FSA K-Force - Another faulty crank arm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Hey guys,

After hearing creaks and clicking in my bike I got home and begun to go around checking everything over and I found this. This arm is only around 3months old too!

Less than ideal, but is it still rideable? At least for the mean time whilst a replacement is found? All thats missing is the self extracting bolt assembly so it is being held on by friction. Similar to a 3 piece crank arm.

And any ideas about how to remove this?

Cheers,

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I went through 4 pairs of the original K-force cranks in just over 2 years. I'd either rip the pedal insert out or delaminate it at the BB. I noticed that Spartacus was using gossamers relabeled as K-force during his CSC days. I feel your pain buddy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwb

by dwb

That is not safe to ride. Without any pinch bolts, friction is not enough to keep the arm secure. Once you obtain the self extracting bolt assembly, you can just install the assembly and then remove the arm. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

This is why I choose NOT to ride with co-molded carbon/alloy cranks...they FAIL under consistent, high-wattage loads.
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

theremery

by theremery

Darcy, there isn't any tearing of the metal or delamination of the carbon or seperation of the carbon from the aluminium is there? (hard to tell from the picture).....if there isn't......I can send you a bolt and extractor cap (I never use them anyway....I use an old-school crank puller) to tide you over until a matching one arrives. It's Geoff. Ring/txt me 021 2162328....get a bolt in it NOW.....and I'll send you a "semi matching one" while your replacement arrives.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Update,

So this is how I'm running it atm

Found a bolt from one of the other K-Force cranks I have been through. So this will hold it on. Just need to get another self extracting bolt set up and loctite it in and hopefully get my crank off.

What loctite would be best suited to holding the self extracting bolt in?

@Theremery The cranks fine from the looks of it. I need to get a new self extracting bolt set up so I'll just put one on order and I've got bolt in it now so I'll be sweet till then.

dwb

by dwb

That bolt, when adequately torqued, should render the bike safe to ride. I use Permatex threadlocker blue #24240 in this type of application. Your best bet is to stick with the blue threadlockers; do not use red.

theremery

by theremery

yep....just a low strength loctite will be fine. Red is overkill and may lead to dramas if you later decide to pull the crank using a standard extractor.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

mikipov

by mikipov

I also happened to me. I bought two to spare. It seems to me very lightweight but very weak .
The screw i cost €8 each.

http://mikipov.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/mantenimiento-bielas-bb30.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com