Light, reliable semi-integrated headset?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Hi all,

I have just come by a new frame which takes a semi-integrated headset...

What light, reliable headset should I go for that doesn't cost the earth (say under £70)? As close to 10mm stack height as possible is a bonus too.

Most headset seem to be around the 70-80g mark which is good but if we can go lower that is great :)

Cane Creek 10 Series Zero stack is listed as the lightest from Cane Creek, 62g (starnut and top cap not included in this?) for £30. The only issue is many parts are listed as being "polymer" which screams fast wearing to me especially when this cheap. The 40 series headsets go up to 89g which is not so impressive. Maybe 89g is good if it includes a heavy, top cap, bolt and starnut???

FSA headsets seem quite weighty but cheap.

Tune Bubu is around 65g (minus starnut, top cap and bolt) has a very low stack height but costs a fair bit (140 Euro). I am also not sold on Tune's general reliability.

The Extralite Scalhead seems like the only true WW option at around 45g (minus starnut, top cap and bolt), but is pricey again and the bearings look far too tiny to last too long in a British Winter (or Summer for that matter!). Any thoughts or experiences?

So it appears anything around the 60g mark (minus starnut, top cap and bolt) is pretty Weightweenie.

The only option besides going for reliability in the form of heavy Hope or CK seems to be "Mortop".

http://www.purebike.fr/en/mortop-m78/mortop-hi-65-semi-integrated-headset-a1248.html

60g for the headset, 65g with top cap and bolt for £30 seems pretty good :) Also says 5.2mm stack height :shock: The only problem is many users on other forums report play particularly in the upper race, most likely due to the absence of a compression ring to take up any play. :(

So where does that leave recommendations for a light, reliable and cheap(ish) headset? Should I pay the extra for Tune? Will the durability be ok? Or should I take the hit on a few g's and go with Hope/ Cane Creek/ CK?

Many thanks in advance!

DanW

DanW

by DanW

I would also add to the list the KCNC Radient R2, £80, 64g for headset only (so 80g ish all in).

Any thoughts?

Extralite or Tune Bubu seems like the only real WW options but durability concerns me. Everything else seems much of a muchness weight wise :/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vfb

by vfb

I would go with Chris king, don´t know the weight but it is fit and forget! :D
I ride for fun

DanW

by DanW

I have an regular (external) CK and have been very happy with it but am curious as to lighter weight when swapping the frame and going to semi-integrated headsets...

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Chris King does a semi-integrated headsets nowadays.

I have both Tube BuBu and KCNC Radiant. No problems whatsoever with both.

Split bottom race is very useful. Aluminum top race(the one that gets rid of play) makes any headset more durable and smooth. I had problems with other headsets where this part is made out of plastic/derilyn and wears out.

I can remommend both. BTW what frame did you get?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Acros perhaps?
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

DanW

by DanW

Acros are reasonably weighty and also pretty expensive so offer much the same as Hope/ CK as far as I can see. They were definitely in my mind though.

Chris, good to know that you have good experiences with both the Tune and KCNC. At present I am tempted to go for KCNC if bottom races are easily available as it is light, has low stack height and is £30-40 cheaper than Tune.

New frame is a Merida 96- really looking forward to my first proper WW frame/ build! :-)

socratease

by socratease

Cane creek 10s are garbage. SCHWARBAGE. However, the 40s and 110s are fit and forget.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

The Cane Creek 110 series stuff is the best available in my opinion.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

qwpy

by qwpy

krzysiekmz wrote:Chris King does a semi-integrated headsets nowadays.

I have both Tube BuBu and KCNC Radiant. No problems whatsoever with both.

Split bottom race is very useful. Aluminum top race(the one that gets rid of play) makes any headset more durable and smooth. I had problems with other headsets where this part is made out of plastic/derilyn and wears out.

I can remommend both. BTW what frame did you get?

Chris.

Hi krzysiekmz

I wonder if you can help? i have a Tune BUBU, but i am not sure if i am missing a part out the box as it does not spin.

I wonder, please can you look at my topic?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=141378&p=1261826#p1261826

Thanks in advance : )

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

In KCNC radiant you have Cane Creek bearings. If some one is interested,I have one that bearing for sale-->little OT,sorry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com