Best stability cleat pedal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Body

by Body

winky wrote:The Shimano pedal platform is about the same wideness as the Look Keo Max. However, the Shimano cleat itself is alot wider than the Look Keos. That is important.

Is this also with the Look Keo Blade?
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

winky

by winky

Body wrote:
winky wrote:The Shimano pedal platform is about the same wideness as the Look Keo Max. However, the Shimano cleat itself is alot wider than the Look Keos. That is important.

Is this also with the Look Keo Blade?

Yes. If you go to a bike shop and compare the Shimano pedals to Look Keo Max pedals (including Keo Blade), the pedal platform is about the same. But when you compare the width of the Shimano cleat and the Look Keo cleats (any Keo cleat) you will see that the Shimano cleat is noticeably wider. So, the wider cleat of the Shimano would, in theory, add more stability to the pedal platform.

madmole

by madmole

Try some Keywins, As stable and a MUCH bigger platform that all the others combined
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

by 11.4

I love SPD-SL's for road, but I should point out that the SPD-SL cleat has huge wings to walk on, but the actual area of the pedal to cleat interface isn't much more than Look or Time. The rest is just plastic hanging out in the air. If you want stability, one additional thing to try is simply a new pair of cleats. As cleats get worn your stability decreases and this afflicts all plastic cleats. If your cleats are worn, simply changing cleats may offer a big improvement. And I watch riders panic about millimeter changes in saddle height but ride their cleats until they are worn to nubs; change them every 2-3 months and you'll be a lot happier.

Body

by Body

I got the SPD SL pedals with fixed cleats. I noticed that I had to adjust the pedals with toes out. Feels much better. I cycled 2 weeks now with these pedals but on Saturday I get no knee problems and the second day I get knee problems. I do not understand why.

I have decided to arrange an appointed with a sport doctor who will check my bike position, legs, knees etc.
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

eric

by eric

Sometimes knee pain is due to overuse, like doing a couple days of climbing when you haven't been doing it for a while. That can happen even with the cleats positioned perfectly for you.

I also pedal with toes slightly out. But not too much as that makes you pedal bow legged.

PJCM

by PJCM

Another plug for Keywin.

Extremely stable in that not only is the cleat interface large, it is also static. The cleat does not move at all once engaged - the entire pedal body pivots on the axle.

There is 6 degrees of float for which the resistance is adjustable or float locked out entirely.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Yep, Keywin are the ultimate.

mann2

by mann2

keo blades plus black cleats (zero float). nothing wobbles.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Time Xpresso.

Ciao, ;)

+1 on the Time Xpresso -- pretty wide platform on those

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Body wrote:
I am thinking about SPD SL and Look Keo Blade.

Thanks

I am thinking the same. I've got blades on now and I just sold a pair of dura ace. Maybe a couple minor points in the dura ace's favour, but the blades are lighter. Alot.

I'm not sure about the campy records. They're pretty heavy though, I would really only get those if I was matching things.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Another vote for the Keywins. Have tried VP (SPD), Looks and Time.

Keywin advantages:
Huge platform are = better stability.
Glassy smooth bearings - even after 30,000km.
Very easy to service at home.
Low stack height
Not sprung from the back unlike the others (different lock in mechanism) which means that I can't pull my foot out in a sprint when i'm powering with the hamstrings.
Light.
No weight limit (I'm heavy).
One on one service (dialogue) with the product fella who makes them.
Not asian made (origin = NZ) = help supporting the manufacturing sector which is struggling to compete against dollar a day wages OS.
Long cleat life (slippery buggers to walk in though).
Choice of axle length.

I'm sure there are other benefits but these are a few of the points that I can think of.

I have no vested interest in the company - just a happy customer.

Cheers.

mrfish

by mrfish

I'm with FDE.

The main difference between the Time (and to a lesser extent the Speedplay) platform and others is that you don't walk on the bits of the cleat that are supposed to support your pedaling. Certainly a new Shimano cleat works nicely, but after 6 months of walking around to tinker with the bike, drink coffee, pump tyres etc it will need to be worn. I wouldn't bother with the Looks at all as the Shimano design is simply functionally better. Weight is a bit higher, but in real life it makes almost zero difference. SPD-Rs are also OK - I have 2 pairs for track, but I'd say Time are better for the road. I would recommend the older RXS pedals as these have part-metal cleats which last almost for ever.

eric

by eric

My SPD-SL cleats last a year or more, and I replace them early.

When you walk on hard surfaces the rubber bumpers contact the ground so the parts that fit into the pedal don't wear.
Not true on gravel of course.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Cleats don't wear whilst pedalling. How could they?
They all wear whenever you unclip. Same goes for shoecovers btw.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com