HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:03 pm 

So I will be picking up my first carbon bike this week. I am looking to see what others use as chain stay protectors.
I know, my first carbon bike? Well there has to be a first for everyone. I have to see what all this plastic bike stuff is about. :lol:
I would hate to drop a chain and screw up the stays. This is the stuff I used on some other bikes.
http://www.bestskinsever.com/diy-skins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does work good but looking to explore other options.

Thanks Skiezo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm 

i have been using 3M clearbra material for headlights (slightly thicker) and can be bought or sourced at auto places. my Parlee already had some on...but on the head tube, i cut some film and applied it so that the cables don't rub the paint down to the carbon. although the Z5 SL is a matte black, the film makes for a shiny surface.

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm 

Lizard Skins seems to be attach and forget.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 pm 

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TP ... UTF8&psc=1

It should last (me) a lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 pm 

Adjust your chain to the proper length for your gearing and install a chain catcher and you'll never need a chainstay protector. It'll be lighter and, most importantly, look better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 pm 

kode54 wrote:
i have been using 3M clearbra material for headlights (slightly thicker) and can be bought or sourced at auto places. my Parlee already had some on...but on the head tube, i cut some film and applied it so that the cables don't rub the paint down to the carbon. although the Z5 SL is a matte black, the film makes for a shiny surface.

+1 on the automotive clear film protector.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 am 

dvincere wrote:
Adjust your chain to the proper length for your gearing and install a chain catcher and you'll never need a chainstay protector. It'll be lighter and, most importantly, look better.

Yep. Unless you ride over pavé roads 24/7 or this is a cyclocross setup, you should not really need a chainstay protector on a road bike. On a mountain bike, however, they're a necessity.

And, in theory (and often in practice, but not always), a properly set up system won't need a chain catcher either. I keep one on, despite the weight penalty, because it was put to use once, but never since.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:02 am 

I often ride down quite bumpy roads at speed. (prendrefeu- like Yerba Buena but rougher and with less sand). The combination of speed and bumps has the chain bouncing around a lot. Sometimes it hits the frame. I put a protector on my bikes that don't already have one. I cut them out of adhesive backed flexible clear plastic sold as number plate backgrounds for off road racing motorcycles, because I have a bunch of it left over. It's a little thick for this application so I would recommend something else.

I haven't weighed it but it can't be more than 8-10g. The stock foam pad on my Cervelo probably weighs more.

In theory my front derailleur which is adjusted correctly shouldn't throw the chain off to the inside, but in practice I shifted both front and rear at the same time as I hit a big unseen bump and the chain wedged between the crank and my week old Cervelo R3SL frame so hard that I needed to call for a ride home.

I use a chain catcher on that bike now. And a couple pieces of tape on the stay where the chain would wedge if it did it again. Your mileage may vary but its one of those things that you don't need until you do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 am 

Yeah, ok, Yerba Buena is nasty. I often think that each time down it the titanium in arm will come loose from the bone. :lol:
The Ventura County portion is horrible while the bits that are within LA County limits are smooth like melted butter.

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am 

eric wrote:
I use a chain catcher on that bike now. And a couple pieces of tape on the stay where the chain would wedge if it did it again. Your mileage may vary but its one of those things that you don't need until you do.
This is it. A little extra for the sh!t happens.
I don't use a chain guide, though. Should I drop it it lands on the BB cup (very smooth transitions in the BB area on the Bianchi Infinito), and is put back easily with the front derailleur.