Kettle Cycles Carbon Rotors

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

If you guys haven't already, there is a massive thread about these rotors over at MTBR, in the Brake forum. The issue of the out-of-true rotor has even come up, and in the case of that specific poster, they didn't have the rotor mounted up perfectly, which caused it to rub at one point on its rotation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

lordconqueror wrote:The issue of the out-of-true rotor has even come up, and in the case of that specific poster, they didn't have the rotor mounted up perfectly, which caused it to rub at one point on its rotation.
I have already removed/remounted the rotor prior to my previous post and that did not resolve the issue. Just perused the last few pages of that thread, starting with were folks started receiving rotors and did not see any other posts about rotors being out of true.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

lame. i guess it's time for you to fill out the online customer service request form they are so insistent on people using, so they can get you sorted.

ms6073

by ms6073

Actually I see that as being very customer oriented. So this morning again removed the rotor but this time laid it flat on a granite countertop which indicated the rotor was within +/-2mm of laying flat along the brake track. I also placed the wheel in the truing stand (budget model for basic truing), and using a micrometer, was able to make some adhoc checks for hi/lo variation on the face of each of the rotor disc mounts. I did this by placing the micrometer flush against the arm of the stand and measuring the differences between each of the 6-mounts which varied from as little as .05mm to possibly as much as .50mm. This seems like a very small degree of variation but since it is near the center of the rotors rotation, I am guessing that the lateral variance would be amplified further out along the surface of the rotor. At this point, I am thinking I might need to check with a local machine shop than turned the flanges off my hollowgram spindles to see if they also mill the hub's disc mount faces to much tighter tolerances.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CGT

by CGT

If you have the same rotor sizes front and rear, a simple swap of rotors would reveal if one of them is out of true or if the problem lies with the rear hub...

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Or rotate the rotor on the hub by a couple of bolt holes and see if the high / low spots follow the rotor or stay with the wheel...

02GF74

by 02GF74

ms6073 wrote:Actually I see that as being very customer oriented. So this morning again removed the rotor but this time laid it flat on a granite countertop which indicated the rotor was within +/-2mm of laying flat along the brake track.

not sure of the whole story but +/- 2 mm runout is far too much. any rotor I have that is fitted to my wheels is well within within 0.5 mm, or +/- 0.25mm (haven't measure any but just by looking)

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

That's what I was thinking. 2mm is an awful lot for a brake track to be out, especially on something so small. Is it 2mm extra thickness or is it the same thickness all over but out of flat by 2mm?

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Anybody using/used these rotors on Formula R1? Seems like a very tight fit into the calipers.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Any comments on the brittle-ness of the rotor? On cars, rotors are pretty shielded. On MTBs, they're sort of out there in the wind.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I took delivery of mine (a 160 SFL), and then decided to stick with my Scrubs. I listed it for sale hedre, but no one bought it. So I decided to have a go at it, and mounted it up. Dead-on true mine is. no wobbles. still in the process of properly breaking it in, so i'll report later on its maximum abilities.

Erhar

by Erhar

What do you mean, "Dead-on true mine is "? That it has bad or no breaking performance?

CGT

by CGT

Erhar wrote:What do you mean, "Dead-on true mine is "? That it has bad or no breaking performance?

That it is straight.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

LOL, thx for interpreting!
Yes, straight as can be. When the pads just begin touching the rotor, it's a constant sound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gabe

by Gabe

ehh, just wait till the places in china that make the $500 carbon frames start making these things for $30 bucks. Kettle Cycles has no rep anyway so who cares.