Numb! Please suggest a WW saddle with cutout to help me.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

edmundo

by edmundo

Like you I got numbness when using the Toupe. In all other respects I found it pretty comfortable. Also, I use tribars and its flat profile allowed me to move around. Anyway, it broke so recommendations on here got me to replace it with a Romin Evo Pro. Result: less numbness, in fact, quite a bit less numbness. Hasn't gone away completely but a big improvement. Its also generally more comfortable but the kick-up at the back does mean you can't move around as much.
I had a 130 Toupe and use a 130 Romin even though every man, woman and their dog seem to recommend going up a size when making this switch.
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Can anyone provide a ride/use report on this Saevid S2? I'm wondering about flexibility and am hoping there's a decent amount.
Privateer wrote:Image
78g, 144€, 95kg rider limit (road)
http://www.saevid.com/product.php?id_product=57

Yours looks matte rather than shiny, is that the case?
[/quote]111g on my scales, and I find it extremely comfortable. The shell flexes a lot, which makes me think that the leaf-spring thing at the back actually works (I was pretty skeptical initially).
Image[/quote]

basilic

by basilic

I have tried the SLR superflow 130 and it's great, you only feel the sitbones. The small cutouts on other saddles are symbolic in comparison. I have an SLR carbonio flow with a small cutout (121 g), so I unglued the covering (hairdryer), enalrged the cutout, glued the cover back on it, and now it's super comfortable and 106 grams. It may break at some point though, who knows.

by 113245

bura wrote:here is a saddle you could go for..
57 bucks including shipping,90 grams,full carbon.just get rid of the logo or keep it..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Free ... 35022.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm guessing that's a counterfeit right? Still tempting just for the weight...

dvincere

by dvincere

I tried a SLR Flow, Superflow, Toupe, Romin and Romin Evo. I've been riding a Selle San Marco Mantra carbon and do not regret the decision at all. It coddles my taint with a gentle touch that no other saddle has ever managed. I get along with most saddles alright but the Mantra is in a different league. If the Mantra wasn't an option for someone who wanted a cut-out I'd tell them on of the SLR saddles is the next best.

bura

by bura

113245 wrote:I'm guessing that's a counterfeit right? Still tempting just for the weight...

Specialized saddles are made in China.I have checked the AB site for another than this linked size . But it is only available in the 143mm size everywhere. Not available in the 130mm width.Comparing the padded weight of the original Toupe S-Works and the size and shape with this
one it is my belief that someone must have had "borrowed" only the mold of one size from the factory where originals are made.
So I think that this is the non padded replica of the S-Works Toupe.
25gr lighter, 250 bucks cheaper than the "original".
Would guess to get it sub 90gr with some sanding of the gloss varnish.
Unbeatable.
No wooden box though :(
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

mattyb95

by mattyb95

I have this same issue, shorter rides are fine but longer rides have gone numb with an Antares (normal and Versus, Aliante (normal and Versus), Arione, SLR XP, SLR Flow and at the moment I am just trying a Romin which despite my initial reservations about the complete lack of padding has been a revelation. Did a 25 mile ride on Saturday and a 60 mile ride on Sunday and despite a bit of discomfort initially on the Sunday as it is a bit firmer on your sit bones, once settled, very comfortable and most importantly no numbness. I should be putting in a couple more longish rides this week but I expect the sit bone discomfort to go as they should get used to it so all being well will pull the trigger on one later this week. I managed to find an old test model at a Specialized Concept store as they seem to be doing 30 day money back guarantee instead now rather than test saddles like Fizik but you may be able to source a test one from somewhere that does bike fits.

Privateer

by Privateer

carlislegeorge wrote:Yours looks matte rather than shiny, is that the case?
privateer wrote:111g on my scales, and I find it extremely comfortable. The shell flexes a lot, which makes me think that the leaf-spring thing at the back actually works (I was pretty skeptical initially).

Yes, it's a slightly dull finish, neither high gloss nor completely flat matte.

Privateer

by Privateer

basilic wrote: I have an SLR carbonio flow with a small cutout (121 g), so I unglued the covering (hairdryer), enalrged the cutout, glued the cover back on it, and now it's super comfortable and 106 grams. It may break at some point though, who knows.

Any pics?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm a fan of the older Selle Italia SLK. I have them on every bike I own as well as a number of extras since they are no longer made. I haven't had any numbness issues since I began using this model of saddle and have no plans to switch. I'll pay to have them recovered when necessary, which is cheaper than buying new saddles. I guess my point is, when you find something that works for you, stick with it.

Fitzroy

by Fitzroy

Given the amount of saddle swapping going on here, someone must have a black 143 Romin Evo Pro knocking about they can send me :D

I'm on a Toupe but on the lookout for an evo pro to try before I buy (PM if you can help).

basilic

by basilic

Privateer wrote:
basilic wrote: I have an SLR carbonio flow with a small cutout (121 g), so I unglued the covering (hairdryer), enalrged the cutout, glued the cover back on it, and now it's super comfortable and 106 grams. It may break at some point though, who knows.

Any pics?

Here.
Disclaimer: I do not advise anyone should do this. The integrity of the saddle is probably compromised, and you risk injury, death, a tax audit, or worse. That said I have ridden maybe 2K km on this. If it holds up I may send it to have it recovered with something nice. By the way the shell is not carbon (only the rails are), some plastic that melds when you take a dremel wheel to it. I feel like a true ww now, loss of 15g !!

Berg

by Berg

carlislegeorge wrote:Can anyone provide a ride/use report on this Saevid S2? I'm wondering about flexibility and am hoping there's a decent amount.

I just borrowed a Saevid S1 to try it out. This is the model without the cut-out, but otherwise same shape and construction as the S2 afaik.
The shell doesn't really flex at all when applying thumb pressure, so it seems to be very stiff. It will be a while before I can road test it though..

erotero

by erotero

Check your position first and foremost. Have in mind that having a position where the body weight is not properly distributed will lead to pain, suffering and numbness on wither your hands or your "bazooka". Try lowering or lengthening the stem, or both. After you find the "right" fit, then you may try different saddles if necessary. I experienced a similar numbness issue and solved it by lowering the stem 2cm. This allowed not only to distribute the weight better, but also to sit on my bones rather than on the soft tissue. The more you lower your torso to reach the bars, the closer the sitting bones get to each other. Also make sure you have good pedaling habits and not rotate your knees outwards, but rather keep the knee rotation limited inline with your feet. Kicking your knees out promoted opening of the hips and it can too lead to numbness. Hmmmmm... I can't think of anything else... My 2 ¢...
MASTER says... FASTER!!! ...but my leg still hurts...

edmundo

by edmundo

I've never met basilic so I could be wrong, but I somehow doubt he rides naked with his undercarriage lowered through the hole.
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com