Light weight 3 x 9 chainset required

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CubeRider

by CubeRider

Hey guys.

Well after my new carbon seatpost and Forumla brakes (which for 200 quid saved about 20g) :( my hardtail is now down to 11.38kg

Theres only one thing left for me to replace/upgrade and then its basically a new bike, ... the chainset.

So could someone give me some ideas on a really light chainset that isn't going to cost the earth?

What came on my bike as standard is as follows:

Chainset: Shimano FC-M430 44x32x22T - 175mm
Bottom Bracket: Integrated Shimano BB-UN26

Am pretty sure this is what's on it:

Weight : 996 grams (Complete with bolts)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Alivio- ... B0074NHFQI

I have a budget of up to maybe £200 or £250 if it's the absolute dogs :D

Many thanks in advance :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

XTM7x series. Use a external BB. Looking at that bike there is a lot more weight to save. My 2003 (alu) Oranage Evo 2 is down to 10.4kg with heavy 2.3kg wheelset. On Friday I am building a new wheels and with the new discs and some other changes the bike should be down close to 9 kg maybe 9.1-9.2kg. I like this frame so much to me it worth spending the money on.

Look for second hand parts.

Tyres are another way to loose weight amd why not Latex tubes, I am on Friday. Those wheel do not look light either.
Ti and Alloy bolts are another way.

mattr

by mattr

Go double, XT 26/38 and a new front mech, done that on mine and the wifes race bikes. Still get nearly the full range of gears i need on road (top end is a bit lacking for long road descents), and more than enough for racing offroad both bottom and top end.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

XT is the cost effective option, arms and BB on mine weigh 686g and cost me £45 used, I run mine single ring.

Loads more scope on that bike...mine is 10.85Kg for a cost of parts of circa £500 - link in sig.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Also think thmbies (Paul thumbie adpaters and 9 speed bar end shifters) that will be lighter than your XT shifters.

Give s a complete spec so we can help more.

Light tyres are things like X-king supersonics 440g or Geax barro folding (395g) I am about to try the geax tyres.

CubeRider

by CubeRider

Thanks for the advice guys.

Heres my complete spec so far:

Bike Specification:

Frame: Alu-Lite AMF 7005 RFR-Geometry (Blk/Grey)
Protection: Biketape Frame Protection Film (Clear), Cube Chainstay Protector (Blk)
Seat: 2013 Selle Italia SLR XC Carbon Composite Shell, Vanox Rails, 131mm x 275 (Blk)
Seatpost: Merek 3K Carbon Seatpost 31.6mm x 350mm x 27mm Layback (Blk/Red Carbon)
Seatclamp: KCNC SC11 CNC Machined Ultra-Light Scandium Bolted Seatpost Clamp 7075 T6 Alloy 10mm x 34.9mm (Red)
Handlebar: Kingdom Lunar 680CRB Carbon Riser Bar (Carbon)
Stem: Answer Rove XC Stem 2012 70mm-31.8mm CNC 3D Forged 6066 +8° Rise
Headset: Superstar Integrato Semi-Integrated 6061 Headset (Red), Nukeproof Turbine Spacers 6061 T6 (Blk)
Grips: KCNC EVA Foam Grips (Blk)
Front Shifter: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed Rapidfire Pod
Rear Shifter: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed Rapidfire Pod
Cables/Ferules: Jagwire Alloy Gear Cable Ferrules (Red)
Front Disc: Ashima Light Weight AiRotor Double Ground 410 Stainless 160mm
Front Brake: Formula RX 2012 Disc Brake – 160mm
Front Brake Pad: UberBike Sintered Brake Pads (Gold) – Hard Compound
Rear Disc: Ashima Light Weight AiRotor Double Ground 410 Stainless 160mm
Rear Brake: Formula RX 2012 Disc Brake – 160mm
Rear Brake Pad: UberBike Sintered Brake Pads (Gold) – Hard Compound
Brake Disc Bolts: Uberbike Titanium Ti-6Al-4V Cold Forged Aerospace Grade M5 x 10mm Rotor Bolts
Fork: 2012 Manitou Minute 100mm Forks (Blk/Red) or Kingdom Bike Tracker 26” Carbon XC Race Specific Fork (Carbon)
Rims: ZTR Stans Crest Race Rim BST
Spokes: Sapim Ultralight CX-Ray Bladed Spokes (Blk)
Nipples: Sapim Ultralight SILS Alloy Nipples (Red)
Front Hub: Switch EVO CNC Forged 32 Hub (Blk)
Front Hub Bearings: 6804 2RS FAG INA Thin Section Sealed Bearings
Rear hub: Trizoid CNC Forged Triple Pawl Superfast 120 Engagement Ultralight Hub with EZO Cartridge Bearings (Blk/Red)
Skewers: Superstars Superfly Catbon-Ti Ultralight Quick Release (Carbon/Red)
Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance 2.10 PaceStar Triple Compound 127 Evo Carcass
Inner Tube: Maxxis Fly Weight Butyl Tube
Valve Caps: Mowa Presta Valve Caps (Red)
Rim Tape: Maxxis Rim Strip
Chainset: Shimano FC-M430 44x32x22T - 175mm
Chainring Bolts: Mowa Chainring Bolt Set 7075 T6 (Red)
Bottom Bracket: Integrated Shimano BB-UN26
Cassette: SRAM PG990 11-32T, 9-Speed (Red)
Chain: SRAM PC991 Nickel Plated Power-Link II
Front derailleur: Shimano XT M770 9-Speed Top Swing 34,9mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Rear Mech “Rapid Rise” 9-Speed M770 SGS Long Cage
Mech Hanger: Cube 10123 Alloy Hanger
Speed: 3x9 Speed (27)
Pedals: Dark Cycles Arachnid Pedals CNC Billet 6061 T6 (Red)
Weight: 13.5kg Standard – 9.90kg (Rigid) – 11.38kg (Hardtail after brakes n carbon post install)

