The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
WinterRider

by WinterRider

What I most appreciate around this discussion forum is the civility. Exchanging viewpoints.. opinions and learning is my goal. And I've learned some things.........

The for-mentioned & pictured 18-10 I've built was re-laced NDS this morning.. heads in vs the heads out experiment first time around. Due to the wide elbow's of the Sapim Strong spokes I lost around 9+ kgf tension on the left.. but I believe by subjective testing the wheel is laterally stiffer. NDS tension is 70% of DS's 117 av kgf now.

Originally... laying this wheel on the padded table and applying pressure to the rim with care -- I rated it less stiff than a 32 H rear laced normally. The latter no inflated tire.. the 18-10 with tire mounted to 100 psi. Yet after repeating this admittedly very subjective test.. I am not sure. Suffice to say.. I do not believe the difference is large... if any. I think mounting a tire on the 32H and checking them both in dropouts with firm thumb pressure might be worth a trial. Riding them obviously the ideal.. but snow/salt season does not see my better components used.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

eric

by eric

KLabs- I'll trust a well designed actual experiment over a theory. Rinard is Cervelo's lead engineer and was Trek's. If you think his experiment gave incorrect results, why don't you try to replicate it? You can find pics of his test rig chucking a wheel into a milling machine if you search for them. Or you could do it with an old steel frame laid across a couple saw horses, and a dial indicator (but then there's some flex from the frame to consider).

I don't have much of an opinion of triplet lacing because I have not tried it myself. What little I know from reading and talking to Troy Watson, an experienced wheel builder who built a lot of triplet laced wheels, about it is that it works best with a hub designed for it, one that has a very wide NDS flange spacing. The only aftermarket hub I know that was designed for triplet were the ones designed by Troy a few years back. They're no longer made and I don't remember the maker.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Eric has given the reason why I do not se triplet lacing.

KLabs

by KLabs

eric wrote: ... If you think his experiment gave incorrect results, why don't you try to replicate it?

I don't have much of an opinion of triplet lacing because I have not tried it myself. What little I know from reading and talking to Troy Watson, an experienced wheel builder who built a lot of triplet laced wheels, about it is that it works best with a hub designed for it, one that has a very wide NDS flange spacing. The only aftermarket hub I know that was designed for triplet were the ones designed by Troy a few years back. They're no longer made and I don't remember the maker.

Hi eric, as have I posted earlier, it is the method not the results that I consider incorrect.. The results appear to be correct for a Static test.
As described the method used is a Static test and I believe that the method needs to be a Dynamic test, which of course is quite difficult to setup.
I believe that the spoke tension/detension cycle needs to be included in the test (which results from rim and hub flex due to lateral, radial, and torque forces) which means the testing method needs to be Dynamic..
A spoke tension/detension cycle will not occur during a Static test, especially not as it occurs while riding
:)

The maths I have posted, at least for me, allows me to determine how laterally stiff any wheel build that I do will be ... so for me that is sufficient ( and I have shared it ... ) :)
I prefer to work with some form of maths and SpokeCalc does not provide me with enough information.. The process was still a little too touchy/feely for me ... :)

I will now have a look at a formula for effective Torsional stiffness (Effective Torque Control) ... this process is still a little too touchy/feely for me ... :)

Re triplet lacing, I agree completely that it works best with a hub designed specifically for it (such as wide FTF spacing, etc), but that is also the case with traditional 12-12, 14-14,16-16 arrangements, and for any arrangement.. The best hub for a particular arrangement must always be determined (mathematically) and we do not always have the privilege to use the best hub ( or do we ) ... thanks KL :)

kavitator

by kavitator

will this be a problem for tubular? (too long spoke)

WinterRider

by WinterRider

eric wrote: The only aftermarket hub I know that was designed for triplet were the ones designed by Troy a few years back. They're no longer made and I don't remember the maker.

Hi Eric,

Can you remember if Troy's NDS hole drilling was conventional or a pattern specific to his hub? Goggled for it and can't find anything.

Ah the lateral stiffness can of worms.. a complex topic. Riding wheels to the limit is still the only real world method to compare them per stiffness.

If I was into testing wheels for stiffness.. which I am not.. I'd run this simple test. Lay the wheel on it's side.. onto something rigid like a truck rim. Load the wheel at the axle with weight and measure defection downward. Do both sides. Some computer type should be able to figure how much weight is the same effect as an elite rider powering a wheel to the max.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

http://youtu.be/c7RJpf_KQo4

Here's some wheel testing.........

