First race next weekend.....

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

liam7020

by liam7020

eric - totally agree, a "learning" category with a graduation system is an excellent idea.

Tinea - another problem highlighted. Many of the cat 4 courses are way too easy, so you end up with 80 riders going for the last corner with at least 60 of them not having a f*4kin' clue how they're going to get round it. We need a few more hills to weed out the Cav wannabees who can't actually ride their bikes in a straight line.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I think it's more people overreacting and over correcting the situation that gets them into trouble.
Actually learning to be more relaxed and learning to bump into others will limit the number of crashes.
You have to be relaxed and flexible on the bike not tense and rigid.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Tinea Pedis wrote:More hills in Italian races though micky, no?

That helps thin fields out.

Not in my area, last saturday my race had over 180 starters and lot of side wind.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

liam7020 wrote:We need a few more hills to weed out the Cav wannabees who can't actually ride their bikes in a straight line.

Even the pro's deck it in sprints - it happens, regardless of skill levels.

It also doesn't even need to be a 'hill', even just a little pinch is excellent. Do it 20-30 times across the distance of a race and it soon takes its toll.

On the whole, the safest sprint finishes I have seen are uphill. Our club moved to make more races like this, in an attempt to reduce crashes.

sawyer

by sawyer

Have any of the UK based riders here raced Hog Hill and can comment on the safety vs. other circuits given the steep hill ... that must thin things out a bit?

In french and italian mass start sportives (races) I always like sharp hills near the start as it favours my abilities and thins the field down dramatically.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

JamieL

by JamieL

I've raced at Hog hill a couple of times and i'd say it's about the same as Hillingdon. The hill strings thing out but every lap you have to go back down again and some of the corners at the bottom are quick and people are chasing to get back on so take some risks.
That's not to say that it is bad, just not risk-free.
The best way to stay out of trouble is to hit the front early and stay there...Good luck with that :)

welkman

by welkman

I will report back on Saturday. I have also entered a more open cat3/4 race so I will see if that is a bit safer.

Cheers

DividedVolta

by DividedVolta

Regardless of how it goes, good luck and stay safe! Keep an eye out for the squirrels.

ave

by ave

>Get new genes. I, for one, wish I had chosen my parents more wisely.
I would never say that, altough I'm very far from perfect.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Your first bike race? One thing, and one thing only....
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'd say the best advice for your first race is to go ahead and sign up for the next one. Don't over think it or build it up too much, there are plenty of races left.

welkman

by welkman

Raining, mud and sand everywhere, crash on a corner, massive crash in the sprint but I stayed at the front and came home third on my Sora equipped CAAD 8 (UK version). Awesome race, really looking forward to the next crit and net week's two up TT :beerchug:

LouisN

by LouisN

Congrats Welkman :beerchug: !!!

LOuis :)

micky

by micky

Well done!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com