Recovery .... yup that old chestnut

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Hey guys n girls,
Hitting the big 41 now I am finding recovery draining ! So looking for some idea's that others are using and working please ...
I have been punching out about 350 km per week and a ride Sat of 112 km .... and today a very cruisy 65 km and I feel like Ihave just done a week in the hills :shock: :shock: :shock:
I take L-Glutamine multi vits and magnesium .... but I guess my body is needing either more or something I need to know about :wink:

Looking forward to feed back

thanks
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Clubagreenie wrote:but I guess my body is needing either more or something I need to know about

Rest? :idea:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

lol I get 7 days per fortnight rest when I am at work :wink:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

If you're feeling unusually tired for a prolonged period, be it from exercise or not, I'd recommend seeing a GP. Having a check up can turn up surprising things.

skiezo

by skiezo

At close to 50 I know what you are going through. Here are a few thing I do that seem to help.

1) lots of water w/ electrolytes.
2) Protein shakes directly after a long ride
3) Sauna at the gym followed by a few easy laps in the pool
4) Stretching a few hours after a ride
5) A good nights rest with a high protein meal a few hours before. High carbs before a long ride.
6) I try not to ride till I bonk. If go to far or lots of hills and bonk it takes a few days to recover fully.

These things seem to help me, everyone is different tho.

Skiezo

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Thanks for all your feed back !
Maybe I should clarify my pain from yesterdays ride lol

I am not tired or worn out , it is simply m muscle groups calves and thighs that are fatigued , I m looking into creatine monohydrate . I drop protien shakes and take another product called 32gi ... which by the way I recommend highly !!
However the length of time for recovery on my legs has doubled since say 35 years old to 41 ... So hearing from someone who is 50 made sense , so thank you :wink:

I guess in a perfect world where massage teams are on hand and sponsers pay for everything , my legs would be better off :mrgreen: did someone say massge team :twisted:
I guess the old saying "Youth is waisted on the young " is becoming truer each year

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Creatine's application here is not warranted. Recovery products are usually a waste of time unless you have specific deficiencies. Massage can be self applied and also the use of foam rollers etc may help.

If nothing obvious then follow wass' s advice and see a doc.

If you are not recovering you are not training. Don't do the work if you don't do the rest.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

Ok , just an upshot ... I took the advise went and had some blood work done ... seems I have 2 things going on .. an underlying infection in my chest and slightly low testosterone count .... So now on antibiotics and off for some more tests

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com