Road & Cross Disc Rims ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

I have a Boardman CX Pro hack bike which runs Avid mechanical discs and is supplied with some Ritchey wheels.

I'm looking to upgrade the wheel set and at the same time, have a build that can take road tyres at pressures up to 110psi. What's the best suggestion for a disc specific rim that can work as a jack of all trades?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There are not any disc specific road rims at the moment. The DT Swiss 29er rims all have a pressure limit below 110 psi. The same proabbly applies to Mavic TN719 disc for example.

I would use something like the NMSW wall rim from velocity like the A23. That way you can run road tyres and not have a brake track.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Yeah, I have looked around for such a thing too. The non-machined velocity options are a good choice.

... OR get the Stans notubes Alpha 340 non-machined rims. Or Iron Cross, but that doesn't work with road tubeless, apparently (I have the impression it is mot a pressure limitation, bit a rim diameter issue with fitting the road tubeless tires).

Also it looks like the H Plus Son has black machined tracks (?) so wouldn't scream "rim brake" if this is a more aesthetic thing. I have some 24mm wide Kinlin XD230 rims on my commuter. They have been running 28mm reflective tires for the winter -- and cx before that. I just mounted some 700x25 tires to celebrate the warmer weather.

F45

by F45

Would a clincher really save much weight? The rim needs to be strong enough to resist the pressure of the tire so the brake track cannot be made much thinner.

pushstart

by pushstart

F45 wrote:Would a clincher really save much weight? The rim needs to be strong enough to resist the pressure of the tire so the brake track cannot be made much thinner.

I don't know what that question means ... I don't think anyone is talking about tubular here. I think OP is just asking for recommendations on a good disc rim for road or cx. Since to-date disc rims have been for mtb, there are obviously fewer options that address the needs of road (lighter weight, maybe lower spoke counts, higher psi, etc.).

As to whether a *disc-brake* rim could be lighter than a rim-brake rim, that is another topic -- and there is industry opinion on the matter a mere google away.