Steel/Carbon Sycip 29er completed!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

go4custom

by go4custom

update So all things did not go as planned so the bike will be built up as a raw frame, then painted after the show. The frame came in waaaaaay under what I was expecting for a MTN frame. Can not say enough for Jeremy's work and patience with me and all my "eccentric" ways. But the simply details and overall look of the frame is exactly what I envisioned/wanted when starting the project in June.
I will try to get some detail shots soon. The Brake Hose will route internal thru the downtube and external on the chainstay. "When" I run it geared, the cable will run full internal, DT & chainstay.

Steel 29er hardtail SS with carbon top tube and seatstays (142x12, PF30, 44MM HT)
Ritchey superlogic bar, stem, saddle
New Ultimate Evo post...waiting
Fox Talas 120 15mm w/Tune skewer skewer out of stock still :cry:
Yet to be released E13 TRS-r cranks...TRS+ cranks shown for color matching
Custom Formula R1 brakes
Kettle Cycles 55g "carbon" 160mm rotors these weigh nothing :D
KMC chain...waiting
Custom E13 wheelset w/cx-ray
Schwalbe 2.25 Rocket Ron F/R
King 18t cog...waiting
Chris King Gold Tapered Headset
Parts of passion UD top cap...waiting
KCNC post collar...waiting
Ashima Black Alloy rotor bolts...waiting

Adding all things together and estimating parts I'm waiting for, it looking close to 8850g or 19.5lbs.

Build list never complete w/o pics :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

And for those wanting to see how the rotors looked. Waiting for Ashima alloy bolts
Last edited by go4custom on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Sounds tasty! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep us updated! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Yes .. keep it coming!

michel2

by michel2

That is intresting,
I worked in an frame shop in nortern italia for a bitt nd these fella's always welded the seattube to the bb shell first, this pretty much became the base of the whole frame.

Do you put your headtube and bb shell in the jig, then mitter the bottom tube to fit and then weld the tube onto bb shell in a separete jig?

Sorry bring nosey (; love ya work !(;

go4custom

by go4custom

What you see here came right off the jig. The signature wishbone seatstays and chainstays will be mocked up on the same jig. The seatube is not tacked because the TT will need to be cut out leaving about an inch "sleeve" on either side that the carbon tube will slide over. This way, the top half of the frame can be removed off the jib to install the carbon then put back together to weld the ST/BB junction.
The only unfortunate thing was receiving the carbon seatstay tube and it being the wrong OD. A new one is being made, but this means it won't be going to paint. Getting the tube on Friday and having to ship the bike to CO on Monday just doesn't leave enough time for paint. :cry:

Wishbone stay for reference

michel2

by michel2

Thank you for this inside,
So i suppose if you were to weld the seat tube to bb and fully weld the top tube after fitting the carbon-tube in it the carbon might get t hot or?
Cant wait to see the full build, love the sycips !

go4custom

by go4custom

All welding had to be done in steps so the carbon and bonding would not get too hot. All brazing, reaming, frame clean up finished up today, but ran out of time to put anything on.

Will try to post tomorrow as things go on and hopefully all other parts will come in.

go4custom

by go4custom

I start off by saying if the photos posted are not within the rules, feel free to edit or take them down.

NAHBS was a great experience. Very talented people. Next bike will 100% be a custom bike. Probably a Alchemy or Crumpton. Nick was one of the most welcoming and informative guys to talk to. He even took the time to check out the bike, how we did the carbon/steel bonding, later gave a few suggestions for next time, then gave the thumbs up.

The frame came in way under what I was expecting of around 6lbs. 4.4lbs for a a 29er frame was not what I was expecting. I don't have a final weight but on the bathroom scale was 20.5lbs, no pedals. I have no time on the rotors, but will post my thoughts on them in the coming weeks in the MTB thread. The fact that the bike was finished about 11pm Tuesday night, it never got off to paint, but so much feedback and compliments has given me the idea to just put a gloss clear coat over it and be done.

First ride is at least a week away though :cry:

mihai

by mihai

do you have special brake pads for that rotors?

michel2

by michel2

I love the rear brake cable details, very nice how classic cable stops are used for modern hydraulic lines !enjoy !

go4custom

by go4custom

Any OEM pads will work with the rotors.

Dennis

by Dennis

Can I buy such a frame? I always wanted a steel frame, lightened with carbon tubes, and this looks amazing!
Sadly (altough I am very happy with it) just bought myself a Scott Scale 29er frame,, but my next frame would be something like this!

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Very cool indeed!

go4custom

by go4custom

Dennis wrote:Can I buy such a frame? I always wanted a steel frame, lightened with carbon tubes, and this looks amazing!
Sadly (altough I am very happy with it) just bought myself a Scott Scale 29er frame,, but my next frame would be something like this!

At the moment it is not available to buy. It originally started out as a "lets-try-it-see-if-it-will-work-why-not-a-NAHBS-bike" :D There was a substantially amount of feedback from the show and with Nick Crumpton giving it a :thumbup: the conversation about offering it has come up. It will be ridden for awhile to access the durability and any shortcomings, then decided if it will be an option to the current Unleaded 29er or a "new" frame.

Thanks for the inquire though.

Phill P

by Phill P

very fancy build. How do the rotors work with heat? When I was in Taiwan I saw a small stand where the guy had ceramic buttons set in a carbon disc.

I think you need to up the gold high lights. A gold chain, full gold seat binder, gold bottle cage bolts. I'm thinking you need something different for the hydraulic lines. Metallic gold lines woulden suit the rough metal of the frame though. Maybe dark grey hose instead of black?
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com