BMC Team Machine SLR01 (update 8/17/15, pg. 5)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

Valy wrote:Always liked these frames! Read elsewhere that cornering feels awesome - could it be down to the slacker head angle? Wonder why everyone is going with 73/steeper for most sizes as. I mean if this is good enough for TDF etc.
___

But yeah, very nice bike!

These pedals you have, have you tried speedplay before coming to them, or have they been with you for a looong time? Is there anyway to limit the float?

Thanks Valy! Not sure if it's the head tube angle but I feel like the BMC developed fork and tapered head tube definitely helps. The beefy fork crown helps with the stiffness before the fork begins to slim down and the carbon changes to the 1K carbon weave. Whatever else it may be, it definitely works, and works very well.

As far as pedals go, I wanted to try something different and light. I've heard some good stories and some bad stories about speedplay pedals. I'm sure it's not everyone but it seemed like they required extra maintenance and few guys I ride with complained about the cleats getting clogged very easily. I've been quite happy with the Bebop pedals. The design is very industrial looking and the cleats are all metal making them very tough. If there is any dirt/mud build up you're able to just push it out as you're clipping in as the pedals are hallow. I've had them for over a year and no major issues. The large amount of float it something to get used to and I'm sure it's not for everyone. I found that if I didn't lubricate the cleat at all the float remained just fine but over time it wouldn't feel as icy, as some describe. Unfortunately there is no way to limit the float but they are fairly inexpensive so you could give them a shot if interested. I'll be upgrading mine with some Ti spindles soon to drop some more weight.

CAMSHAFT wrote:I am not a fan of putting sub brands of another bike manufacturer on my bike. I would only put those on a Trek. I thought the Pro cages would match your Pro bar. Although I would only put a Pro anything on a Shimano equipped bike. Thats just me.......

Yeah, I see where you're coming from and I understand. I run a Specialized saddle, with Shimano wheel and stem/bar combo and Sram grouppo. Some say that Shimano wheels and Sram grouppo are a no-no but honestly I could care less. As long as everything works perfectly together it's nothing but aesthetics. Thanks for the link with the Pro cages tho :beerchug:

1spd wrote:good night! Some of you guys are just frickn picky! If it makes you feel any better the Pro cages will go with his DA wheels as pictured! Seriously though, if you like the cages frickn run them! I picked up two Specialized cages because the owner of a local shop gave them to me for 1/2 price. The down side is that they were white! So I sanded them down, hit them with a light coat of primer and then black, clear paint. Weight went up a couple of grams but they work great and now match. Can't complain about getting both cages for $44 really.

Oh, and as far as modding the rings! Kick @$$! I would have been ticked off if that happened to me but probably would have attempted the same thing (after doing some research first). Glad to hear that it is working. Hell you can't even see it once the bike is together unless you go looking for it! Good job! Not a bad weight either. Especially knowing that there is room to drop it further if you decide to do that.

Thanks 1spd! With cages to me it's nothing more than aesthetics as most carbon do a pretty decent job of holding the bottles nice and snug.

I've done 90 miles over the weekend and everything worked perfectly. I did a combination of sprints, steep climbs and etc and the modified ring did just fine. No apparent flex/noise at all and as you pointed out, you really have to get close to the crank and look very carefully to notice it! I got a kick out of it when I saw my LBS mechanics face when he saw it :lol:

I'm quite content with the weight but it will drop a bit soon. New Ti pedal spindle are coming as well as lighter brakes, carbon cages, lighter cables, and maybe some lighter chain ring bolts as the current ones need to be replaced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

New brakes came in today :thumbup:

Will do a detailed brake down with weights this week. Stay tuned...

stelvio86

by stelvio86

This is a great set-up, from the integrated bars to the wheels, and the brakes will top it off nicely!
The frame colour is the best, much stealthier than the 2013 B/W ;-)
See you round ! :beerchug:

plpete

by plpete

Thanks! I just took the whole rig apart and will record all weights.

