New aero crankset for my Speedmax Evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Juggler

by Juggler

While I sit here and wait - since october - for my new Canyon CF Speedmax Evo, I have started preparing some of the things I am going to change on it.

The Shimano Ultegra crankset is first thing up - need to replace that with something lighter, and more bling.

For the project, I have bought a Sram Red 2011 GXP crankset (BCD 130) with Sram (53T) og Shimano (42T) chainrings.

After some sanding I have added this stuff:

- Black Sram Powerglide 39T chainring
- Black TI chainring bolts

The scale is out of batteries, so an updated weight will have to wait.

And then I just need my new Fibre-Lyte "total aero" 54T chainring - it should fit like a glove. Similar style as the one Tillquist used with his old Dura Ace 7800 crankset.

2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

Juggler

by Juggler

Exactly... :)

Where you satisfied with it? And will you confirm, that your chainring is 2 x 2 weave...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juggler

by Juggler

One last thing... what is (was?) the weight on that 54T aero ring of yours?

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I had one too just like Juanmoretime fitted to an FSA SLk crankset. Mine was 48T and it was absolutely perfect. Can't recommend Fibre-lyte enough! I just ran a single at the front so I had the larger tooth profile. It worked a treat and I never had a chain off and I didn't even run a derailleur or chain guide at the front.

Juggler

by Juggler

Thanks for the info, both of you...

Awesome looking Isaac... :)

Juggler

by Juggler

The total aero chainring from Fibre-Lyte arrived today - thanks, Stephen... it looks (and feels) awesome.

The final result: 659 grams of aero crankset with 54/39 tooth chainrings and TI-bolts.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Looks very cool :-)
See all my bike h e r e

Juggler

by Juggler

Thanks, Morten... :)

doomith

by doomith

Looks awesome!!

tomtom

by tomtom

Looks very, very good! But will the Speedmax Evo cranks not be good enough? I want that bike as well but it won't be sold as a separate frame :-(! I have bought the same cranks for my "old" Speedmax to combine them with the Sram Stage Power crank. Sanding them looks a very good option but as for the blade I prefer the Rotor aero's :D !
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Juggler

by Juggler

Wow... you have got a nice collection of Canyon's... :thumbup:

I have bought the entry-level model - Di2 Ultegra will do the job just fine for me. Going to upgrade the wheels, and - as you can see - the crankset. I find the Ultegra crankset heavy - and a bit too ordinary to look at. And on top of that, it is not particularly aero.

tomtom

by tomtom

Thx :mrgreen: ! Like you I'm a big Canyon fan and as we speak my CF and the Speedmax is drilled for internal Di2 and brake cables. The Speedmax Evo is stunning and the Ultegra cranks are indeed not very aero :? . Bizarre that Canyon has still no delivery dates on the Speedmax Evo....hopefully it will come soon!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tomtom

by tomtom

Thx :mrgreen: ! Like you I'm a big Canyon fan and as we speak my CF and the Speedmax is drilled for internal Di2 and brake cables. The Speedmax Evo is stunning and the Ultegra cranks are indeed not very aero :? . Bizarre that Canyon has still no delivery dates on the Speedmax Evo....hopefully it will come soon!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Juggler

by Juggler

tomtom wrote:...as we speak my CF and the Speedmax is drilled for internal Di2 and brake cables

That was about to be my next question... how do you fit internal Di2 on the Speedmax? :) Drilling sounds cool... doing that, means you are all in. I like that.

My prior triathlon bike was the previous Speedmax. Great bike - I only sold it because I was preparing my self for the next generation. I had it repainted in matte black, which made it quite unique.

Would love to see photos of your entire "stable" og bikes. Since you are new here, I expect to see them all in the SMYR (show me your ride) thread :)

Regarding delivery on the Speedmax Evo, I have recently been in contact with the danish country manager. They are about to get the production line up and running - and I suppose I will get a delivery date very shortly. Unfortunately that could be as late as ultimo May, or even medio June. And that really collides with some of my plans for 2013. Until further I have borrowed an Orbea Ordu of a good friend, so I at least have something to train on.

tomtom

by tomtom

It looks fabulous this way! Where did you do this and how much did it set you back :-)?
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com