2013 Parlee Z5i

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

3delis

by 3delis

Once again, with the help of Jason from Fairwheel Bikes, I dove head first into another bike build. Was looking for a more compact frame and liked the option of the tall headtube from Parlee's Z5i. So, got a ST (small, tall). All internal full housing cable routing. Rode it last weekend for first time and really enjoyed the ride - was exactly what I was looking for.

Will post build list eventually, but weight came to 6.22 kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Nice build! 8) :thumbup:

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Nice build, Fairwheel and Jason are great to deal with.
The Z5 range is hard to beat for all round capability. Enjoy riding your Z5i, they are great bikes
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

congrats. :thumbup:
is that New Ultimate seatpost?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Nice work! Good mixed gruppo selection :mrgreen:

wasabi1

by wasabi1

I have a new found love affair with parlee's!

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Lovely bike and great harmonised build, however, those tall headtubes look ridiculous!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@stevec1975 - to you they might look ridiculous, but to a rider like me who needs a taller head tube (long legs, short torso) they are a godsend. Looks far better than riding with an upturned stem or a spacer tower. On my XL frame it probably doesn't look as obvious.
Anyway having a bike fit properly is far more important than appeasing the "fashion police"

I think it is fantastic that Parlee provides a solution for riders needing a longer head tube,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

kaaos

by kaaos

I think tall head tube is not a reason why this frame looks aesthetically strange.
This strange (or what stevec1975 calls ridiculous) look comes from connection point, of top and head tubes, sitting too low.
If top tube is connected to the head tube at the very top, this frame will look really good. It would mean that all "Tall Head Tube" Parlee frames will have more slope than "Normal Head Tube" frames and to me that would look far more aesthetically pleasing.

I understand why some people need taller head tube I just don't know why Parlee chose to do it this way.

kaaos

by kaaos

Before:

Connection point of top tube and head tube lifted up (photoshop retouched):

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Thanks Kaaos, that's pretty much exactly my point, in a much more eloquent way. Fully agree a bike needs to fit but there are better ways of doing it as alluded to.

Arc

by Arc

That might work and look ok on a small frame, but question is how it would look on a xl frame.
Remember that the Z5i is a production frame available in both normal and tall headtube.

Above is possible - if you want to pay for custom frame :)

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Arc wrote:That might work and look ok on a small frame, but question is how it would look on a xl frame.
Remember that the Z5i is a production frame available in both normal and tall headtube.

Above is possible - if you want to pay for custom frame :)

Sorry, I believe what you're talking about is just not so. This thread shows a size Small frame. As you increase the frame size in the Z5 models, the space increases between where the toptube and downtube meet the headtube. I'm sure the location on the smaller sizes has to do with more than aesthetics.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

3delis

by 3delis

phallenthoul - thanx for comment - seatpost is actuallly a Mcfk (debadged) - i think it fits great

Stevec1975 - in a perfect world i agree with you 100% - not the greatest aesthetically with the tall head tube, but much more preferable than a stack of spacers. I'm nearing the half century mark, so not as flexible anymore - so for me a great solution to get into a more compact frame.

I like your photoshop, but don't think that your correction looks all that great either - i think somewhere between current setup and your photoshop would probably be perfect :beerchug:

i appreciate the touch-up, neat to see what it would look like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3delis

by 3delis

Partial Build List

2013 Parlee Z5i ST
Enve 2.0 fork
EE Cycleworks Brakeset
FSA nano Bars
Extralite Stem