Questions about Colnago C59 sizing and frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Because I am curious about this Colnago frame and I can't figure out the sizing, I have some questions.
I hope that some Colnago fans overhere can help me out.

1: Is it correct that this frame comes in two versions. A slooping version and a traditional version?
2: If the answer to the first question is yes, how can I see the difference in the geometry and sizing. I see some frames that have a small "s" behind the size. Is this the slooping version?
3: When looking at the slooping version the size that gives the best information about the right size is the "top tube lenght center to center" and the size of the "head tube lenght"?
4: How can you compare the C59 when it comes to stiffness to weight and comfort? Is it good?
5: Why prefere the c59 over the M10?
6: Is it correct that the frame comes in electronic version and "normal"shifting version? When buying the electronic frame version, you cannot use normal shifting groups anymore?
:noidea:

thanks!
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

PSM

by PSM

1. Yes. C59 does.
2. "S" means sloping. Colnago sizing is special. You have to go up 2 sizes. I am a 56" guy and I needed 52" on my M10.
3. Check on Colnagos homepage.
4. I cannot tell. But people seem to like it.
5. C59 has a "soul" because it is made by hand in Italy. How ever the M10 is lighter, stiffer and has a modern monococ-design. (Frame made in Taiwan).
6. Yes that is correct.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

I think you've had most of your questions answered. Standard level top tube Colnagos are measured on the seat tube C-T as opposed to C-C like many brands. Look at the top tube length instead. For example, a person who rides a typical "56" from many brands with a ~56 cm top tube would ride a 58 C-T on a Colnago level top tube frame. For sloping top tube models, you would get the same top tube length on the 54s size.

enr1co

by enr1co

PSM wrote: 5. C59 has a "soul" because it is made by hand in Italy. How ever the M10 is lighter, stiffer and has a modern monococ-design. (Frame made in Taiwan).

Re: Question 5

5. To a limited extent, you have opportunity to order custom sizing with
the lugged construction of the C59.

Ive both a C59 and a M10 and find them comparable in the ride stiffness with comfort and performance.

Honestly, havent been able to discern the difference of lugged vs monocoque construction- but am finding putting more miles on the C 59 of late- maybe because the finish goes w/ our new kits better? :wink:

The "soul" attribute of a frame is generally a subjective and personal preference item but should you enter in the world of Colnago affecianados, you will definitely get more props with a made in Italia Colnago. :thumbup:

Good luck on your selection!

PSM

by PSM

enr1co wrote:
PSM wrote: 5. C59 has a "soul" because it is made by hand in Italy. How ever the M10 is lighter, stiffer and has a modern monococ-design. (Frame made in Taiwan).

Re: Question 5

5. To a limited extent, you have opportunity to order custom sizing with
the lugged construction of the C59.

Ive both a C59 and a M10 and find them comparable in the ride stiffness with comfort and performance.

Honestly, havent been able to discern the difference of lugged vs monocoque construction- but am finding putting more miles on the C 59 of late- maybe because the finish goes w/ our new kits better? :wink:

The "soul" attribute of a frame is generally a subjective and personal preference item but should you enter in the world of Colnago affecianados, you will definitely get more props with a made in Italia Colnago. :thumbup:

Good luck on your selection!

Amen. ;)

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks for the information guys!
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Martinez

by Martinez

Hi,

First off all, sorry for my english, I only speak a little english.

I am thinking to buy a Colnago C59, and I hava a doubt about the size. I think that my correct size is 52s, i don´t like tradicional sizes.

My height is 1,81 m. The distance from botton bracket center to top of the saddle in my actual bike, a Trek Madone H2 size 56, is 76,5. I have fear that the distance from the seatpost out of the frame is very long.

Somebody has a 52s C59 or similar with my measures? Could see a 52s with 76,5 from bb to top of saddle?

Will my size 52?

Thank you.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Why not just compare the Colnago and Trek geometry charts?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Martinez

by Martinez

This is the problem, I have compared and i think colnago is smaller than trek, or at least, different. Also,colnago doesn t show reach and stack...it is a very éxpensive frame and I need to be sure. Thank you.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Hi Martinez

So , seat tube shouldn't be so crucial - assuming you are using a Colnago C59 Carbon Seatpost, they are 350mm long of which 250mm is usable
The 52s is 52cm from BB to seat clamp, so plus 25cm, gives you total 77cm + the height the saddle sits above the seatpost clamp (on average 4cm), so worst case you should have at least 80cm capable from BB to top of saddle

With a 54s, you get an extra 2cm, so worst case upto 82cm from BB to top of saddle

Your Trek currently has a 56cm top tube, the C59 52s has an effective top tube of 55cm and the 54s has an effective top tube of 56.5cm
The 52s will be a lower front end than your Trek (which I personally quite like!), whereas the 54s would be higher
If it were me, I'd have the 52s, as I like to ride feeling compact and low down!

Good luck
regards, Ian

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

What is your drop, top saddle to top or center bars?

What is your setback?

What is your reach nose of saddle to center bars?

I have a similar saddle height on a 52s/56t.

I have a 7cm setback, 76 saddle height, reach I think is 58.5cm. I use a 130mm stem on the large cone spacer and the drop in 10cm to center bars. That should give you an idea.

The bike with this setup rides like a dream, personally I would never want to go for a bigger frame. I've had a 57cm and didn't like as much.

My girlfriend rides a 52s with 78cm saddle height. Seatpost is fine.

Martinez

by Martinez

Ian, my fear is to see too much seat post out the frame.

Crazyerrol, i think my drop is 6cm now, although now I use 2 spacers that I dont really need. My setback is 7,5cm. Between the front part of the saddle and de center of the bar I have 55cm, is perfect for me, I think that I need 110 stem.

Do you have any photos of your bike and girlfriend´s bike?

thank you

willy

by willy

Martinez, this bike has 76.4 cms from bb center to top of saddle, just like urs would look, and its a 52slope

Martinez

by Martinez

Thank you Willy, tris photos is perfect!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Let my understand this correctly… you're about to drop some serious money on a stunning bike, and you guessing what size you need?! Go and get a bike fit and then spend the money
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin