Help identify this frame

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Privateer

by Privateer

I don't know what it is. Maybe an Alan or a Look? :noidea: I think they both used bolted seat stays. The seam on the back of the headtube might also help identify it. Does it have a fork? Where did you get it- Europe or the US?

(Posting the images for you, rather than just the URL. It might get more of a response that way.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Looks a bit like a TVT92 from the early 90s, could that be it?

N.T

by N.T

Miller wrote:Looks a bit like a TVT92 from the early 90s, could that be it?

headtube and brake cable routing are different
Fuelled by kofein

ticou

by ticou

It's a Vitus.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that it is not a TVT, nor an ALAN. As for it being a Vitus, the seat-lug is wrong and the head-tube seems all wrong too.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The blocky seatstay bridge reminds me of a look. Unusual, such an old frame with a carbon head tube lug.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Look closely. The carbon on the head tube isn't the same as everywhere else. If I were guessing, I'd say it didn't come stock with a carbon head tube. Plus, the rest of the frame is very clean. The head lug,, not so much.

twigstim

by twigstim

Very nice thread.

I'd say maybe an old look but I'm not good at these games so it isn't worth very much.

N.T

by N.T

the frame is Peugeot carbon pro from 1989
http://www.cyclespeugeot.com/images/1989_Peugeot_4.jpg

eric

by eric

Interesting. The earlier Peugeot carbon frames were rebranded Vitus Carbone 3s or 7s. Even Carbone 9s had aluminium head tubes.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Carbone 3 = carbon top, down, and seat tubes

Carbone 7= carbon top, down, and seat tubes and seat stays and chain stays

Carbone 9 - also carbon fork blades? If so, what year did that come out? The early carbon bikes did not have carbon fork blades. Was that with steel steerer (as with Vitus aluminum), as opposed to alu steerer as with Alans?

I saw a Peugeot (I think, or was it labeled Vitus?) carbon bike used by a local pro at a race in summer 1984 in San Jose, CA. That is the only carbon bike I saw prior to 1985. I don't remember whether it had carbon stays. Alan and TVT had generally available carbon frames (not forks) in 1985. I bought my Alan Record Carbonio, which has carbon fiber main tubes, stays and head tube (though not much of the head tube shows between the alu lugs on size 51 frame), alu fork/steerer, and alu lugs and BB shell, in summer 1985.

djconnel

by djconnel

How much does it weigh????

eric

by eric

I think the Carbone 7 and 9 were the same thing... but on both the seat stays were in two pieces, glued to a brake bridge. I think they made them for a while then someone finally counted nine tubes, not seven. :D

They all had the same aluminium fork.

I'd love to ride one now just to see what it's like riding a frame that flexy. I was still riding my 979 occasionally until a couple years ago. Supposedly the Carbones made the 979 seem stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com