BTP Shifter Clamps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SDP

by SDP

thought about these a few times ...then i change my mind

i had their bottlecages as well & i punted them on

really flimsy & voids in the carbon ..looked really DIY ..

1415chris

by 1415chris

The finish of the clamps could be better. They look DIY indeed.
I had to file one of these, it was too wide to fit into the mounting slot.
Not a big deal at all, but for this price it should hold the diameters at least.
On the other hand, it's an element which doesn't get sunlight, so why bother...
They hold the shifters firmly and save 20g of the original ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I've been using mine since 2007 or 2008. Say what you want, they work.
Speedplay is the devil!

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have three bikes with these clamps and no issues whatsoever. I have been using them for the past 4 years. I always inspect them when i change my handlebar tape and have never found any problems. I would not hessitate to use them on my next bike.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As it happens I am not even so sure mine were actually made by BTB.
Could it be MCFK (not sure) makes these as well as mine seem to be made entirely out of UD carbon and were finished quite nicely. Similar to a seatpost clamp actually.

Either way, I'm perfectly happy with mine and as someone quite rightly mentioned before, once in place you won't be looking at them anyhow. So, if they do the job they are intended to do, why bother with what they look like.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Recently acquired some BTP clamps from a forum member and seem to be having some fitment issues. I understand these are true weightweenie parts and have a handmade aspect to them, but the fitment is not even close (about 1/4" too big). I tried to use these with my 2012 Sram Red Ergo shifters, but they can't fit flush inside the the shifter like the stock clamps.

I'm very hesitant to modify them as they look very fragile as is. Has anyone successfully used these with the 2012 Sram Red Ergo shifters? Did you have to modify them in any way to make them fit? Do you recommend sanding them down to make them fit?

Thanks in advance.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Vuong05 wrote:Recently acquired some BTP clamps from a forum member and seem to be having some fitment issues. I understand these are true weightweenie parts and have a handmade aspect to them, but the fitment is not even close (about 1/4" too big). I tried to use these with my 2012 Sram Red Ergo shifters, but they can't fit flush inside the the shifter like the stock clamps.

I'm very hesitant to modify them as they look very fragile as is. Has anyone successfully used these with the 2012 Sram Red Ergo shifters? Did you have to modify them in any way to make them fit? Do you recommend sanding them down to make them fit?

Thanks in advance.

I thought I read somewhere that the design of the newer sram red shifters didn't work w/ the btp clamps, but I can't remember where.
Speedplay is the devil!

Vuong05

by Vuong05

mdeth1313 wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the design of the newer sram red shifters didn't work w/ the btp clamps, but I can't remember where.

I have a hunch that you are absolutely correct. I don't have the guts to modify the clamps due to safety reasons. Can anyone else confirm that the BTP carbon clamps do not work with the 2012 Sram Red Ergo shifters? Are there any alternative options out there to lighten the 2012 Ergo shifter? I've done a search here on WW, and it seems that all the tuning on Red shifters only pertain to the first generation (pre 2012).

Cheers.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Just wanted to add that while BTP is no longer producing anything these clamps are still being produced by someone. The standard ones are available through Tune and Schmolke offers a larger diameter one to fit the new full-over bar.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

madcow wrote:Just wanted to add that while BTP is no longer producing anything these clamps are still being produced by someone. The standard ones are available through Tune and Schmolke offers a larger diameter one to fit the new full-over bar.

Do you know if they make one to fit the 2012 Sram Red Ergo shifters? Haven't had any luck searching online to see if there is an answer for this.

Thanks.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I didn't want to start another one.

Does anyone know where I can purchase these carbon clamps? Fairwheels seems to be out of them, and I can't find them for sale anywhere else.

I'm also interested in the answer to Vuong05's questions. Do these work with the current SRAM Red shifters?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Grazie. Have you ordered from them before? Are they reliable?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Yes, I did. No problem whatsoever, speaks English too. 8)

Ciao, ;)

ipdamages

by ipdamages

I can confirm that they fit the old SRAM Red shifters and older generation Dura Ace (7800 and earlier) well. I rode them for years w those shifters. When I switched to new Red they did not fit. To make them fit I Dremeled out the shifters on top and bottom and created a new washer plate out of aluminum (also Dremeled). It took some doing, but they now work and fit well. No way I would trim the clamps as they are already tuned by BTP. I was a bit worried about Dremeling expensive and new shifters, but they have been fine for six months of riding 15-20 hours per week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com