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi WinterRider, nice machine and now that's closer, especially as the testing is being done with the tyre and tube fitted :)

I wonder how well it is mimicking Torque effects and it still doesn't flip flop like a sprinter/climber but closer ... really nice find WinterRider :)

leejdavies

by leejdavies

Zen Cyclery wrote:@leejdavies-I wouldn't recommend the radial lacing on the NDS of that build. I've done that before with a 340/T11 combo, and I had problems with the non drive side going slack. I think that a 2x NDS would be far more practical. For the front wheel, a radial build would be just fine. Keep in mind that front wheels are usually much stiffer than rears because they have even relative tensions, where as rear wheels have a significant tension offset. For the hole count, you won't notice any difference between 20h and 24h. On the rear though I think you should overbuild a tad and go with a 28 hole, at least.

Thanks for the tips Zen Cyclery. I don't think I'm too heavy on wheels, only broke 1 spoke in my cycling life but would rather have a ~30g heavier wheel over a broken one miles from home. :D

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Has anyone ever heard of a rim having the mending section inside of the rim come loose? I recently purchased a set of Tune 70/170 hubs that were built by Fairwheel Bikes and the front Stans 340 rim has a weird noise internally. If you take the tire off of the rim and deflate and shake the rim in your hand back and forth you don't hear anything. If you mount a tire and inflate to 110psi, you can hear a noise exactly at the rim joint section. I took it to my LBS and they suspect when the rim was built, some rims have little pieces of the weld internally. Maybe that piece has come loose? There's no way to get it out of the rim and the sound is ridiculous when riding. I'm going to warranty it back to Stans, but just wanted to see if this is common with other rim manufactures.

I can post a youtube video later with the noise. Almost like the metal inside is sliding back and forth. I would love to see what's actually making the noise inside the rim.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

eric

by eric

I have had a couple Mavic Open Pros with that.

Are Stans welded? Most rims are pinned these days.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

so I called Stans and it's a simple fix. The joint/weld/mending section has a small plate that's help by glue apparently.
All you have to do is remove a spoke and drop some Mastik in there and it holds the plate back in place. No more noise!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

xis

by xis

Hi, mates!

I'm a new member here. First of all, I wanna thank everybody for the information available, that helps a lot!!!
English is not my mother language. Hope you all understand what I need.
I intend to build a wheel set using the components below "with a little help from my friends" from Weight Weenies. :beerchug: (Beatles... =-] LoL!)

BITEX RAR9 REAR HUB
BITEX RAF10 FRONT HUB
MAC-AERO 424 CN SPOKES
GENERIC ALUMINUM NIPPLES
KINLIN XR-200 RIM 20H - FRONT
KINLIN XR-200 RIM 24H - REAR

Questions:

1) What type o lacing do you recommend? I was thinking in "radial" for the front wheel and "1 cross" for the rear wheel. What do you suggest?
2) What is the advantage of 1, 2, 3 or 4 cross when building a wheel?
3) How do I calculate the spoke length?
4) Anyone here that have these same Bitex hubs and Kinlin XR-200 rims could send the measurements necessary to calculate the spoke length?

I have these images from the Bitex website:

Information about me: My body mass is only 60 kg and my height is 1.72 m. Yes, I'm skinny! I think this wheel set can take me everywhere without effort! LoL!

I'm just a beginner (two years of cycling only), but one day I hope to contribute like you guys do. =)

Dear moderator, in case of this thread is not published in the right place, please move it. Thanks!

xis

by xis

More information:

RAR9 REAR HUB SPECIFICATION :
Weight : 191g
Rolling System : Sealed Bearings / 4
Gauge : 14
Spoke Holes : 24H, 8/16H.
O.L.D : 130mm
Axle : Ø10 - A7075
P.C.D : Ø38.5 / 49.6
Casstte : Aluminum
Pawls : 6

RAF10 FRONT HUB SPECIFICATION :
Weight : 66g
Rolling System : Sealed Bearings / 4
Gauge : 14
Spoke Holes : 16 / 20
O.L.D : 100mm
Axle : M9 - A7075
P.C.D : Ø30
Flat Spoke

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

We have a little thread about wheel building going on in the "Everything Wheels" sub forum: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=74564 You'll find more good information than you can probably handle there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com