Ciamillo Gravitas crank, review and poll

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What are the 2 most important things for you on a crank ?

-Design + stiffness
9%
-Design + weight
15%
-Design + price
5%
-Stiffness + weight
44%
-Stiffness + price
9%
-Weight + price
18%

Total votes: 159

djconnel

by djconnel

ms6073 wrote:So based on the images above, can we conclude that the tubes will be left exposed and there will not be an 'aero' fairing added to the final product?

I think it would be fairly easy to wrap them in shrink-wrap if you want, but that will add mass.
I personally think the aero advantage will be very small: the tubes can draft each other.

ms6073

by ms6073

Somewhat out of left field but it seems to me that with a hollow tube crank arm system like this, seems like a good candidate for using a small low wattage laser and measure deflection of the beam to determine stress variations. While I am in no way remotely knowledgeable as my only exposure to such technology has been piloting aircraft equipped with glass cockpits that employ ring-laser gyros to measure/display pitch, bank, and yaw data on primary flight displays, but seems like when properly calibrated, measurement of the deflection of a laser could be used as a means of provide extremely accurate power measurement?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

...I'll play with them shortly. On the http://carbonlord.com/VENGE_.jpg.

carbonLORD.com

revpower

by revpower

wow, looks nice, wonder when i got mine...
Hi ome rodriguez, how long you've been waiting for till you get the combo?

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Near 4 months.
Here are some pics and weight. Its 110 bcd and 172.5mm. Looks very unique and exotic!

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've been following this design for a while, and whilst I wont be able to afford it, I am surprised by the weight.

My BB30 SRAM Red Exogram cranks in 175mm arms (w/out chainrings) are 391g.

So, whilst this design looks cool, is probably stiffer (but there is no confirmation comparison), it's 7g lighter for shorter crankarms, and more than double the price.

So why would you invest in this aside from the look factor ?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

MichaelB,

You appear to not be counting the weight of the BB needed for the SRAM Red Exogram. The spindle is included in the weight of the Ciamillo.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hi Hammer,
Nope, that's comparing the same setup shown in the above pic at 384g.

Both arms, spindle and spider

revpower

by revpower

Hi MichaelB, are you sure about it?
Please send the picture about the weight of your sram red exogram.
If it is true, that means that sram red exogram crank is lighter than THM clavicula.
in my opinion it is imposibble.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Here are my cranks - 175mm, BB30 with std rings (compact)

We know the std rings are 150g for the outer and 33g (Others weights) for the inner. That makes it 346g w/out chainrings, but includes the 5 chainring bolts.

Plenty of pics of cranks on scales here, and weights are consistent.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730&hilit=praxis+exogram+bb30

All up (w/o BB30 bearings) and with Praxis works chainrings, my crank setup is 491g (391 for crank and 150 for rings).

Yep, it is hard to believe, but there you go !! :up:

kbzoo

by kbzoo

My Zipp Vuma Quad arms (172.5mm) and spindle weighs in at 388g. I bet some of Zipp's know-how went into the SRAM Red Exogram design as well so not really a surprise with the weight.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

And the added advantage of the exogram cranks is that proprietary chainrings are not requited

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The vumaquad manufacturing process was extremely labor intensive, the whole layup by hand. It took one person months of training before they were allowed to do the arms, I'm pretty sure they didn't have more than two people at a time laying them up. Two people could lay up either 7 arms or 7 cranksets in one day, I can't remember which, but either one is a mighty small number when compared to how many Red cranks are likely to be made each day...
...aaand, it looks like I went off topic again. Sorry.

runner999

by runner999

MichaelB wrote:Here are my cranks - 175mm, BB30 with std rings (compact)

We know the std rings are 150g for the outer and 33g (Others weights) for the inner. That makes it 346g w/out chainrings, but includes the 5 chainring bolts.

Plenty of pics of cranks on scales here, and weights are consistent.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103730&hilit=praxis+exogram+bb30

All up (w/o BB30 bearings) and with Praxis works chainrings, my crank setup is 491g (391 for crank and 150 for rings).

Yep, it is hard to believe, but there you go !! :up:

Based off the weight for 2 chainrings below posted by terzuya. It puts your crank in the ~362g range if I deduct ~10g for chainring bolts which is still a pretty damn light crankset!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com