bm0p700f - You said looking at that bike theres a lot more weight to save, can you tell me where looking at my spec ?
The wheels are brand new £300 from Superstars Stans Crest ZTR 1400g for the pair, then the Rocket Ron tyres which are 450g are 300g lighter each than my Panaracer XC Fire Pro's.

Carbon shell seat, carbon seatpost, carbon bars, forks are 1900g but there brand new, just done post and brakes, theres really only my chainset left to upgrade otherwise am swapping brand new parts.

Most of the bolts are ti, I got Uber Bike ti bolts but the ones that came with the brakes were only 2g heavier in total so I stayed with those.

I already have light weight tubes.

I have new front and rear XT mech's so I dont really want to buy new ones and I do find myself using all the gears on 3x9 at times.

So am I right in thinking I have to start to sell some new equipment to make way for lighter upgrades ? have I made any mistakes in the items I have bought so far ?

HELLLPPP lol.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I think the frame itself is quite heavy (probably 2 kgs). And the forks probably too (probably close to 2 kgs). Your pedals are really heavy (444 g according to Dark Cycles). These three parts alone probably gives you a disadvantage of more than 1 kg.

I'd also go 2 x 9, possibly with a 11-34 cassette. I had an SLX crankset with 26/38 TA chainrings. Quite light, and quite cheap.

Are you running tubeless? Set them up with yellow Stan's tape. A rubber rim strip is heavy (I suppose that's what your Maxxis rim tape actually is).

CubeRider

by CubeRider

Frame is 1800g forks are 1900g and your right about the pedals being 444.

But with me not wanting to replace the frame and the new forks I bought and pedals I guess my mods have come to an end then.

As I said I like the 3 x 9 and where I live I get to use all gears even top for a couple mile stretch road before I get into the woods so I wanna stick with 3x9.

I have those maxxis lightweight tubes and when I compared that to going tubless there wasnt much in it and I figured running the tube would be less hassle.

Really I just want a really light weight 3x9 set up that isnt going to cost the earth.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'll be difficult then.... You won't save an awful lot on a lightweight crankset.

CubeRider

by CubeRider

Hmmm ok thanks for that marsbar, maybe what I need to do is get a years worth of riding out of this then and think about building one up again from scratch and start with a nice light frame and set of forks, gotta get some use out of this lot its all new lol.

Cheers.

CubeRider

by CubeRider

Oh this is a video I did of the bike earlier in its life, gone back to sus now and changed seat, post, grips and brakes since this vid, dont think anything else has changed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_s1yT-b7Ik

miceden

by miceden

Have a look at the cranksets in CRC's offers section... there are a few sub £250 cranksets that will save you weight in 2x9 and 3x9... there are 386 k-force lights that'll save you just on 300g for £199.. plus they are red so will match your colour scheme

CubeRider

by CubeRider

I'll check that out thanks miceden :)

02GF74

by 02GF74

frame and forks are holding you back - other parts are pretty good; for comparison, carbon frames come in under 1 kgs, 1.5 kg is getting light for forks without too much expense ... from memory they can get down to 1,2 kg.

you can get lighter disc - see the alloy carrier ones I have posted abouit on here - for under £ 22. Ti rotor bolts.

also you can use alloy bolts for clamping the brake levers (Formula RX should be alloy already), shifters and cable clamp bolts for the mechs.

lightweight jockey wheels, KMC X10SL chain, XTR cassette - XT cassette is lighter than the SRAM

mini ilink gear cable outers.

oh, I knew there was something else - your front brake hose should run inside the fork - between tyre and fork - not on the outside. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CubeRider

by CubeRider

Many thanks for that 02 :)

I'll get that brake cable sorted as well, just waiting for rear wheel to get repaired from superstars, apparently bearings gone in freehub as today it failed and just spins.

Now where could I get a carbon frame for 1kg cheap, I'd be on that so fast lol.