Helmet weights, Europe vs. U.S. - Bell Gage Medium

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

I read somewhere that the same helmet model sold in the U.S. and in Europe can vary in weight due to differences between the European and the (stricter) U.S. safety regulations.

So I'd be curious to know if anyone has a U.S. Bell Gage in medium, how much it weighs. My new one, bought in the U.K. (BMC team colour) is 220g on the dot. This article has a measurement of 235g for another one (presumably also bought in Europe but maybe not?)

neeb

by neeb

Actually I can now answer my own question, as I bought a second Bell Gage from the U.S. (I'm living abroad but keep a 2nd helmet at "home" in the U.K.).

My European market Bell Gage in Medium (certified to EN 1078) weighs 221g and the size label on the inside says "221g". My U.S. Gage in the same size (certified to U.S. CPSC) weighs 240g and the size label says "244g".

So it looks like Bell market a 20g lighter helmet in Europe because of the less strict EU safety standard, and that the claimed weights on the labels are pretty accurate. The dimensions are exactly the same, so maybe they use a slightly less dense foam in the Euro model?

So if you prioritise protection buy your helmet from the U.S., and if you prioritise weight go for a European one.

This all fits with an article I read in the U.K. magazine "Cyclist" that claimed that indeed, the major helmet manufacturers market different helmets in Europe and the U.S. to meet the different safety standards. Quite an eye opener!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

I'd be interested in seeing the weight of one from Australia as well as the helmet testing standards here are even tougher than the US ones.
From all I understand Snell or ANSI have different tests and they can use a brand new helmet for each test. In Australia, one helmet must be used for the full gamut of testing to obtain approval and then a sample helmet from each batch imported must be takern and the test repeated to authorise that particular batch in Australia.
It's a big reason why so many helmets never make it to Australia for retail sale.
Very frustrating to all of us wanting the latest and greatest helmet designs.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I bought a Giro Aeon on ebay as they weren't able to be sold in Australia. 220grams for a medium. Almost 100g lighter than my ionos.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;