I really like the look and stiffness of the integrated stem / bar combo but I am really considering selling them and replacing with a 3T Ergonova Team bar. Why you may ask? As sexy as the PRO combo is I'm really not a fan of the ergo bend. I can't seem to get comfortable enough on them while staying in the drops for longer periods of time. I used to ride the alloy version on the Ergonova and it was one of the most comfortable bars I've used.

plpete

by plpete

I finally had some time to do a proper brake down with weights. This is what I am working with:

As you can see there is some room to grow. I plan on getting some Ti spindles for the pedals and some nicer carbon cages. The DuraAce skewers are also quite porky. If I end up getting the 3T Ergonova Team handle bar, I should be able to loose some weight there as well. Depending how the fit feels I may go with a 120mm stem as the Ergonova bar has quite a short reach. Goal weight wise is to dip below 15lbs. We will see. Now I need to put all this together :thumbup:

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

Room to grow? :) or shrink!!! Either way you are on your way with a great grouppo and frame!

hetchins68

by hetchins68

:beerchug: my dream frame!!!

KWalker

by KWalker

I run Bontrager cages on a Cannondale- not weird at all since they match perfectly. Probably will run a Bontrager saddle on it as well. If it works with the frame appearance and function wise then who cares.

Come on the Sunday 10AM this weekend and take it through its paces!
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

plpete

by plpete

CAMSHAFT wrote:Room to grow? :) or shrink!!! Either way you are on your way with a great grouppo and frame!

:lol: you're right, I meant room to loose some weight! Looking forward to getting everything dialed in and finished off. Taking my time with this build so it's perfect when it comes to aesthetics and function :thumbup:

KWalker wrote:I run Bontrager cages on a Cannondale- not weird at all since they match perfectly. Probably will run a Bontrager saddle on it as well. If it works with the frame appearance and function wise then who cares.

Come on the Sunday 10AM this weekend and take it through its paces!

Agreed. Not too concerned with brand matching. As long as it flows nicely with all other parts and works great I'm happy.

Have about 350 miles logged on it so far including a century so it has definitely been put through it's paces. Loving it so far. My riding has been spotty lately due to flu/work so I need to get some of the fitness back first! See you around :thumbup:

KWalker

by KWalker

See you out there. You can't miss me as I'm 6 feet 2 and the only person with gold Chris King hubs on the only white/blue/black super six evo around. Plus the large leg tattoo. Matt and Gonzo know me well as I used to work at the shop part time.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

plpete

by plpete

Small update. Received my Parts of Passion top cap. 8 grams including the bolt vs 16 grams for old stock. No big deal but looks much nicer than plain old black one.

Also, titanium spindles for my Bebop pedals came in. 65 grams for the pair is quite good. Hope to install them this Saturday. It should put the pedals at about 150 grams for the pair!

White Fizik Microtex tape will be going on soon as well :thumbup:

plpete

by plpete

This weekend I had a chance to install the new Ti spindles for the pedals. It was a super simple 1 screw job / per pedal. The weight difference was quite significant. Where the Ti spindles came in at 65 grams for the pair, the stock CroMo ones were 124 grams!

Once the spindles were installed the pedals came in at an impressive 151 grams for the pair. The stock weight was 210 grams. Almost 60 grams of weight savings :thumbup:

Few friends and I rode a century on Sunday so I had a chance to snap few decent photos with my phone:

Complete bike weight coming this week. Still need to replace the current bottle cages with something better gripping and lighter. Carbon handlebar is also a possibility.

KWalker

by KWalker

don't tell me it was a full on trail century haha
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

haha you guessed it! Believe it or not, Matt has never ridden a century nor the W&OD so a few of us got together and did the ride. Had a nice lunch at a restaurant at the end of trail and beer after the ride. It was pretty cold so we were not setting any records :lol: