Which reynolds wheels?..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

which clinchers wheels would you get out of the 32 C, 46 C and Attack, and assault....they need to be reynolds,
How do people rate them in real world applications? Just how have you found them,
many thanks
Bruce

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

For what kind of riding and rider?

The low profile rims give you the drawbacks of carbon clinchers without much in the way of aero benefit, and are not particularly light.

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

definitely 32..

markpost

by markpost

Have a piar of assault. Don't race just use them in the summer for 2 years. The wheels have been fine. I had to have the rear wheel trued a couple of times and the front one once. The bearings lasted just to the end of the second summer. Only used the reynolds blue brake blocks. Braking was ok in the dry (not alloy rims) not good if it was raining. Didn't have any problems in cross winds or head winds.

xjustice09x

by xjustice09x

It depends on the type of riding you do. Lots of climbing 32's. One wheelset to do anything 46's. If budget is a big concern Attack or Assault.

I have MV32C's (32mm) and DV3K's(46mm). I use both as everyday sets. I make sure i take the 32's if im doing lots of climbing otherwise im fine with either. In about 2 years I have had to get both sets trued up once. Im not a super lightweight at around 180lbs so that isnt unexpected.

Braking when dry is pretty good, not as good as aluminum but good enough for me. Ive only used the reynolds blue pads. In the rain braking is not so good. I would definitely keep around a set of wheels with an aluminum brake track for wet rides.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've got a set of DV3K's on my road bike, and 66's on my TT bike. The components on the 66 (same as the 32 and 46) are top of the line. Really top-notch stuff.

My DV3K's seem to be indestructable. I ran over a paint bucket handle, which wrapped around wheel. It bent a spoke and had to be re-trued, but other than replacing that spoke, no other parts had to be replaced. The brakes on the 2011 and newer wheels are much better than the previous models. In 2011, Reynolds added the CtG braking, which makes a big improvement. That being said, they are heavy. I haven't weighed them, but I would say they are on par with the weight of the 66's (rim wise), and when adding the spokes and hub, are probably 100g heavier.

The Assualts use the same hub, and for 2013, the same spokes as the DV3K's (if you don't need 11-speed, and want to save, get the 2012 model - same rim, same hub, better spokes). If you have the money, and can only get one set of wheels, get a set of 46's.

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

Im really lucky to be reynolds supported and so I've gone for a set of 32's and set of 46's...thanks for all info!

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

4crosswheels wrote:Im really lucky to be reynolds supported and so I've gone for a set of 32's and set of 46's...thanks for all info!

Good choice - I have both but as tubes. I particularly like putting the 32 upfront and the 46 in the rear. My ideal wheel set.
It only hurts if you think.

metanoize

by metanoize

I have 2 pairs of the 32 tubulars and a friend has the clinchers. They're awesome understated wheels. The tubulars are 1040g, light enough for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

I just needed a more versitile wheel that a tub set up,with the increasing quality of clinchers I thought it was worth a shot and if i dont like I can always swap back to tubs the following season.