Zipp 303 tubular's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

buddyboy

by buddyboy

Hi
Though this is my first post, I have been reading this site for a while now.
It is an amazing source of information

I have decided to bite the bullet and buy some tubular wheels.
I live in the UK, and have been quoted £800 for Zipp 303s

I know they are great wheels, but have heard bad stories of their reliability in the past. Has this changed at all?
Have you guys got any other suggestions instead?

Advice is greatly appreciated !

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi buddyboy! First of all, welcome!

Did you try a search on zipp yett? Many things have been discussed in the past. Maybe your question is among them. Searchin zip 303 gave me a large list of hits.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gholl

by gholl

Zipp 303's are as good a carbon wheel as one can buy. As all very light weight carbon parts they are fragile, however, at last in the USA, their aftermarket service is as good as it gets in the bike business. A tendancy to spoke breakage has been corected with their use of Sapim spokes. Be sure to use their brake pads-chatter will be greatly reduced.

Tsielio

by Tsielio

they suck...
broke them several times
see previous posts

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

try the American Classic 38mm tubulars. I trained on them daily for a seaon and a half with no problems. Weight is 1100 grams, I have 28 hole in the rear for more strength. .....Great Wheels!!!

RIDE

by RIDE

I am about to begin my 3rd season on my 303s and have no complaints. They have been super reliable and I absolutely love the ride.

The only other wheel I'd consider though, would be the Reynolds. I have heard great things and the guys I know that ride them, love them.

Then again...so do the 303 guys!

Good luck,

RIDE

buddyboy

by buddyboy

Guys
Thanks for all the advice
I was originally also thinking of Reynolds or American Classic's, but do not know of any dealers here in the UK and am not that keen on mail order.
There has been a LOT of forum topics on the lightest tubulars, but I was wondering if there has been any articles or tests which did a 'head to head' with some of these wheelsets.

RIDE

by RIDE

Buddy Boy...

Know this...which ever you choose, you can be assured that you are going to be riding a great and very lightweight wheelset. None of these are the lightest that can be had, but they are certainly extrememly light and should be quite reliable....that is very important.

I do know first hand that Zipp is great with customer service and really stands behind their product, but can't speak for Reynolds.

As for head to head tests, I have done my fair share of searching and not found anything.

One last suggestion...you could always buy the Zipp rim, with hubs and spokes of your choosing just to be a bit different. Then your choices will really get tough.

RIDE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com