New bike choices

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rich00

by rich00

Hi all,
Need help on deciding on my next bike/frame, budget is limited.

I'm 82 kg (180 Lbs) and currently ride a cervelo soloist with campag centuar and kinlin 270 24/28 it's about 5 years old now. I use this to race crits in the summer. During the winter months I mainly do longer rides, no racing on a soma smoothie with sram apex which is also my commuter.

I'm looking for an all rounder that is reasonably stiff and strong. I'm not concerned about it being a super light but don't want a boat anchor.

Here are my choices so far.

Caad 10- Ultegra ( no sram version available in Australia )
Ridely Fenix - 105 ( Strip the 105 and replace with sram force)
Cervelo S2 -105 ( Strip the 105 and replace with sram force)
Ribble R872 or Chinese open mould frame with sram force.

Thanks for your feedback.
Rich

angrylegs

by angrylegs

I have no experience with the others, so my advice may not be too terribly much help to you. Still, I can say I have a size 58 S2 built up with 2003 Record 10, Rotor 3D crank, Quarq power meter, TT Q-rings, heavy Centaur cassette, hand-built alu clincher wheels, Garmin 500, iLink cables, no gruppo tuning and it comes in at 15.9 pounds (7.2 kg) real ride weight (computer, cages etc - but a simple pack of tools goes in a sticky pod in my jersey pocket - so no saddle bag is on on the bike). Not a light weight, but definitely not a boat anchor and I could easily tune it lighter as its a pretty stock build (looking at another project and wishing to tune that bike, so this one is as-is pretty much). I race it with tubulars but don't have that weight handy atm. Stiff and a nice ride to boot. It would be familiar to you too coming from a Soloist. It also has a fantastic warranty (provided you get it new) and a good crash replacement policy. I love it, but ymmv, and like I say, haven't ridden the others.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rich00

by rich00

angrylegs wrote:I have no experience with the others, so my advice may not be too terribly much help to you. Still, I can say I have a size 58 S2 built up with 2003 Record 10, Rotor 3D crank, Quarq power meter, TT Q-rings, heavy Centaur cassette, hand-built alu clincher wheels, Garmin 500, iLink cables, no gruppo tuning and it comes in at 15.9 pounds (7.2 kg) real ride weight (computer, cages etc - but a simple pack of tools goes in a sticky pod in my jersey pocket - so no saddle bag is on on the bike). Not a light weight, but definitely not a boat anchor and I could easily tune it lighter as its a pretty stock build (looking at another project and wishing to tune that bike, so this one is as-is pretty much). I race it with tubulars but don't have that weight handy atm. Stiff and a nice ride to boot. It would be familiar to you too coming from a Soloist. It also has a fantastic warranty (provided you get it new) and a good crash replacement policy. I love it, but ymmv, and like I say, haven't ridden the others.

Yes, life time warranty definitely worth considering.

nickl

by nickl

How much are you looking to spend?

If you are open to the Chinese open mould frames then some of the Azzurri bikes (from CyclingExpress) are interesting. You seem a SRAM fan - they do a SRAM Red version for a very good price (currently $2400).

I almost bought a Fenix with Di2 - looked to be a very nice bike.

Otherwise.. Giant?

pmr

by pmr

Have you ridden any of them yet, they'll each feel slightly different so it's worth getting on them first if you can.

Naturally test riding the Ribble/Chinese import won't be possible, but the Ridley, S2 and CAAD you should be fine to try out

Quinn039

by Quinn039

I built a Ridley Damocles RS up with Ultegra this summer and have absolutely loved it. Both stiff and smooth, looks great, decent weight to cost ratio. The Fenix is just supposed to be an improved version of that... I would strongly consider it.

rich00

by rich00

My budget would be around $3 to $3.5k depends on the finance minister ( wife )
Ideally I would like to get the frame separately and build it up with sram.
I will head out to couple of LBS and do a few test rides and see how things turn out.

rich00

by rich00

LBS is able to build up a Ridley Fenix with Sram Force for the same price of the Ultegra version, which is tempting. However the cannondale super six is also looking good. Decisions, decisions...

notsoswift

by notsoswift

I think with the SuperSix, you are upping the ante

With the CAAD series 'dales make really good crit bikes, I would be looking at the wheels as part of the package, as well

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

CAAD10 w/ Rival and spend the rest on fitting (stem, etc.) and awesome wheels!

ichobi

by ichobi

Fenix isnt bad. Got one and ride rather well. Though the top tube carbon feels quite thin.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I'd go for the CAAD 10 or Fenix.

The Classics edition of the Fenix should be within your budget.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

rich00

by rich00

I've been offered a reasonable deal on the ridley Damocles RS as they are clearing them out. Thinking of sram force will build my own wheels, kinlin 270 and possibly later down the track carbon clinchers. This is very tempting as fits the bill reasonable stiff on comfortable on rough roads which are plenty around my joint.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

My Damocles has been amazing, you wont be disappointed. A set of carbon wheels is in the works for mine too.

Such a great, tough, stiff, frame.... but still at a decent weight to build off of and comfortable as anything so performance oriented as ive ever ridden.

FeitoSpain

by FeitoSpain

Did you think in Canyon? They're very good bikes, not expensive and with very nice groupsets and wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com