Cento Uno Frame Crash

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dbecks7

by dbecks7

So today on a training ride I had a pretty bad crash on my Cento Uno at about 22 mph ( lost control after rolling over some rumble strips accidentely), luckily I was not hurt that bad nor was the frame at it appreared. I only had a popped tube but the SRAM Red deraiuler, frame, bars and crank appeared unscaved. My question is, do you think it is wise to take the bike to a bike shop and get it checked out by a professional to ensure it is safe to ride again? How is this normally done?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

if there is no visible damage I'd ride it. Carbon is either fine or it's not.

sharkman

by sharkman

you are talking about aluminium or steel but certainly not carbon.
Carbon is either perfectly fine, looking fine but underneath hiding serious fiber damage and representing a perfect time bomb waiting for a fail or showing optical damage.
First and last are obvious but I've seen mint frames that survived a serious crash that failed suddenly at a later stage.

Just a slide at a not too high speed normally will be fine but every frame that survived a serious crash would eather be x rayed or binned immediately.

rhyslewisdavies

by rhyslewisdavies

Definitely get it checked out - i crashed a C50 some 7 years ago and it looked fine but every time i rode it and hit speed the whole bike would shake andhte only way i could stop it was to put my right knee against the top tube!! Sent it back to Colnago who X Rayed it and confirmed that the fibres were badly damaged and the whole rear end needed replacing.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I would ride it and see for yourself. If you hear strange pops or creaks, it seems squirrelly all of a sudden then get it checked out.
If every time a carbon frame went down (road Mtb or cross) it was sent off for X-rays or tossed in the can, then carbon would not be a very popular material for frames.
Just my 2¢.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I'm not having my 10yr old Look KG381i x-rayed, and I'm sure it's fine even though I can't remember the tumble (out to it + the old clavicular).
Darn plastic bikes! I'm going back to real steel.
Less is more.

dbecks7

by dbecks7

Will there be an obvious crack or squeak of the carbon fiber bars if they were fractured?

Horacio

by Horacio

Straddle the bike, put you hands in the drops, push and pull up and down really hard. You'll know if there's a problem.

dcl10

by dcl10

dbecks7 wrote:So today on a training ride I had a pretty bad crash on my Cento Uno at about 22 mph ( lost control after rolling over some rumble strips accidentely), luckily I was not hurt that bad nor was the frame at it appreared. I only had a popped tube but the SRAM Red deraiuler, frame, bars and crank appeared unscaved. My question is, do you think it is wise to take the bike to a bike shop and get it checked out by a professional to ensure it is safe to ride again? How is this normally done?

Thanks

You might want to get it checked out out, but if you just went down and didn't really hit anything it's probably fine. I was coming back from a race with some 90mm wheels on my bike, and there were pretty strong gusts that day, 45mph. On of the straps on my rack broke, and the bike flew off on the highway at 85 mph and into a drainage ditch. It had some bad road rash and bent the saddle rails, but other than that it was fine, carbon bars and all.

Horacio

by Horacio

Holy smokes!!
Precisely why I am going away from a suction cup rack and to a hitch mounted one. That sucker popped off on me one time. Scared the crap out of me! Plus I hated all the bugs and whatnot on the front of the bike and the downtube.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If you are just taking one bike with you and it's expensive put in the trunk.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Jere

by Jere

You can not put it in the trunk , nobody would know how super cool you are!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com