New fork for TI frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I am looking to upgrade the fork on my Dean TI bike. At the present time in is sporting a Ritchey pro fork from 2006.
I am seeing some light stress cracks were the drop outs are glued into the fork body. I am not sure if they are just in the finnish or into the carbon. So to be safe I will be replacing the fork in the next few weeks. This one has the alloy drop outs glued into the fork body. I am looking for a one piece fork. (No glued in drop outs).
This bike has a long HT so I need a 43degree fork with a steer tube of about 220cm. It will have a 10cm spacer below the stem and a 10cm spacer above the stem. It will be going into a standard TI king HS. I would also like straight fork legs as opposed to curved.
I would like a few options for a replacement.
ENVE 2.0 is at the top of my list. Any other I should look at?
Thanks
Skiezo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Just putting in my vote for the Enve. I have one on my Ti bike and have been very pleased!

lannes

by lannes

I'd also have a look at the 3T Funda Team

http://www.3tcycling.com/forks/funda

Dimitri

by Dimitri

ive owned the 3t fork. they dont look as nice in person. its actually an "aero" for and looks a bit funny (to me) from some angles. also the headset compression system is a little bit annoying. there is an alloy sleeve that you need to glue in. actually not a bad idea but you do need to let the epoxy dry over night before riding.

enve 1.0 would be my first choice.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I've just gone enve1.0 on my litespeed archon Ti. fantastic upgrade.

kode54

by kode54

i had an Enve 2.0 on my Litespeed. one of the better upgrades on that frame. prior to...had a Reynolds Pro Ouzo with alloy steerer. the Enve felt like it dampened more road vibration.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

skiezo

by skiezo

Juanmoretime wrote:I love my Alpha Q GS 30 on my Lynskey R320. I know they are not made anymore and that is why I have a new one stashed.

Are the forks your considering the same dropout to crown length?

That is a great question?????
On my spec sheet from the build in 05 it lists the dropout to crown length as 372mm and 43degree rake.
All the forks I have found are 368mm in 43degree rake.
I can not find any spec on the alpha Q forks.

I did find this tho and I will be looking at it in more detail before I drop the $$$$$$
http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So will 4mm shorter make that much of a difference in the ride or handling?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

4mm shorter axle to crown will correspond to an effective ~0.25 degree increase in head-angle. Whether that's something that you'll notice or care about only you can really answer. But unless you think the steering on your bike is already really fast, I'd say that you'll be fine with the change.

Rush

by Rush

Think about what sorts of rims and tires you want to use.

It was recommended to me that if I want to run 25c tires, go the Enve over the 3T. My Enve 2.0 fork will just fit Michelin Pro Optimum 25c on Hed Belgium 23 mm rims. I think the Michelin 25c tires are on the larger side, compared to a Continental for example.

I doubt you'd get enough clearance on a 3T fork to run that.

skiezo

by skiezo

I found a NOS EDGE branded fork from an online retailer. It has a crown to dropout length of 371mm and a 43degree rake. So it is about as close as I can find spec wise to my existing fork. I run a 25 on the rear and a 23 on the front so clearance will not be a problem. I ordered it today so it should be here the middle of next week.
I have a EVNE 1.0 fork on my steel bike that I had built so I now of the quality of there products.

Thanks
Skiezo

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

After 2 other carbon forks, I put an Enve 1.0 on my Merlin CR Works. I absolutely love it.

twigstim

by twigstim

I've only ever had the chance to ride the funda, but I've always been green for the enve.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Pegoretti Falz.

jedijeck

by jedijeck

Enve has my vote.
Dedacciai Scuro RS - For Sale (frame & fork)
Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune Columbus TSX
Merlin Extralight
Santa Cruz Tazmon

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Enve 2.0. Firmly disagree with the Lynskey owner touting Alpha Q - I have a Lynskey R430 came with Alpha Q GS-40. Had a JRA fork failure where is snapped off at the bottom of the glued insert. Stupid design accounting for why they're out of business. Paper thin carbon with glued in (also thin) insert limiting height adjustability and making assembly/installation complex. Didn't track as well as the Enve either, especially descending at speed. At this point in time, the Enve 2.0 is industry standard. If you're a high-end weight weenie (and you're probably not, if, like me, you're riding ti), the Enve 1.0 saves a few grams but again has a thin steerer which some (no personal experience) feel is a little flexy. Enve 1.0 better if you're trying to drop every gram off a 13 lb. bike or you're a tiny climber, 2.0 better for most others. The Pegoretti Falz also seems like a good suggestion, but somewhat heavier and a little harder to source. YMMV.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com