Any ideas on a 1100+ gm lb bike thats compliant and Cheap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

norcal

by norcal

Looking for a frame which will help me handle 50+ miles of broken pavement. I currently ride a Cad 5, which is great for the first 30 to 40 miles, but sometimes the rough roads really can take their toll.
The tough part is I want it to be lighter than the Cannondale (1400+gms) and more compliant, without spending alot of money I don't have. I also prefer not to buy a compact frame if possible, though the Giant Carbon seems to be well liked on this forum.
Do aluminum frames with rear carbon soak up enough to make the difference?
Is full carbon the way to go? I don't think I can afford Ti, especially in the sub 3lb arena.
Trying to find a deep deal on a Kestrel Talon SL, though I don't know that I will find it cheap enough. So far $1900 is the best I've found.
Has anyone seen or ridden the Quattro Assi XXX or Attack?
Thanks
If i could only be riding now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

norcal wrote:Looking for a frame which will help me handle 50+ miles of broken pavement. I currently ride a Cad 5, which is great for the first 30 to 40 miles, but sometimes the rough roads really can take their toll.
The tough part is I want it to be lighter than the Cannondale (1400+gms) and more compliant, without spending alot of money I don't have. I also prefer not to buy a compact frame if possible, though the Giant Carbon seems to be well liked on this forum.
Is full carbon the way to go? I don't think I can afford Ti, especially in the sub 3lb arena.
Trying to find a deep deal on a Kestrel Talon SL, though I don't know that I will find it cheap enough. So far $1900 is the best I've found.
Thanks

Your asking a question in which answers are very subjective.

Personally I like some carbon in the rear of the frame as I have some back issues, which is why it was used in the first place (in modern times). Bartoli had back problems, and his then team frame supplier (Carrera) used a welded aluminum frame with a carbon stay system made by Alan to cut out some vibration for him. It seemed to work, he started winning races again. Other frame makers then started trying it, and the result is everywhere today. Claims are made that it adds weight, two frames using the same EM2 tubes are in the listings that show a 28gm weight difference to have carbon seat stays, not a big deal (you can save more weight than that in so many difffererent places). There are also claims that it doesn't do anything to the frame with regard to vibration, I would suggest that the almost universal use of carbon forks on the road now show there must be some advantage to using carbon over the various metals....

If I were in your position, and you want an Al frame, I'd look for something like one of the Teschner made Fuji frames (they have a little green and yellow Made in Australia sticker on them) in Easton Scandium with a carbon seat stay (2003 frame, I've seen some deals on them locally at $850), or something similar. There are riders that rave about their (more normal dimensioned tubed) Calfees, but then there are other reports about some riders on Lotto not using carbon frames because they are too stiff (back problem issues again). I have not used a modern carbon frame to offer comment on those, but I'm sure others here can comment. The Calfee Luna is a good deal at around $1200, and there is always Trek.
Ride lightly!

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I've never seen someone mention the Merida brand on this site so I'm not sure if they are available in the US, however their semi compact Venus and Genisi frames are very affordable here.

Good topic thanx

Brian

norcal

by norcal

Ye Old Bald One, your knowledge on the history of the racing bike is always amazing. Thanks for your philosophical response and suggestions.
There seems to be no US importer of Merida. Thanks, though.
If i could only be riding now

martin

by martin

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:
norcal wrote:Looking for a frame which will help me handle 50+ miles of broken pavement. I currently ride a Cad 5, which is great for the first 30 to 40 miles, but sometimes the rough roads really can take their toll.

If I were in your position, and you want an Al frame, I'd look for something like one of the Teschner made Fuji frames (they have a little green and yellow Made in Australia sticker on them) in Easton Scandium with a carbon seat stay (2003 frame, I've seen some deals on them locally at $850), or something similar.

Since norcal mentioned broken pavement: i wouldn't recommend Scandium tubing for that purpose. I have heard that Scandium has issues with vibrations on a middle term basis: even good welding seams will fail eventually under these conditions.
An experienced framebuilder will know more about it.

Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I too ride on broken payment, should I go with Carbon instead of Scandium?
Are Aluminium lugs a better join for strength and ridgidity?

Brian
Last edited by Bruiser on Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobalou

by bobalou

Thanks

I'm one of the Giant owners on this board and seems you're aware of them so I won't hype it up. There's another frame you might consider by Specialized, the "Roubaix" which I recently checked out at the local bike shop. It's compact but not as compact as the Giants. It has these inserts in the fork, seatstays and post that supposedly add damping to the ride but still keep it light. Sub 1200 grams for a 56 and around $1600 for the frameset.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6780

Another low cost consideration if you like the carbon seatstays and lightweight aluminum are "leaderbikes" which are basically Orbea's made for a US company. He sells on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/id=21589081

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com