Rapha Gentleman's Race 2013

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bigpun

by bigpun

Does anybody know where I can find more information about the 2013 Rapha Gentlemen's Races? I can't find anything on-line. I am looking for where and when and how to register. I know there are quite a few of them. I am looking for ones in North America. Thanks in advance.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i was under the impression it's invititation partly

and judging from my breif google search it's a team application. If they have a slot open, your team registers, and if approved, you can ride the ride.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f4 ... 26894.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Hey, it's unsanctioned. Maybe Lance will ride.

djm

by djm

My UCI license doesn't allow me to participate in an unsanctioned race.. and if your local federation is up to date, neither should it I guess! :-)

bricky21

by bricky21

In the USA people are free to ride were they like. Are you allowed to train with friends, or solo on your own time schedule, or is there a governing body that dictates that for you?

dolophonic

by dolophonic

djm wrote:My UCI license doesn't allow me to participate in an unsanctioned race.. and if your local federation is up to date, neither should it I guess! :-)

taking yourself a bit serious today.. its fun people enjoy themselves. You should try it..!

djm

by djm

Sure I do enjoy myself! :-)

I even wear Rapha. While enjoying myself!

That said the Norwegian federation issued a stern warning a couple of years ago, stating that anyone participating in a cycling race not sanctioned by the NCF/UCI was in risk of being suspended from competition for one month. Not a very long suspension, but a suspension none the less. And this stern warning was issued towards the typical sportive, recreational cyclist, not necessarily directed at elite cyclists (who hadn't really partaken in many of the unsanctioned races).

Naturally I assume the organizers of such unsanctioned races make sure the participants are covered by insurance, or make sure to properly notify license holders that they risk a suspension and that the insurance from their UCI license could be void in such a race. At least that would be a good thing to do to limit their possible liability.

UCIs General Regulations - Forbidden races

No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

A national federation may grant special exceptions for races or particular events run in its own

country.

Licence holders may not participate in activities organised by a national federation that has been suspended, save in application of article 18.2 of the UCI constitution.

Breaches of articles 1.2.019 or 1.2.020 shall render the licence holder liable to one month's suspension and a fine of CHF 50 to 100.

afalts

by afalts

Same in Canada, djm. Though, I don't know anyone that has received a penalty despite their participation in unsanctioned events.

djm

by djm

As is the story with many of UCI's rules... fairly pointless and never in use. Until they all of a sudden choose to apply them in some absurd manner.

Maybe they could use it to shut down Strava? :-P

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Perhaps. Lance flaunted his lifetime ban by "competing" on Strava http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110993&p=958862#p958862

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmanley

by tmanley

I hope they do another one in the Northwest.