Best Hub Ratchet and Freehub Pawl grease

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi all, just wondering what you would consider is the best Hub Ratchet and Freehub Pawl grease that you use or recommend ... thanks :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobDopolina
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by BobDopolina

What hubs will you use?

Do you want quiet hubs or can you deal with a little ratchet sound?
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.
https://www.bdopcycling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi BobDopolina, ahh, so there's not one grease that does it all, in this area ... lets say sealed bearing hubs, sealed bearing freehubs with or without a needle bearing, and quiet or louder ratchet sound is ok (such as the Novatec hubs/freehubs that you sell) ...

Also, it would be interesting to read your opinion on other types of hubs and freehubs ... thanks

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Bearings and free hub pawls need different types of grease or oil. While your bearings like grease that is sticky and high in Teflon. Your free hub pawls want a grease that is sticky, as in it adheres to the metal surface, but it should be soft enough to let the pawls move. Some hubs even use oil for the pawls.
There are do it all products, but those are just not as good as specific products.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

Campagnolo uses a grease from Kluber that is very light but with fantastic adhesion properties. This allows the freehub to spin and the Paul's to work with less resistance. It also means they use less grease. These two factors make for louder hubs.

Shimano, Novatec and most others use thicker greases with varying adhesion properties and higher viscosities. They also use more of it. This makes a quieter mechanism.

I don't have any numbers to illustrate my pint but I think you get the general idea.

Personally I like the sound of Campagnolo hubs and use Kluber grease.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi BobDopolina, do you also like the Kluber grease for freehubs that have needle bearings and can it also be used with cone and bearing hubs like Shimano.
Hmm, Campagnolo are cone and bearing hubs, so I guess it can be used for cone and bearing hubs ... that would make it a one grease that does it all, wouldn't it :)

Which Kluber grease do you use?

One grease that has been recommended to me was RocknRoll Red Devil ... have you used it before, if so how does it compare to Kluber.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I use Rock n Roll Super Web Grease in my Campag hubs. Works well with the bearings and the pawls.

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

IIRC the R&R grease is similar to Bull Shot from years ago. It was good grease with great adhesion but t was certainly much more viscous than the Kluber grease Campagnolo uses.

I'n not in my office so I don't know which grease I got from Kluber a few years ago. Have a look at their website.
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi BobDopolina, I had a look and there are many Kluber greases ... do you mind checking when you can ... thanks :)

I also notice that they do chain waxes which look quite interesting :)

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi 5 8 5, I wonder how similar RnR Red Devil and Super Web grease are. I have some RnR Super Web grease and I also have some Belray Waterproof grease.

Belray Waterproof grease is probably a little to sticky for pawls, but I guess I could always add a little teflon oil to it ...

RnR Super Web grease seems a little thin and not sticky enough, but perhaps that it ok ...

BobDopolina

by BobDopolina

Kluber NB52
BDop Cycling Co., Ltd.

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi BobDopolina, thanks ... I will check it out :)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

For pawls and freehubs a light motor oil will be fine. (5w30).

I have also used automotive bearing grease with good results. Light on the grease.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

KLabs

by KLabs

Hi stella-azzurra, won't light motor oil water washout quite easily (guess that depends on how good/tight the seals are) :)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

You can use thicker motor oil if you ride in the rain a lot.
But then you can also use the high temp automotive bearing grease.
Just a light mount.
The seals should keep the bigger particles of dirt out.

I really avoid riding in the rain and road that have gravel which keep my maintenance intervals at a minimum.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com