Opinions on New Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

LionelB wrote:Is the Parlee Z0 out yet on the road ?

I haven't read an actual road review so I'm assuming it's not out yet. Proud owners of these are usually quick to post opinions.

eric

by eric

If a stock frame fits you and your usage, there's nothing wrong with it.

When adding up the weight penalty of discs, don't forget to include the rotors themselves, the heavier hubs plus bolts and adapters. In addtion to the levers, cables/hoses and calipers. If the best currently available disc system is only 250g more than say EE brakes (remember this is a high end WW build) I would be very surprised.

Personally I think it'd be a shame to built a super expensive custom WW bike and hang the heavy current technology disc brakes on it, but it's your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbon2329

by carbon2329

We should be clear in regards to the Parlee Z0:

It has the options of disc brakes or Standard brakes.

I don't want others to get the impression it only comes with disc brakes (it doesn't. It is totally custom in every way).

Just take a look at the website (www.parleecycles.com) the first two pictures are of a Z0 without disc brakes and the next couple are of a Z0 with disc brakes.

If you want a total WW build you would not want disc braks. Sure you get get one pretty light, but it is not an "all-out WW build" type of frameset.

djconnel

by djconnel

The geometry on the Storck and the Cervelo are so dramatically different it's clear you've given the fit issue little consideration.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

djconnel wrote:The geometry on the Storck and the Cervelo are so dramatically different it's clear you've given the fit issue little consideration.

True -- although I realize fit is a key aspect, I did not consider it of paramount importance. I was under the impression that a proper fitting session for whatever frame I chose would provide a "good enough" fit -- not perfect, but good enough.

I guess the R5CA, being no longer in production, is out.

eric

by eric

audiophilitis wrote: I was under the impression that a proper fitting session for whatever frame I chose would provide a "good enough" fit -- not perfect, but good enough.

Depends on how "enough" that is. For example I'd balk at an expensive frame which required me to use a 9cm stem or a 14cm stem to get the bars in the right place or whose head tube was too long to get the bars low enough.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

eric wrote:
audiophilitis wrote: I was under the impression that a proper fitting session for whatever frame I chose would provide a "good enough" fit -- not perfect, but good enough.

Depends on how "enough" that is. For example I'd balk at an expensive frame which required me to use a 9cm stem or a 14cm stem to get the bars in the right place or whose head tube was too long to get the bars low enough.

Point well taken -- proper fit is critical.