6,4 kg

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

theoretically the nearer the magnet is to the axle, the better(weight that has to be accelerated/moved;rotating mass). i have the magnet (i use sigma magnets)on my road wheels just at the first 2 cm after the spoke is bent(so just after the hub). at lw at this distance from the axle there is still the carbon hub, so now possibility to mount magnets(maybe glueing tune or something, but that would look ugly). if i were you, i would mount another magnet to the lw front wheel as near to the axle as possible and change the other bikes/wheels also to this position. i have made the experience that when you need to change front wheel during a race and there's not much time, the wheel will often hit the speed sensor if it's mounted just below the brake when the mecanic is putting it into the fork. the further downwards it is mounted, the more place there is between the fork for the wheel to pass aside the sensor. it really is a compromise, but i think this is the best one.

Tippster

by Tippster

didn't you realise the LW wheel magnet was only 0.8g????

check for yourself...
http://www.carbonsports.com/LW_Technik_ ... eder.lasso

From the CS website (link above)

"Option: 0.8 g wheel magnet laminated into the rim

As a new option we now offer a special Samarium-Cobalt magnet laminated into the rim. At only 0.8 g this is the most radical weight savings you can get, while at the same time improving wheel trueness and reducing drag. We offer the magnet as on option for either the front or rear rim."
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

C a s r a n wrote:Well, there's no cosmetic difference, but as far I am informed, they started integrating magnets in the rim very early! A friend of me has the original LW set Ullrich rode in 1997 and 1998, and he was very surprised last Octobre to hear this allready had a rim magnet (while he was using a spoke magnet). :D Versions with the old valvehole mostly have this magnet allready.

Thanks for the extra info. I already thought this but wasn't sure.
About the magnet in the rim. You could setyour speedsensor to work with the LW's and ajust the magnets on your other wheels to match the sensor. But if you have more aero wheels you want to use on the same bike you would have to come up with something different because you can't mount a regular spokemagnet high enough. You would have to glue a magnet inside the aero rim on the same hight as the LW's. You would need a strong magnet. I tried it with a Hed wheel, but it didn't work as the magnet wasn't strong enough. Or you could put a second magnet on one of the spokes of the lightweight so you won't have problems with the rest of your wheels. IMO the tiny Tune magnet looks pretty good on there (you hardly notice it) If you want to use a 'ksyrium type'magnets (like in the picture you posted) be carefull in tightening it as they can damage the spokes.

Hermie

by Hermie

sorry casran
but this lw front wheel in the giant TT bike doesn't have a magnet in the rim!
it's also my friend, and I know it also :d
you can see it by looking at the hub. It's a older version than you think.
He has more versions ;)

I have also a older version without that special valve, and I didn't recognise some magnet.
you can't see it by looking at the valve only ;) I think you have te CHECK it!

greetz
Campa is the best

Boonen

by Boonen

Hermie wrote:you can see it by looking at the hub. It's a older version than you think.

What is the difference? It looks like the bearing is sticking out a bit further than on the newer version, or is it something else? It would be nice to know.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Hermie wrote:sorry casran
but this lw front wheel in the giant TT bike doesn't have a magnet in the rim!
it's also my friend, and I know it also :d
you can see it by looking at the hub. It's a older version than you think.
He has more versions ;)

Ben,

You made me doubt and I included the question in a mail to him. You are right! This was his oldest set and we had it with us when we went to the Carbonsports Open Day and there they showed us how you can trace the magnet in a rim; I thought to remember they showed that on this specific "old" wheel, but he reminded me it was shown on another wheel. Sorry for the mistake and the confusion, and thanks to correct me Hermie. :wink: