New weight weenie pedals on the market- Ultralite Sports

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theremery

by theremery

GearJunkie......what have you got your bike down to now???
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TriRig

by TriRig

Gearjunkie wrote:Anyone know if the Mercury cleat will be compatible with Aerolite pedals? Looks from the pictures like they may well be, the key being the outside diameter of the Mercury pedal.

I can answer that :-)

Aerolite and Mercury are NOT cross-compatible in any fashion. There are lots of differences including bearing diameter, width, and retention mechanism.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Thanks Tririg, appreciate the fast answer.

Theremery, got my bike down to.... being broken :(

The Addict seat tube cracked just above the FD hanger tab. I guess the years of front changing eventually cracked the seat tube. Apparently a recognised fault with the Addict. Who knew? Well I did get a good life out of it first plus just feel within warranty so can't really complain.

Now waiting (have been since October) on a new frame (not a Scott :twisted: ) to put my WW bits on.

Should be here in the next few weeks, though not holding my breath given the delays already.

Hope things are good with you and good luck for the Nats. Say Hi to N.

Cheers

GJ

djconnel

by djconnel

Result of 3D Bike Fit session:
1. My Speedplays had to go. Too much slop. Recommended to ride Dura-Ace which are rock-solid stable. I like them,,, but they're heavy.
2. But I need narrow pedal stance: feet almost brushing the crank arms of my Lightning cranks.

So I wonder if I'd be able to get this position with these pedals. Obviously the low mass blows away the Shimano, and substantially beats the Speedplays.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

djconnel wrote:Result of 3D Bike Fit session:
1. My Speedplays had to go. Too much slop. Recommended to ride Dura-Ace which are rock-solid stable. I like them,,, but they're heavy.
2. But I need narrow pedal stance: feet almost brushing the crank arms of my Lightning cranks.

So I wonder if I'd be able to get this position with these pedals. Obviously the low mass blows away the Shimano, and substantially beats the Speedplays.

Interesting... I don't want to threadjack, but I'd love to know more about how the 3D fit determined you had too much slop, and that the slop was actually a problem.
I've got speedplays and have been considering changing, but I've been able to convince myself it's just "the grass is greener" syndrome.

djconnel

by djconnel

Analysis of video showed my foot tended to roll. Standing on bare feet showed my left arch tends to collapse. Vargus adjustment on L foot from Specialized shoe was required, with stabilization of foot using firmer pedal. I was told that Speedplays can get sloppy as they wear, and cleat can get sloppy as adapter plate or shoe surface wears, and in any case free float of X-series can allow for sloppy habits. He thinks Zeros can be made to work if in top condition and if float is minimized.

I think this is topical because these pedals have very little rotational float, so that this may be an asset as opposed to a detriment is a consideration.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

rowdysluggins wrote:Interesting... I don't want to threadjack, but I'd love to know more about how the 3D fit determined you had too much slop, and that the slop was actually a problem.
I've got speedplays and have been considering changing, but I've been able to convince myself it's just "the grass is greener" syndrome.

This brings me back about 8 years, when the owner of the LBS I used told me to ditch my speedplay x pedals. He wasn't trying to sell me different pedals, but he told me he tried them but compared to "fixed" pedals they were like pedaling on ice skates. Eventually I switched to time rxs pedals and it took a little getting used to. After a number of years I tried the x-pedals again and I got the ice skates analogy. My feet were all over the place. This was all before my "speedplay is the devil" signature. Never tried the zeros, but it sounds like they develop a lot of play as well.
Speedplay is the devil!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

djconnel wrote:Analysis of video showed my foot tended to roll. Standing on bare feet showed my left arch tends to collapse. Vargus adjustment on L foot from Specialized shoe was required, with stabilization of foot using firmer pedal. I was told that Speedplays can get sloppy as they wear, and cleat can get sloppy as adapter plate or shoe surface wears, and in any case free float of X-series can allow for sloppy habits. He thinks Zeros can be made to work if in top condition and if float is minimized.

I think this is topical because these pedals have very little rotational float, so that this may be an asset as opposed to a detriment is a consideration.

Sorry, not to go off topic, but on this same note, over the past 18 months, I've notice my speedplays, even with the screws on the bottom set for no float, there is the ability to rotate/float some. I've got no rocking left/right, just the loose float...doesn't bother me and never had any issues.

My concern with these is accidental ejection. Seems if you foot moves inward/twists while some kind of lifting is going on somewhat, your foot could come out? Don't know, really would have to try some...but that price is steep. Easier to just buy a new set of Speedplay to deal with wear and tear at 1/2 the price every few years.

eric

by eric

Dan- Lightnings have the worst heel clearance of any crank I have used. The inset pedal thread insert makes it worse. And because of that you can't add more than one pedal washer to space the pedals out. Well maybe someone could but I was too nervous with that little thread engagement.

True BB30 cranks would be the best for heel clearance.

I see a lot of Speedplay riders whose shoes appear to be rolling to the outside.

uraqt

by uraqt

djconnel

Sorry to hijack the thread "again", I have a 3D bike fit scheduled in May, any chance you could do a write up/review? Most of the ones I found online were "it's great" I would like a little more details like, what to expect, what fit you had, that was good about it, what would you do differently.

I have asked them some questions and they have been extra great, but I don't want to be a "Hi Maintenance" customer : )

Thanks

C

djconnel

by djconnel

Sure -- I'll do a review. It will be net positive. These guys are intensely analytical. I think there's certain aspects which are open to debate, in otherwords that there might be multiple valid views, not that their view is a bad one.

jbf

by jbf

I'm priced out, sorry ...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So... I have a quick question on the TriRig Mercury. (not sure if was asked before, I searched/read, and might have missed it)

The cleats look like they have the standard Look-pattern three hole design, however I don't see any room for adjustability in the position of the cleat on the sole of the shoe. Do they have location adjustability, or are they simply fixed to wherever the holes are placed in the shoe?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

TriRig

by TriRig

Before I answer this, I'd like to suggest someone start a separate Mercury thread. I don't want to continue to hijack a thread for a competitor's pedal.

Yes, there is positional adjustment on the Mercury cleats. This has been stated in several places, including the articles I've published on Mercury. There is both fore/aft, lateral, and rotational adjustment available, although they're all a bit more limited than on traditional cleats like Shimano and LOOK. For example, a Shimano cleat has about 7mm fore/aft adjustment. The Mercury cleat has about 4mm.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

TriRig wrote:Before I answer this, I'd like to suggest someone start a separate Mercury thread. I don't want to continue to hijack a thread for a competitor's pedal.

Yes, there is positional adjustment on the Mercury cleats. This has been stated in several places, including the articles I've published on Mercury. There is both fore/aft, lateral, and rotational adjustment available, although they're all a bit more limited than on traditional cleats like Shimano and LOOK. For example, a Shimano cleat has about 7mm fore/aft adjustment. The Mercury cleat has about 4mm.

I'm supposed to have my set delivered tomorrow (Monday). Once I have them, I'll start using them-- I'll start my own thread.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com