All Around Clinchers- DA, Stans, or something else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

btompkins0112 wrote:You could check out Flo Cycling's new alloy wheels....should be pretty aero (but heavy)

I think this is also a great idea if weight isn't an issue. Too bad they aren't for sale yet. These guys are getting ready to do a pre-order on their deeper wheels today.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2012/10/flo-cycling-flo-30-previously-flo.html
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

My SL23s arrived this week. Built by Ergott using WI hubs and Sapim spokes.

Hopefully the snow will let up and I can ride them soon.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

KLabs

by KLabs

carlislegeorge wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:You could check out Flo Cycling's new alloy wheels....should be pretty aero (but heavy)

I think this is also a great idea if weight isn't an issue. Too bad they aren't for sale yet. These guys are getting ready to do a pre-order on their deeper wheels today.

Hi carlislegeorge, the FLO Cycling - FLO 30 rim, clincher and tubeless ready, looks interesting. I think its a 20mm wide rim, isn't ...

Let us know the results when you try one :)

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

KLabs wrote:
carlislegeorge wrote:

Hi carlislegeorge, the FLO Cycling - FLO 30 rim, clincher and tubeless ready, looks interesting. I think its a 20mm wide rim, isn't ...

Let us know the results when you try one :)

All the Flo rims are really wide and angled brake track like the Zipp 101 and new Hed. "The FLO 30's brake track starts at 24.00 mm and reaches 25.82 mm at the bottom. The max width of the wheel is 25.96 mm with an overall depth of 30 mm."

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi NWSAlpine ... thanks :)

headwind816

by headwind816

MileHighMark wrote:My SL23s arrived this week. Built by Ergott using WI hubs and Sapim spokes.

Hopefully the snow will let up and I can ride them soon.

Maybe I missed it somewhere (I apologize if so), but what are the specs and weights please?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

What about the flex of the C24 ? I had some and they would rub on the brakes or the magnet on the spoke would hit my sensor. Outside of that, very smooth and easy to spin up.

plpete

by plpete

wheelzqc wrote:What about the flex of the C24 ? I had some and they would rub on the brakes or the magnet on the spoke would hit my sensor. Outside of that, very smooth and easy to spin up.

How much do you weigh? I'm hoovering between 164 and and 167 and never had any flexing issues.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

150. I did have every spoke check at that time to make sure. It is curious as it seems that often I read it's a stiff wheel, which I won't argue. I also did read from the person making the test at Roues Artisanales that it was a "flexy" wheel : "Unfortunately the Shimano C24 wheels are really flexy contrary to common thoughts." To note that I'm talking about the 7850 model.

motorthings

by motorthings

funny...i am 150 and never had that issue with my 7850's (non-tubeless), even though i tend to keep my pads pretty close to the rim.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

headwind816 wrote:[
Maybe I missed it somewhere (I apologize if so), but what are the specs and weights please?

24mm wide and 26mm deep. Claimed weight is 450 grams.

KWalker

by KWalker

Any thoughts on the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR tubeless? My worry with them is flex, but they have DT Swiss 240 hub internals, decent spoke pattern, wide rims, and a light weight. My sponsor is also a Trek/Bontrager dealer so the price on them is a few hundred below the DA wheels.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I've put over 3000 miles on DA 7900-C24 tubeless and never flexed them in the way described above. And I'm not a lightweight guy either, 180+ pounds. So YMMV.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I'd consider the Fulcrum Racing Zeros as well. Very nice looking and riding.

If 1550 g are still acceptable, the Racing 3s would probably close to the best bang for the buck and almost indestructable.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

KWalker wrote:Any thoughts on the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR tubeless? My worry with them is flex, but they have DT Swiss 240 hub internals, decent spoke pattern, wide rims, and a light weight. My sponsor is also a Trek/Bontrager dealer so the price on them is a few hundred below the DA wheels.

They sure look nice. I was looking at them the other day in the shop just killing some time. I would imagine they ride well as Bontrager wheels of late have been really nice. I'm mostly interested in the R3 25c tubeless tire. Waiting for my Fusion3s to wear out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com