Newer frame for longer rides

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

Bianchi infinito. highly underrated bike.

I ride one (its my race bike) , and despite having a 'relaxed' gemoetry, it's a very fast bike and able to handle any spirited rides you may have. looks gorgeous, too. it's plenty comfortable for longer rides but is not a 'sit up and enjoy the scenery' sort of bike. still can be ridden hard and fast if you want to.
heck, it's been ridden to a 4th place in a giro sprint stage in 2009. how many 'sportif' bikes can have that on their palmares.

michel2

by michel2

I would go for the dean, nothing beads timeless titanium or steel from a good builder, perhaps slightly longer chain stays room for 28 mm tyres and like you said taller headtube, a 27.2 ti seatpost and you have deeelux ride (;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skiezo

by skiezo

As I love my 2005 Dean that I had custom built I have been in contact with them for a while about getting another one built.
The one I have now is an el vado with the butted TT from the el deinte. It has a 4mm slope in the TT and a longer HT but
is not extended much above the TT. Straight seat stays and over sized chain stays. Frame weight is 1450 grams.

What I have in mind is one of there el deinte models with 145mm HT that is 3.5mm above the center line of the TT and 1 degree slacker HT. Wider rear for 30mm rear tire and a 195cm or so WB. A TT angle of 6 degrees. A BB drop of 75.
According to them they could build this with a weight of about 1250 grams or so for the frame.
I am still not sure but this is the direction I am leaning towards.

RyanH

by RyanH

The Cervelo RS might be a good place to look too.

PSM

by PSM

Scott for longer rides? C' mon. They're famous for being harsh....

I'd say Colnago.

michel2

by michel2

Which colnago ? I cant say my e.p. is extremly comphy ?

skiezo

by skiezo

Since it has been 11 years since I have had a proper fitting I made an appointment with Spectrum Bicycles in PA to get a proper fitting. I will take one of my bikes with me and according to him should be there for about 3 hours of so. According to many he is the Man for great bike fittings in the north eastern part of the USA.
I know over the last 11 years my body mechanics have changed somewhat and if I am going to spend $ I want to make sure it is well spent.

Thanks for all the replays. I will let you know what my final decision will be.

Skiezo

gilesharrison

by gilesharrison

What about a Look, something like a 585 Origin. Very comfortable but still fairly sprightly. The aesthetics are appropriate for a DA 7800 groupset as well. You can probably pick a used one up fairly cheaply.

skiezo

by skiezo

I did a ride on my friends 2008 Bianchi 928 C2C today. I really like the way that bike feels. The extended HT is just what I am looking for. It was one size to large but but a quick stem swap put me close to were I would like to be. I did 20 miles and was comfy the whole time.
I know that they do not make this frame any longer. They do make the Sempre pro and the Infinito tho.
I will go to my LBS and see what they have. I would also like to ride the Cannondale Synapse and see how they compare in fit.
I also will be testing a Trek Domane. I am not sure if the HT will be high enough with out 20cm of spacers for this old body tho. They do not say any of that in the geo charts.
I am sure I will find what I am looking for soon.

Thanks Skiezo

skiezo

by skiezo

While at my LBS to get a few things they had a 2013 Infinito c2c there. I got my riding gear out of the car and went for a ride after some changes to fit me properly. I was thinking it would be like the 928 c2c that I rode earlier.
Well, to me anyhow it is not even the same bike. The Infinito is a lot harsher riding and the steering is very quick.
It is stiffer in the rear triangle and to me just not something I would want to ride on all day long.
The geo. is a bit more race oriented? or something. I can not put my finger on it but the 928 c2c is a much nier ride for me.

Skiezo

Zachariah

by Zachariah

Try 2007-2008 Cannondale System Six. Great geometry, super-stiff carbon front end - compliant and creamy alu rear end. Combined with Hollowgram BB30 cranx...the bike feels lively and accelerates like a pocket rocket. Synapse also good for longer rides...but feels like wasted energy after mile 80.
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

Spec Roubaix is designed for this very purpose.

lwrncc

by lwrncc

Second the Trek Domane. Test rode a 5 series domane back to back with the specialized roubaix sl4(not cobl goblr seat post). Thing is like a cloud for your butt and stiff everywhere else. I was hitting potholes and inch high curbs to test the iso speed, it really works well. I can see how it will improve long ride comfort. The specialized or vlcs cobl goblr 2.0 sestpost may do the same for other bikes but I haven't tried them yet.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/

skiezo

by skiezo

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I did do test rides on some of the bikes that were named in this thread.
Some were good and some I did not care for.
I did end up purchasing a like new 2007 Bianchi 928 lugged carbon full dura ace bike W/ custom built wheels.
We just need to get together so we can do the transaction, should be this week as he is out of town for a week.
The thread can be found at the following link. Once I get the bike I will post some pics of the machine. I put the topic in wrong place.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all the help
Skiezo

seve88

by seve88

I read a review of sportive style bikes in a magazine. For comfort the Cube GTC scored very high. The Synapse was not as responsice as Ginat's bike with a taller headtube.

I would advise trying some of the new wider rims (Hed Ardennes, Velocity A23 or Hplus Archytype). I find they really improve comfort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com