30mm train/race alu rear wheel on a budget?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

hi guys.

I need to rebuild a rear wheel (after mine got car-tacoed). this wheelset was my do-anything (train, climb, crit race) go to wheelset when I don't want to use my HEDs.. the surviving front wheel is a kinlin XR300 laced radially to a novatech hub.
I'd personally like to keep the rear consistent with the front (also 30mm deep), and hopefully for a low price ( I'm a student.)
weight is not such a big issue, as long as I can keep it at around 900++ odd grams (no skewers or rim tape). main consideration is it would need to be a laterally stiff wheel for crit racing and some climbing. I'm 66kg, 1.79m, so I'm not porky by any standards, nor am I the most powerful of riders ( designated domestique for my team.)

I can get some pro-lite 30mm deep rims and hub for really cheap... would this be a good idea?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Why not go with the XR-300 again? IIRC they're less than $40 a rim
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Agreed..

I think that you should stick with the XR300. That is a solid hoop and for the price it is decent quality.

jmsp

by jmsp

Fulcrum's Racing 4 have a 30mm rim and are (very) cheap. Don't know if it helped.