Giro new "Road" line

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/ ... ift_276253

This is terrible.....would you show up to a group ride in baggy's? :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

Is it more for the commuter crowed so you can wear it to work without looking like Euro bike nerd in the eyes of the unrefined co-works?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The problem is, it isn't commuter friendly. This is city-bike attire at best and Rapha-wanna-be elitist hipster attire at worst (most likely). I commute 80km round-trip to work every day and wouldn't wear any of this stuff. First off, it's too expensive. Second, it's very low-vis and most commuters I know don't want to be run down by cars during pre-dawn or evening commutes. Finally, I don't see it being any more functional than standard cycling gear applied in layers. I love Giro helmets and think they're shoes look nice (never tried them) but this clothing line is an epic fail in my opinion. As a potential customer I can honestly say I will never buy any piece of it.

KWalker

by KWalker

You're not their target market so your opinion doesn't matter. The target market are late teens to mid 30's urban commuters that ride short distances or have a bike as their sole form of transportation and do not want to look like they are wearing bike clothes. Basically, its to roll a few blocks/miles and chill in. The market for that right now in the US is pretty damn big, which is one reason why Rapha, Cadence, etc all sell so well. Most people either don't need high vis stuff (especially not in actual big cities with lighted roads) or are completely willing to make a trade off so they could actually go and hang out all day in the clothes be it at a simple coffee stop or at an actual restaurant with normal people.

How smart/stupid you or anyone thinks this is is irrelevant. Its a hugely underserved market that a smart company is trying to capitalize on.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Giro is actually coming out with some cool stuff, in my opinion.
I'd show up to my group ride in the baggies, no problem!

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Pretty nice for the urban crowd, totally out of place for road cyclists.

Showing up to a group ride in baggies would probably end in a serious beating over here in mainland Europe. ;)
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

There would be no beatings if they dropped on the nearest hill. :-)
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

KWalker wrote:You're not their target market so your opinion doesn't matter. The target market are late teens to mid 30's urban commuters that ride short distances or have a bike as their sole form of transportation and do not want to look like they are wearing bike clothes. Basically, its to roll a few blocks/miles and chill in. The market for that right now in the US is pretty damn big, which is one reason why Rapha, Cadence, etc all sell so well. Most people either don't need high vis stuff (especially not in actual big cities with lighted roads) or are completely willing to make a trade off so they could actually go and hang out all day in the clothes be it at a simple coffee stop or at an actual restaurant with normal people.

How smart/stupid you or anyone thinks this is is irrelevant. Its a hugely underserved market that a smart company is trying to capitalize on.

I still submit that this clothing line is grossly overpriced for most of that target market. I don't know any late teens who can afford $150 jerseys...

KWalker

by KWalker

Its not, trust me. Lots of them are trust funders and/or know people that can get discounts. I have some friends that fit this mold and not one of them pays full price for their Rapha kit.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

tonytourist wrote:Giro is actually coming out with some cool stuff, in my opinion.
I'd show up to my group ride in the baggies, no problem!

I can't tell if your being sarcastic...

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Rudy,
I will next time I ride my cross bike on the noon ride. I'm sure it will piss off some of the old timers when they can't keep up. Should I run 32 slicks, muds or 42c Randonneurs?
Actually, if I get a pair of Kitsbow baggies today I'll be sure to wear them on my Tuesday group ride.
http://shop.kitsbow.com/shop/soft-shell-a-m-shorts.html

ChristianB

by ChristianB

I still submit that this clothing line is grossly overpriced for most of that target market. I don't know any late teens who can afford $150 jerseys...

Are you serious? The urban hipster crowd will happily spend that amount of money on something they feel is right. You will also find a lot of roadies, with normal jobs in e.g. the creative sector, who do not want to look like the Fred crowd.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

Tony,

It wasn't a jab. I seriously could not tell if you were being sarcastic.

Kitsbow looks like Rapha Mtb. Again, not a jab. Manufactured in Canada, Schoeller fabric, no complaints here. The price point will scare some people away but that's the nature of bootik (boutique) brands, which for the record I support.

Cheers,

***DISCLAIMER - I AM A CANADIAN FROM BRITISH COLUMBIA***

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Rudy, I wasn't offended by your comment. I always wear baggies on the mtb, so I wouldn't have any issues wearing them on the road bike if I were doing some urban riding. The Kitsbow items are nice. I checked them all out today at a local race, but I only purchased the baggies as it is too warm here already for their jersey/jacket offerings.