Opinions on New Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Hope I don't get flamed for this but here goes...looking to embark on a new uber WW project. Have been researching frames and so far have the following on my short list:

1. Storck 0.6
2. Cervelo R5 CA
3. Parlee Z1 (?)

Although this will be a WW build, I've decided to go electronic -- Campy SR EPS (I've heard that the internal battery option will be out soon -- don't ask me how soon though!).

Would appreciate feedback on the above frames (pros/cons), as well as any additional frame recommendations. Many thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Those are great frames, but if you're spending that kind of money, get exactly what you want; full custom. Parlee offers this, and the ability to get the *exact* size, geometry, and layup you want for your size, weight and style.

I don't know too much about Storck, but I think they ship stock sizes only, and I'm pretty sure the R5ca only comes in stock sizes. Stock sizes also mean stock layups and stock paint. On a $9,000 frame, you really should demand complete satisfaction and get your idea of a perfect bike, not a generalized setup that works for most.

While the Storck and Cervelo are fixed in stone from the factory, the Parlee will be whatever you want- stable fondo bike, a crit racer, or a climbing special. And you'll be able to meet the builders, get fitted, explain your exact vision for the bike, and end up with a bike that's uniquely your vision and your baby. The relationship with the builder and the added value of their ideas is a great bonus.

Tell us how it goes.

-Tim

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Id look at the Parlee Zero as wel

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

what about the new guru photon?
crumpton?
etc.
i definitely agree you should go custom since money doesnt seem to be a limiting factor

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

SpinnerTim wrote:Those are great frames, but if you're spending that kind of money, get exactly what you want; full custom. Parlee offers this, and the ability to get the *exact* size, geometry, and layup you want for your size, weight and style.

I don't know too much about Storck, but I think they ship stock sizes only, and I'm pretty sure the R5ca only comes in stock sizes. Stock sizes also mean stock layups and stock paint. On a $9,000 frame, you really should demand complete satisfaction and get your idea of a perfect bike, not a generalized setup that works for most.

While the Storck and Cervelo are fixed in stone from the factory, the Parlee will be whatever you want- stable fondo bike, a crit racer, or a climbing special. And you'll be able to meet the builders, get fitted, explain your exact vision for the bike, and end up with a bike that's uniquely your vision and your baby. The relationship with the builder and the added value of their ideas is a great bonus.

Tell us how it goes.

-Tim

Thanks, Tim -- great feedback. Never thought about the full custom aspect but definitely makes sense. Yes, Storck only offers stock sizes (47, 51, 54 and 57).

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

coppercook62 wrote:Id look at the Parlee Zero as wel

Will do. The disk brake option on the Zero is interesting -- just concerned about the weight penalty.
Last edited by audiophilitis on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

wpccrunner wrote:what about the new guru photon?
crumpton?
etc.
i definitely agree you should go custom since money doesnt seem to be a limiting factor

Thanks -- will look into these as well.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

IMHO, the A2J Rolo and the Crumptom SL are your two top choices. Both are uberlight and custom. Both can be designed to weight in at less than 700 lbs.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

mnmasotto wrote:IMHO, the A2J Rolo and the Crumptom SL are your two top choices. Both are uberlight and custom. Both can be designed to weight in at less than 700 lbs.

Thanks!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

For a true WW build:

I would reccomend the
-Parlee Z0 (you don't have to get disc brakes and it is much lighter than the Z1)
-Crumpton (he cam make a frame great and superlight as well)

Nothing wrong with the Cervelo or Storck though.
-Stork 0.6,
I love this bike but the fact that many have had to trim their brake pads to fit wider rims, bothers me. (I don't want have to shave my pads down 1/3-1/2 to get my favorite rims to work. Maybe they will modify the design and it will work better)

The Z1 is a great bike, but not "that" light. (It's not heavy either)

jano

by jano

mnmasotto wrote:IMHO, the A2J Rolo and the Crumptom SL are your two top choices. Both are uberlight and custom. Both can be designed to weight in at less than 700 lbs.

A bike for an elephant?!

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

carbon2329 wrote:For a true WW build:

I would reccomend the
-Parlee Z0 (you don't have to get disc brakes and it is much lighter than the Z1)
-Crumpton (he cam make a frame great and superlight as well)

Nothing wrong with the Cervelo or Storck though.
-Stork 0.6,
I love this bike but the fact that many have had to trim their brake pads to fit wider rims, bothers me. (I don't want have to shave my pads down 1/3-1/2 to get my favorite rims to work. Maybe they will modify the design and it will work better)

The Z1 is a great bike, but not "that" light. (It's not heavy either)

So the weight penalty on the Z-Zero Disk is about 250 grams, right? If you offset caliper weight (about 160 grams for THM, w/o pads), that would bring down the delta to under 100 grams. Seems too good to be true.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I don't know if I understand?

The Z0 weight is estimated to be about 850 gm for a 56-ish ( +/-), with out disc brakes. So it's not a TOTAL LIGHT WEIGHT, but great for custom.
*(it's not 850gm with disc attachmets etc...)

Did I mis-interperete, if so just ignore me :D

If you want a TOTAL WW BUILD then a Crumpton superlight is the way to go. It will be custom and just about lighter than anything else (stock or custom).

I think I just realized what you said. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

I believe it is....to good to be true.

LionelB

by LionelB

Is the Parlee Z0 out yet on the road ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

carbon2329 wrote:I don't know if I understand?

The Z0 weight is estimated to be about 850 gm for a 56-ish ( +/-), with out disc brakes. So it's not a TOTAL LIGHT WEIGHT, but great for custom.
*(it's not 850gm with disc attachmets etc...)

Did I mis-interperete, if so just ignore me :D

If you want a TOTAL WW BUILD then a Crumpton superlight is the way to go. It will be custom and just about lighter than anything else (stock or custom).

I think I just realized what you said. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

I believe it is....to good to be true.

Sorry I was unclear -- I was referring to the incremental increase in weight for the disk brake option to be about 250 grams versus standard caliper/rim brakes.