Frustrated Canadian - CAAD 10's in Vancouver??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I'm not sure anybody expected the CAAD 10 to be as popular as it was in the first year. They should have, however, known by the second year that they were going to be huge. I see Specialized has thrown it's hat back into the high end alloy ring as well. Mind you, I'm pretty sure it's a lot more expensive than the CAAD 10 and quite simply put, the CAAD 10 is without equal at it's price level.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

"Monday" has been bumped to "this week" by the lbs....stay tuned... :|
2013 CAAD 10 105
My wallet gets more weight-weenie by the day.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

What kind of loaner bike did they give you? Do you still have it?

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

I do, it's a SuperSix High-mod with a mix of 105 and Ultegra bits.
Was definitely not babied in it's past life, showing signs of being dropped a few times, but not bad overall.
Only problem is the demo frame is a few cm too big for me, so the fit-comfort is not quite there.
2013 CAAD 10 105

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Sigh...

In, what I can only describe as a final twist of fate, took the demo for what was likely to be my last ride on it just now. A short 14km loop from my place with about 230m in rather high gradient ascent, and a lovely long descent on the other side. 1/2 way up the second of 5 steep climbs the chain breaks (the actual side of the link snapped in two at the round end, never seen that before) and takes a tooth out of the smaller chain ring with it for good measure(or vice versa). Yeah...this has not been a welcoming foray back into the world of bikes! Luckily only half the link snapped and I was able to turn back and coast about half way home, then baby it the rest of the way. Damn.

EDIT
Upon closer inspection it seems the tooth broke first I think
2013 CAAD 10 105

Buffalo

by Buffalo

So it is still a chain, just withs half broken link? Sounds crazy. Good thing it didn't completely snap!

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Buffalo wrote:So it is still a chain, just withs half broken link? Sounds crazy. Good thing it didn't completely snap!

yup! Never seen that happen before.
Effectively now has one single-sided link.
Will take a pic and post it tonight when I get a sec.

(talk about going off topic...ah well)
2013 CAAD 10 105

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Just got a call....the bike is in today!!! Getting built right now.

Waaahoooo!!

Pics to follow!
2013 CAAD 10 105

boolinwall

by boolinwall

And a big cheer comes up from the crowd!!!!

KLabs

by KLabs

604Yarks wrote:Just got a call....the bike is in today!!! Getting built right now.
Waaahoooo!!
Pics to follow!

Hi 604Yarks, you must really, really like the CAAD 10 :)

What is it that you really, really like about them ... thanks :)

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Victory!
See here for my new intro post:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113425&p=968343#p968343

KLabs, looks aside (and frankly, I do think it's a gorgeous frame and color scheme) I did several months of research both here and generally online to determine what I wanted.
The CAAD 10 really seemed to fit the bill.
I guess the extra anticipation factor of waiting for so long just built the excitement level as well.
Hopped on it for two quick laps of the block tonight after picking it up and first impression was immediately that I made the right decision.
I've been on a demo SuperSix High-Mod for the past 6 months...and the CAAD just blew it away. (to be fair the 'six was a few years old, and the frame was a bit big for me)
The first word to pop into my head as I road the first few meters was "smooth". Even with all the hype, I really didn't expect the Alu frame to feel like that.
Time will tell of course, but I'd say the new bike and I are going to get along just fine. :D
2013 CAAD 10 105

dvincere

by dvincere

That was my exact experience last spring. I spent an inconceivable amount of time deciding which bike was going to be my next one -- my first nice bike really. So many hours of research went into it. Then I had to find one, but everywhere I called was out of the particular model I wanted until... one shop was getting a final shipment in and had my size, model, AND color. Sitting on the bike when it was built was a near-religious experience. I knew I had made the right choice with my hard-earned money. The bike is a culmination of years of refinement in both materials and design, and it is perfectly balanced in all characteristics. Sure there are better bikes in one area or another but none have been better in many ways or came close to the price.

Enjoy the new steed. Ride it fast, far, and often.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm in need of some assistance from my fellow WW.

Did a search and came up with nothing, so I thought I post my question here in this thread as it pertains to Vancouver and Cannondale somewhat.

I'm looking for a shop/mechanic to install some EE brakes and Alligator ilink + ilink mini that I recently picked up. My usual guy hasn't worked with these components before, and I've been told be other board members that it can be a tricky system to setup correctly. I will be changing over to the new 2013 Sram Red on my bike along with swapping out the current brakes and cabling for the EE brakes and ilinks. I don't have the tools nor the experience to accomplish this task and would like it to be done by an experience mechanic.

So I'm asking if anyone here knows of a shop/mechanic that has experience with installing EE Brakes and Alligator ilinks + mini ilinks. I'm located in Vancouver and can drive anywhere in the GVRD if necessary. Whistler and Squamish is a little far, but I'm willing to drive out there if they are highly recommended.

Essentially, I need all of my old drivetrain parts removed and replaced with a 2013 Sram Red drivetrain (shifters, F+R der and cassette, keeping old crank). Obviously I will also need my recently acquired EE Brakes and ilinks installed as well.

PM if you guys know of anyone and we can work something out.

Thanks in advance.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

604Yarks

by 604Yarks

Hmm not sure, have you tried la bicycletta?
2013 CAAD 10 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vuong05

by Vuong05

604Yarks wrote:Hmm not sure, have you tried la bicycletta?

Already did and just waiting to hear back from them. I'm guessing it is the long weekend and everyone is closed until Tuesday.

Sent emails out to Strada Cycles, La Bicicletta and Vancouver Bike gallery so far. Received one response from Strada cycles saying they will let me know when their mechanics get in on Tuesday.

If you know of anyone that can do this, let me know or get them to contact me.

Thanks.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)