. But both systems can be run with liner all the way, thus giving a semi-sealed system.

astranoc

by astranoc

Guys we are in WW, yeah campag cables work great, but you can save a lot of weight going to 3rd party. Like Berg I am running alligator i-link mini with my Campag 11s, it was a bit of pain to install the first time, but they work flawlessly, they look better and they are much lighter.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Just make sure you get shift cables that are Campagnolo compatible, which I think rules out anything from Jagwire.

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Valbrona wrote:Just make sure you get shift cables that are Campagnolo compatible, which I think rules out anything from Jagwire.

Jagwire offers Campy-compatible shift cables. Whatever you do, don't get the "double-ended" ones that require you to snip off the un-needed end. It is an absolute beast installing them once the end has been cut.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RussellS

by RussellS

Valbrona wrote:Just make sure you get shift cables that are Campagnolo compatible, which I think rules out anything from Jagwire.

No. Back with 9-10 speed cables, Jagwire made Campagnolo specific heads for its derailleur cables. It would be nice if Campagnolo and Shimano could cooperate just enough to at least use the same cable heads for derailleurs. Having equally spaced cassette cogs and the same freehub body shape would be way too much to ask for. Oddly Jagwire even has Campagnolo and Shimano specific brake cables. Not sure why since brake cables are very interchangeable and use the same heads.

http://jagwire.com/products/v/Shift_Inn ... _Stainless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://jagwire.com/products/v/Road_Brak ... es_-_Slick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would use Campagnolo cables they are really very good and the weight savings versus the expense and cost just does not add up for me. Madcow put up a post of weight savings of various cable sets. Also consider that come cableset replacement time parts might be out of stock so planning ahead would be useful.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Wise man.
In the context of a 11S system there does not seem too much room to fool around so to speak.
I wouldn't just port all the toys that worked to lighten a 10S system over to an 11S one and expect it to work straight out of the box either....

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

erotero

by erotero

FWW... I use Camp cables on Nokon housing and works perfect
MASTER says... FASTER!!! ...but my leg still hurts...

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Another vote for iLinks. I've had the same links in use for quite some time, replacing the cables as needed, they shift brilliantly and save a decent amount of weight. Fantastic really. Negligible cost imho given performance and weight savings imho.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I have ilinks for the brakes with campy brake cable because it is lighter and gives more feel and power on the brakes.

Shifting cables I keep the original campy since weight difference is not that big compared to brake housing and I like the shifting with stock housing, cables.
██

1flytriguy

by 1flytriguy

keep away from those coated gore cables. the teflon coating always seems to fray on me. they work great for a few rides but they just dont last. however, their sealed housing system works pretty well to keep the weather

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com