"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I mean, come on, the kid was riding a Trek last year and still managed to go fast. He's upgraded in the MAMIL world to a Pina now!

DartanianX

by DartanianX

No way does Wiggins ride a 56! I'm sure I've read heaps of places he's on a 60.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

"A saddle height of 82cm and a reach from saddle tip to bars of 63cm is accommodated with a 60cm Pinarello frame and 140mm stem."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/ ... ies_230060

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

DartanianX, the article is claiming the bike featured is a 60 (59.5 according to Pinarello geometry). There is no way the bike featured has a 21.5 headtube. Rough scaling gives 16.7. Nearest size is a 56, 57.5 C-T, 16.5 HT.

plpete

by plpete

KWalker wrote:
russianbear wrote:How tall is he and what size frame is he riding? Maybe it's the angle but looks like he's dwarfing that frame... more so than usual as far as pros go.

6 feet 2, rides a 60

I doubt Joe gives two shits about the internets and what they think of his bike. He started road racing for fun 3 years ago and now he is on the best team of the world, living in Europe, and he gets to race the Giro.

I've ridden with him and he looks completely normal on that bike relatively speaking since he's ridiculously slender and very tall.

KWalker, you do realize this is the internet and none of us are actually dead serious about picking apart his bike right? :roll: If he sees this he will probably get a good laugh at it. I met him too and he's a down to earth guy like that. You take all this way too seriously...

According to Joe's Sky profile he is 1 meter and 85cm tall which translates to 6.07feet so just under 6 feet 1.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've never been a big Schleck fan... this article reinforces it. Whatever physical talent he may possess seems to be overwhelmed by his psychological frailty. And without big brother shpeherding him along, he seems completely incapable of accomplishing anything. Maybe their dad was right and they should both walk away from cycling...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck ... p-camaiore

KWalker

by KWalker

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:
KWalker wrote:
russianbear wrote:How tall is he and what size frame is he riding? Maybe it's the angle but looks like he's dwarfing that frame... more so than usual as far as pros go.

6 feet 2, rides a 60

I doubt Joe gives two shits about the internets and what they think of his bike. He started road racing for fun 3 years ago and now he is on the best team of the world, living in Europe, and he gets to race the Giro.

I've ridden with him and he looks completely normal on that bike relatively speaking since he's ridiculously slender and very tall.

Are you sure? Wiggins is that height and rides a 56, it looks like a 58 to me, the 60 is massive.

Wiggins is also on a 60

I am sure because I was there at the tail end of his bike fit and asked him what size that is. I forget where I saw Wiggins' frame size, but it was in one of those pro bike features.

The Pinarello size 60 (59.5 according to the chart) isn't that massive with a 58 top tube and 180 headtube- that's actually pretty standard.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

KWalker

by KWalker

plpete wrote:
KWalker wrote:

6 feet 2, rides a 60

KWalker, you do realize this is the internet and none of us are actually dead serious about picking apart his bike right? :roll: If he sees this he will probably get a good laugh at it. I met him too and he's a down to earth guy like that. You take all this way too seriously...

According to Joe's Sky profile he is 1 meter and 85cm tall which translates to 6.07feet so just under 6 feet 1.

Of course.

I'm comparing his height to mine and I guess I'm 6 2 on the dot and we see eye-to-eye. Either way if you look at him from the wrong direction and the right background he could easily blend in with a stop sign pole. Perfect genes for going up a mountain really, really fast.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Mini, French, Sagan strikes again....I think we're going to have to start getting used to this....in a good way

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

pro cyclists have some pretty bad tattoos

pastronef

by pastronef

it look like Rabo-Blanco still were unsure of their helmet sponsor during the team presentation last year in the Canary Islands

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ons/249033

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

KWalker wrote:
Wiggins is also on a 60

I am sure because I was there at the tail end of his bike fit and asked him what size that is. I forget where I saw Wiggins' frame size, but it was in one of those pro bike features.

The Pinarello size 60 (59.5 according to the chart) isn't that massive with a 58 top tube and 180 headtube- that's actually pretty standard.

KWalker, I think you're getting the Pinarello sizing mixed up. The 60 is 59.5 C-C ST, 61 C-T, 21.5 HT.

As I've mentioned by rough scaling the Velonews Dogma is close to a 56 which doesn't seem unreasonable judging by the amount of seatpost and drop to the handlebars.

KWalker

by KWalker

5 8 5 wrote:
KWalker wrote:
Wiggins is also on a 60

KWalker, I think you're getting the Pinarello sizing mixed up. The 60 is 59.5 C-C ST, 61 C-T, 21.5 HT.

As I've mentioned by rough scaling the Velonews Dogma is close to a 56 which doesn't seem unreasonable judging by the amount of seatpost and drop to the handlebars.

My bad, its the bike that has a 59.5 top tube. As I said I saw the tail end of his bike fit and that is what he stated and Retul had measured. I don't know what scaling you're talking about, but Wiggins is on the same size frame and judging from pictures they look identical. Anyways, take what you will from that.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

plpete

by plpete

Quite possible it's a 56 or so. It's also not unusual for pros to run a smaller frame size with a longer stem and more drop in order to achieve the more aero position. Their conditioning also makes them quite flexible so being that stretched out is comfortable for them.

KWalker

by KWalker

I give up. I asked Joe what his frame size was and it was on the Retul screen and know its the one with the 59.5 top tube. Wiggins rides the same size albeit with a more aggressive position. If his seat height is correctly listed as is his reach, my stack and reach template would put him on the size that Velonews states unless I'm entering something wrong. Both of them have very tall seat heights, which makes the frames look smaller than they really are. Also, the Pinarello headtube looks shorter than it is because of the weird integrated aero fork crown.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com