Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Fdegrove- vittorias have it. Leaves you a nice present on the rim when changing tires.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

fdegrove wrote:Just curious. Which manufacturer is still using latex on top of the base tape?

Ciao, )

veloflex, at least i assume it's latex

when removing a tyre it stays stuck to the rim, leaving the basetape almost clean of it, mostly bare fabric

putting a layer of glue over it allows another tyre to be fitted ok, but the stuff becomes a squidgy mess that oozes out under pressure

when time comes to remove the second tyre, it too leaves behind all the latex, at that point i give up and clean the rim back

i haven't bought any tyres for a while, and still have a couple waiting to have the stuff scraped off, if they've stopped using it it'd be nice

pawnii

by pawnii

umm so do i need to stretch my Vittoria Corsa CX?
If so, can you stretch them on clincher rims?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Bukes

by Bukes

Just curious. Which manufacturer is still using latex on top of the base tape?

My last set of Vittoria Corsa CX tubulars had latex on top of the base tape - this, plus the large seam made for a not-so-confident installation.

I've since switched to Continental tubulars (GP4000) and am quite pleased with this setup. The combination of the cotton base tape, seamless construction (interfaces better with the edges of the rim), and Mastik One glue make removing these tires a painful experience - which is exactly what I want :)

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

743power wrote:Fdegrove- vittorias have it. Leaves you a nice present on the rim when changing tires.

On the majority of their road tyres Vittoria is not using latex on top of the base tape but a rather more complex protection which basically acts as a fungicide and acts as a capital investor at the same time. It make their tyres harder to repair manually.
PM me or try to repair some manually if you're stuck.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Cula

by Cula

Anyone know where I can you buy new base tape from, all I can find is rim tape?

Uk is preferable, but Europe is fine

Thanks

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As I recall the only source that was ever mentioned on this forum was based in the US.
They offer a number of twill woven fabrics that are similar to what you'd find on a tubular.

Before I go digging through the forum's database though, did you really remove all of the base tape of that tub?
If so, is there any good reason to put it back on?

The reason I'm asking is that it sure is not easy to put a base tape back on straight and it also takes a cement that stays supple enough and is up to the task. Barge cement has been mentioned for this which is also availble in the US. Not sure if it can be shipped abroad.
In my days we'd use carpet layers cement for this which was latex based. I suspect this is still being used but quite frankly I have no idea where to get it from nowadays. Furthermore, if and when you'd find such cement it will invariably be offered in such large volumes big enough to serve an entire planet and then some.

After all the only function of a base tape is to protect the stitches....

Ciao, ;)

dwb

by dwb

Are you referring to this source?

http://www.twilltape.com/

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Indeed, that looks like the one I had in mind. Thanks for digging it up. :thumbup:

Ciao, ;)

dwb

by dwb

Out of curiosity, is 3/4" (19 mm) or 1" (25 mm) the correct choice? It seems like 7/8" (22 mm) would be the natural choice to cover rim width, but that is not offered.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Continental GP4000 would be my recommendation for tubulars with a good performance/weight/puncture-resistance balance. I've also had good experience with Continental Competitions.

I bring a can of Vittotia PittStop sealant and a used tire as spare. The sealant is hit or miss -- but will most likely fix small punctures. If it doesn't work, use the spare.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Have made this an announcement, as it's certainly going to be a common topic in 'Everything wheels'.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Can anyone offer advise on which tub can take the odd flint. I have killed my second gator skin tub now and both tyres died when they were brand new on there first ride out. Two ride two dead tubs. Rding in suffolk is like riding on road covered in knifes. So I would like to try something different. I was thinking Veloflex arenberg/roubaix or the Vittoria Pave. Which is more punture restistant. I am swayed to tanwall tubs as the bike is an 1980 Alan bt I do have a mid nineties pinerello coming in a few days and that will be on tubs too. Also which tubs fold up tight as I am doing a 100 mile event on this pinerello and I want to carry two spare tubs or do the veloflex fold tight?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Just going to offer my positive experience with NoTubes to fix a p
(probably) glass-inflicted puncture on a Sprinter. I had to leave it a number of times a few hours at a time with the hole on the floor leaning against the wall, as it started leaking after I moved it (3 times perhaps). I only put in less than 15ml, and pumped up to 100psi (I usually ride 90). Sweet as after that, and I'm only riding it once a week. I would've been happy to throw it out, but a little bit of experimentation/perseverance has resulted in an extra 1,000km or so.

There are other threads discussing light/small spares eg Tufo and Conti TT Podium. I find that Vitt CX folds easily.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mertdemirel

by Mertdemirel

no other source in the US other than http://www.twilltape.com/ ?
thanks