£650/$900 to spend on wheels...what would you get?/why

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

teleguy57

by teleguy57

So for those of you recommending tubulars -- which alloy tubular rim for this price/performance range? Is there a decent carbon rim to consider without breaking the bank?

sawyer

by sawyer

teleguy57 wrote:So for those of you recommending tubulars -- which alloy tubular rim for this price/performance range? Is there a decent carbon rim to consider without breaking the bank?

it's unclear as to whether the OP's question is £650 for three wheelsets or one. I answered on the basis of the latter ... that i wouldn't blow more than £300 ish on clinchers and then save up for tubulars.

at the low end you have the generic farsports /gigantex stuff which in tubular form is a better bet than clincher, and decently light.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

dvincere wrote:As for your requirements and other suggestions here... C24's are out of your price range likely unless you go finding a use set.

Independent testing, such as the Tour Magazine have shown the difference between a good aluminum alloy setup and a cheap aero carbon is often nothing. The Zonda's come within 2-3 watts of many ~45-50 mm deep carbon wheels that cost 3 times as much. The older Kinlin rim beats many of them by a couple watts. What's not to like about that value proposition?

Disagree, 30 seconds with google shopping shows C24s for £639.99 from the UK - Mine came without VAT as I'm in Switzerland.

Agree regarding carbon / aluminium wheels - I have Mavic CCUs, Edge Carbons and so on in the shed, but choose 99% of the time to ride the C24s as they are nice and stiff, comfortable, roll nicely, bombproof but best of all they brake really well in the wet down hill, which is much more important than weight in my experience - Uphill a 10km hill (lots here) you lose a few seconds on weight and gain maybe a minute because you can brake confidently into every corner. On dry sunny days the CCUs are nice though.

sawyer

by sawyer

mrfish wrote:
dvincere wrote:As for your requirements and other suggestions here... C24's are out of your price range likely unless you go finding a use set.

Independent testing, such as the Tour Magazine have shown the difference between a good aluminum alloy setup and a cheap aero carbon is often nothing. The Zonda's come within 2-3 watts of many ~45-50 mm deep carbon wheels that cost 3 times as much. The older Kinlin rim beats many of them by a couple watts. What's not to like about that value proposition?

Disagree, 30 seconds with google shopping shows C24s for £639.99 from the UK - Mine came without VAT as I'm in Switzerland.

Agree regarding carbon / aluminium wheels - I have Mavic CCUs, Edge Carbons and so on in the shed, but choose 99% of the time to ride the C24s as they are nice and stiff, comfortable, roll nicely, bombproof but best of all they brake really well in the wet down hill, which is much more important than weight in my experience - Uphill a 10km hill (lots here) you lose a few seconds on weight and gain maybe a minute because you can brake confidently into every corner. On dry sunny days the CCUs are nice though.

C24 clinchers are not stiff. They aren't noodles, but aren't a stiff wheel. You should know that with CCUs! :wink:

My assessment is based on personal experience, the stiffness tests Tour and others have done, and the experience of other owners.

I also think "bombroof" is generous, based on the same factors except the Tour tests. They aren't bad durability wise, but below all the wheels I've had from Campagnolo for instance.

Where they excel is the lightness of rim and comfort - agree with you absolutely on that.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

My question relates to one type of wheels to buy for around £650 which I need to have 3 pairs for personal reasons.
I have A multitude of carbon tubs,aka I dont need to save up for tubs etc. I just wondered what wheels people recommend for this price range..
great help so far,Still leaning towards the 9000's c24's. I have been used to riding Kysrium Sl's for your reference.
Many thanks
Bruce

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@4crosswheels- In that price range, you would have a ton of options. You could always wait for the new Alchemy hubs to be released. Those would have wider flange spacing than the Shimano build, and it would be much easier to make them lighter as well. Those hubs laced to A23 OCs or Archetypes would make for a pretty stout build.