Anyone using DashWare?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Anyone here using DashWare in order to overlay GoPro/Contour/etc. footage with GPS data?

As I ordered a GoPro in order to use as a dashcam for security reasons (I recently got swiped of the road by a truck driver) and to "analize" rides and (overtaking) traffic I would like to know some things before spending $50 on the Dashware software as it looks as a nice addition to the footage.

- Does it work with edited/exported videos? or only with raw movies that you can edit later with the overlay?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yes i have it. u need a way to sync the video to the data.

ie. i have a contour hd+ which has gps built into the video. so it's 'easy(er)' to sync the garmin gps data to the contour data.

without having video with gps associated to it....syncing it to the garmin data, you kinda have to 'guess' where to overlay it.

also if the video is edited and chopped up (not continuous) then you will need to cut and segment the garmin data that goes along with it.

it's WAY easier to have the raw footage, sync all the gps data via overlay, then cut it and edit that as you please. It's hard to work backwards in this process. and again... get a camera that has GPS capabilities

heres' one of the videos i've made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy0KGZFbmes

AGW

by AGW

There's a rider on Youtube (DataDrivenAthlete, I think) whose videos are all overlayed like Nathanong's is. If you run into trouble, he seems to have done it a few hundred times and might be able to help.

AGW

by AGW

Nathanong87,

I found this while watching your video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0CH4aaWy4&t=15m29s

You can barely make it out, but your sprint was pretty harrowing! Narrow gap :lol:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

AGW wrote:Nathanong87,

I found this while watching your video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0CH4aaWy4&t=15m29s

You can barely make it out, but your sprint was pretty harrowing! Narrow gap :lol:

haha i know =\

that was probably the most scared i've been about possibly taking out like 2 other people. im pretty sure our arms swapped sunscreen on both sides. i had to stay seated for fear if i stood up and rocked side to side i'd hit em lol

side note, i wish i would have started the sprint earlier.... i had to fit through that small gap, and by the time i could deploy my sprint, it was like only 100 meters to go =(. Finished 3rd on the day.

i got cancellara'd by the 2nd place dude... i really didn't even know where the finish was...

dear OP, sorry for the OT response but i wanted to reminisce. The dashware forums are pretty good and information can be found on there which is helpful. Also steve weixel (youtube) and google him has alot of videos and he has responded to pretty specific questions on forums and stuff in the past if i can remember correctly.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

..don't worry love the OT!

Thanks for the replies! That's what I thought, first adding the overlay, than the edit. So it's in a way like syncing audo to a video but then with GPS data. This week I will get my GoPro and than I will run some tests once I am able to cycle again :-)

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

I found the solution thanks to the Garmin Virb software. It works with the raw GoPro MP4 footage and Garmin Edge 500 GPS data.
This is all I need, and it works super fast: thank's Garmin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWJFShjovck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com