Campagnolo super record 11 vs DA9000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

michel2

by michel2

the german tour magazine (the englisch online version avab. at itunes) has just published a test or review on all groupsets to find out about differences, it also has all the weights, comparing same cranck lenghts and casette ratios
i ride campy sr, am very happy with it i do think the new 9000 group looks really good, would like to take it for a ride, but can foresee me ending up with campy again (-:

angrylegs

by angrylegs

It's personal preference, so test ride both. I was a long-time Shimano rider until I test rode Campy and switched. Never looked back. However, I am sure that has also gone the other way for some people as well, which only illustrates the point more clearly - go test ride both and decide for yourself before investing a lot of money in one direction or the other.

Also:

:popcorn:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The new 9000 stuff looks really nice. Not a fan of having to get new wheels though (have some sets that can't be converted to 11).

I've been on Campy for YEARS... with a small dabble into Sram. Love Campy stuff and my wife still rides Campy on her road and CX bikes (yes, campy 11 for cx and it works perfectly).

Last year I switched my road bike over to Ultegra Di2 (with DA brakes and crank), with the anticipation of running in on my CX race bikes in the fall (I wanted some time on it before the CX season). All I can can is WOW. As much as I love Campy... the Di2 stuff is so much better it blew my mind. It really became evident in the CX season when I didn't have to adjust a der, replace a cable, etc all season long. Also, shifting didn't degrade over the course of a race due to muck buildup.

I would at least think about getting the Ultegra Di2 shifting parts, combined with the 9000 crank and brakes. Going witht he new internal battery will make it a nice clean setup :)

That said, I have a friend on 9000 mech and it shits VERY well. The hood shape is also more refined, along the lines of the Di2 parts.

policedutchdog

by policedutchdog

Both are nice drivetrains and look great. I gave the Campy Record 11 a try but that ridiculous thumb shifter was a deal breaker. I didn't want to constantly have to think about shifting the bike and with Campy I did. Everyone said that I would get use to it but I never did. I have the new Shimano 11 and works the best by far. Super smooth, fast shifting and built to last. Di2 upgrade kit is on the way so life will be getting even better.

Scott

ticou

by ticou

I'm afraid to say Campy has the reputation of being built to last, and how can you say with something less than a year old that it's built to last? It's getting to the point where i'd prefer to talk about that neo pro Lance Armstrong. You either buy into the Italian genius with innovation, design, and beauty with soul, something that they have had since 1380, or you prefer the stamped metal mass production method.

And that's all folks!

ave

by ave

>I'd *love* to see a forum-wide moratorium on the following discussions:
Why? I mean why do you care if there is such a topic? Just ignore topics that do not interest you.

kode54

by kode54

i haven't tried out the new DA9000. that said, with two bikes, you can have Campy SR11 on one and DA9000 on the other. seriously, i have been on Shimano for quite some time and made the jump to Campy SR11 just last year. i love the crisp and precise shifting of SR11 and the trimming of the FD. much better than DA7900. i was thinking about swapping out the DA7900 with the newer DA9000.

what i do like about Dura Ace is the levers which are angled out. i haven't figured out if Campy can angle out the shifters...making it more comfortable for braking and gear shifting.

riding SR11 feels like a Lambo with paddle shifters. precise, smooth and fast. also love the way the parts are made. very solid.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

policedutchdog wrote:Both are nice drivetrains and look great. I gave the Campy Record 11 a try but that ridiculous thumb shifter was a deal breaker. I didn't want to constantly have to think about shifting the bike and with Campy I did. Everyone said that I would get use to it but I never did. I have the new Shimano 11 and works the best by far. Super smooth, fast shifting and built to last. Di2 upgrade kit is on the way so life will be getting even better.

Scott

yeah...the thumb shifters. going back and forth between DA and SR was difficult...although i ride the hoods quite a bit and started to adjust to the thumb shifters. but switching back and forth tends to screw up my shifting abilities.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

markyboy

by markyboy

Campagnolo super record the best out there imo.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have many bikes with all the groupsets. I like Dura Ace 9000 the best. The cables, levers and derailors just seem to work the best. I have to say I like the Campy SR11 a close second. The only thing I do not like about Campy is parts availability in the U.S. I recently broke the bolt which holds the two halves of my Ti SR cranks together and had to oder it from Italy. It took my local bike shop twenty days to get. All the usual ebay suppliers were out! You can find Shimano anywhere in the US!
Last edited by mnmasotto on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

policedutchdog wrote:Both are nice drivetrains and look great. I gave the Campy Record 11 a try but that ridiculous thumb shifter was a deal breaker. I didn't want to constantly have to think about shifting the bike and with Campy I did. Everyone said that I would get use to it but I never did.

That' what this thread needs, daft comments like the above. Couldn't you just say Ergos didn't work for you? Do a search and you'll find they work fine for a lot of riders.

Campag Ergos do need careful setting up on the handlebars to enable comfortable shifting from the hoods and the drops.
Some bars work better than others.

airwise

by airwise

One thing I've noticed. I ride in hot places and sweat a lot. The sweat it corrosive. Both DA7800 and 7900 have suffered cosmetically with the finish blistering and marking up. Super Record remains the same as the day it was fitted. A small point for some but for me, worth changing all bikes to Campag 11 speed.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

angrylegs wrote:It's personal preference

Which is really what all these threads come down to. At the top of the tree, it's hard to go wrong with either brand. In fact, I'll say impossible.

Deal breakers would be if you have a pile of Campag wheels, a preference for thumb shifters or really like the new feature 9000 has of no increase in friction as you go up the cassette.

I'm a Campag man for all my personal bikes. But will be racing on Shimano 11 this season and won't lie, it's good enough to have me excited on my bike arriving. Not so much on needing to buy new wheels. But hey, that's what comes with racing.

ticou

by ticou

The DA C/set has some allure........did I really just say that? Have I crossed the Rubicon?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes (although it is pretty a bit like the XTR M98x cranksets).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com