GIRO EMPIRE - Review (mini)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmilliron

by jmilliron

On my Sidi and LG shoes, I usually tighten the ratchet up at least once about 15-30 minutes into the ride.

On my Giro Prolight shoes that just have velcro, I've never felt the need to tighten them mid ride.

It's a mystery.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattydubs

by mattydubs

With you on the prolights. I never screw with the Velcro but when I rode Sidi, Shimano, and Fizik I was always tinkering. If its the "tejin" upper on the prolights I suspect the Empires would need little adjustment as well.

I'm going to get some Empires when they release new color ways (rumor is May).

Fwiw I think the ec90 sole has the lowest production stack height next to Bont.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I have been a little concerned about the adjustment as well - but then I thought about my shoe experiences thus far: only on my current S-Works shoes do I find myself needing to adjust after getting into the ride. This wasn't an issue on my boa-equipped Lakes nor my velcro-clad Specialized shoes.

Tie once, cry once? :)

KWalker

by KWalker

Where is the info about releasing new colors?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Kinda a slight tangent from this discussion:

My experience with football boots (that's soccer for the US crowd) is that once they're on and tied properly, I never have to adjust them for an entire game - 90 minutes worth of interval sprinting on grass, lots more foot movement than a cycling shoe may ever see. But, on the other hand, like other people here I've found myself adjusting shoes both at the beginning of a ride and also later on in the day (especially if it was a long, tough day) to loosen them up a little bit. So some adjustability might be needed on the bike? :shrug:

But back to that tangent.

Giro empires -> shoe lacing, stiff shoes, light, and MSRP of $275 US (which isn't that bad, actually)

But, meanwhile there's this, which is very tempting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113006

Adidas F50's with lacing that isn't directly on the center of the metatarsal + mod/carbon -> shoe lacing, stiff sole, form-fitting comfort, custom, light, MSRP of way less...

Hmmmm...
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

KWalker wrote:Where is the info about releasing new colors?

That's just what I've heard from a Giro rep and a couple of friends.

mattydubs

by mattydubs

prendrefeu wrote:Kinda a slight tangent from this discussion:

My experience with football boots (that's soccer for the US crowd) is that once they're on and tied properly, I never have to adjust them for an entire game - 90 minutes worth of interval sprinting on grass, lots more foot movement than a cycling shoe may ever see. But, on the other hand, like other people here I've found myself adjusting shoes both at the beginning of a ride and also later on in the day (especially if it was a long, tough day) to loosen them up a little bit. So some adjustability might be needed on the bike? :shrug:

But back to that tangent.

Giro empires -> shoe lacing, stiff shoes, light, and MSRP of $275 US (which isn't that bad, actually)

But, meanwhile there's this, which is very tempting: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adidas F50's with lacing that isn't directly on the center of the metatarsal + mod/carbon -> shoe lacing, stiff sole, form-fitting comfort, custom, light, MSRP of way less...

Hmmmm...

What I was sort of mentioning earlier (the "Tejin" upper on the Prolights and the Empires) comes from football boots. I don't think it's a panacea, but they say that it should mold (stretch) to your foot after a few rides. YMMV, but my Prolights (after... I think 1400 miles, basically since Christmas) feel fantastic and I never adjust them. I suspect the Empires will be the same way.

That's what they said about Kangaroo leather too, though (Copa Mundials were always my boots of choice) and I had some Fizik R1s that never quite fit right (constantly adjusted them).

stanseven

by stanseven

kode54 wrote:
i may have to upgrade from my S-Works shoe.

You are either joking, trying to get a reaction, or don't know about shoes. The S-Works is a much higher end shoe. The Empire is nice but just uses lacing as an alternative to fasteners on a solid mid-level platform

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I agree they look cool but am struggling to see why lacing isnt a big step backwards. How do you loosen them off on the go?

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

I went from the s-works (and bont vaypors) to the giro and I wouldn't at all say it is in ANY way a step back.

sideways maybe...

Like I mentioned before, the teijin uppers are quite incredible - surprisingly both supple and supportive. It's funny how so much energy now is focused on the BOA closure system ...which basically acts like laces... so again, I wouldn't call laces a step back.

What the laces offer is the ability to take advantage of the particular upper on this shoe and snugly secure your foot in a way that would cause some serious hot spots with any other closure (after all, a lot of track shoes are still laced for a reason, no?).

What the laces DON'T offer is the ability to adjust during the ride. That is why I think they really aren't for everyone and wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them hitting ebay in a month or so.

That said, I prefer a super snug fit in my shoes and these really make my feet feel at home coming from a football background myself. I found myself only ever TIGHTENING the boas on the s-works during the ride. So much so that I realized they were likely slipping. That was confirmed when I picked up the bonts and found that once strapped in, no adjustments were ever needed during rides. The bonts really didn't work for my feet so I almost went back to the s-works. I decided to give these a shot as they were now available and I couldn't be happier. They feel better in every way to the s-works (for me at least).

Again, they won't be for everyone and if you need a shoe that you need to constantly be fidgeting with for whatever reason, these really aren't for you... but to say because they have a fairly simple design concept and are laced that they are a step backwards or inferior is just bollocks. In a lot of way, I really feel that what they have done with these uppers is quite forward... but again, that's just me... I wear long black socks...
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

btw, former short-lived gunner wearing world cups all the time!
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

um, laces in chains anyone?
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

lionking

by lionking

I absolutely love these, but will probably hold out to see if further colours are forthcoming.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

stanseven wrote:
kode54 wrote:
i may have to upgrade from my S-Works shoe.

You are either joking, trying to get a reaction, or don't know about shoes. The S-Works is a much higher end shoe. The Empire is nice but just uses lacing as an alternative to fasteners on a solid mid-level platform

Can we hear your first hand reviews of both shoes then?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

anyone have insight as to possible future colors?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike