I'm not getting the Garmin

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wojchiech

by wojchiech

When it comes to cycling i'm a bit of a technophobe. Electronic gruppos, gps, computers I would never put on my bike. When I want to ride somewhere new, I look up and write my own queue-sheet (I've never gotten lost, even on long rides). I don't have a powermeter, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon (although it'd be interesting to see what my numbers are). I leave my phone on standby and only use it for emergencies. Maybe I'll wait until gps technology advances a few generations and becomes more affordable, but for now I'm just enjoying riding my bike, and I don't need any batteries.
:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

winky

by winky

Yeah I agree. Garmin is decent, but way way overpriced and overrated. Just use a regular cycle computer and use your smartphone maps app if you get lost.

nickl

by nickl

Pharmstrong wrote:
nickl wrote:The point of this is that the technology in the Garmin 810 and in the iPhone are very roughly comparable, and cost very roughly the same amount.

No the point is that in the UK a Garmin 810 is currently retailing for around £450. A modern smartphone like Google's Nexus 4 can be had for £239. The latest in car Garmin Nuvi's are around £150.

CRC has the 800 for £231.74 - as I said: roughly comparable. If you want to save some more, the 500 is £131.31.

The 810 is £326.16 - sure, you are paying extra to have the latest, just as you pay the Apple tax to have an iPhoe 5.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Pharmstrong wrote:
nickl wrote:The point of this is that the technology in the Garmin 810 and in the iPhone are very roughly comparable, and cost very roughly the same amount.

No the point is that in the UK a Garmin 810 is currently retailing for around £450. A modern smartphone like Google's Nexus 4 can be had for £239. The latest in car Garmin Nuvi's are around £150.

People are evidently falling over themselves to pay over the odds, so Garmin are obliging them. Cycling, the new golf.

The 810 has only been available at limited outlets for a scant 6 weeks, most shops haven't even seen a delivery yet, so it is still going to be full price.

As for the phones, I don't know a single person who buys their phones outright, let alone from ebay, so to quote £239 for the purchase is misleading.

Similarly, the Nuvi comparison is a red herring. An in-car GPS is competing with phone GPS units much more directly than a Garmin Edge of any iteration. Power is not an issue for the phone, function is everything. And it is a pure navigation tool.

buttrumpus

by buttrumpus

Especially in 2013, the question of "why a Garmin?" will become more valid. If you are fine with using your phone, there are plenty of new Bluetooth hr and cadence monitors and corresponding free apps coming to market. The ones I've tested are worthy competitors. If nothing else, the new Garmin offerings are a sign the company is wavering in it's dominance. After a week testing it, I didn't see anything in the new 510 that is truly an upgrade. If anything, the larger size and a touch screen that doesn't always respond well to sweaty, salty hands are reasons to stay away. The OP's questions will only be echoed more as time goes on. But hey, riding bikes is fun, so there's that.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

ultimobici wrote:As for the phones, I don't know a single person who buys their phones outright, let alone from ebay, so to quote £239 for the purchase is misleading.

Similarly, the Nuvi comparison is a red herring. An in-car GPS is competing with phone GPS units much more directly than a Garmin Edge of any iteration. Power is not an issue for the phone, function is everything. And it is a pure navigation tool.

The Nexus 4 is £239 direct from Google, not misleading.

I don't know why the Nuvi comparison is a red hearing? They can operate on battery, and they have to a drive a 5" screen. The internals past the screen are of a similar constitution, and they use the same mapping service.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Pharmstrong wrote:
ultimobici wrote:As for the phones, I don't know a single person who buys their phones outright, let alone from ebay, so to quote £239 for the purchase is misleading.

The Nexus 4 is £239 direct from Google, not misleading.
My bad - too early in the morning!

I don't know why the Nuvi comparison is a red hearing? They can operate on battery, and they have to a drive a 5" screen. The internals past the screen are of a similar constitution, and they use the same mapping service.
Battery life on the Nuvi is irrelevant as most, if not all the time, it'll be plugged in. It only has to do one thing, navigate, not record speed, distance, HR etc. it has no other function other than to direct you to a destination. It doesn't have to be weatherproof, nor shock resistant, so of course it's cheaper.

Come to think of it, imagine if that £239 Nexus was waterproof & shock resistant. How much bulkier, heavier & more expensive.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

MarkTwain wrote:
BobSantini wrote:You can't get a civil response out of their users. They appear to be pissed but they don't say why. Maybe they're just a surly bunch :lol:

But fortunately, the OP is a shining example and the opposite of all of this.

Oh, wait.

The issue was expressed in a post on page one. And you've shown you clearly don't read up (again, as seen with your Belgium thread) or take some time to appreciate what a product can and can not do before getting on the internet to run it down.

I'll all for people asking to get a better idea. But not sprouting misinformation like you are.

Huh? "misinformation"? "Belgium thread"? Do you have any idea what you're talking about or do you just make stuff up? "Clearly don't read up" is clearly ignorant guesswork presumably intended to be insulting.
Here we are on page 5 and apart from pointing to a test in a rude and offensive manner you've had nothing to contribute but insults.
Lets see, Mark Twain, 6 posts. I'm guessing that's an alias for a regular poster who for some reason feels offended about something. Am I right?
r o y g b i v

mattydubs

by mattydubs

buttrumpus wrote:Especially in 2013, the question of "why a Garmin?" will become more valid. If you are fine with using your phone, there are plenty of new Bluetooth hr and cadence monitors and corresponding free apps coming to market. The ones I've tested are worthy competitors. If nothing else, the new Garmin offerings are a sign the company is wavering in it's dominance. After a week testing it, I didn't see anything in the new 510 that is truly an upgrade. If anything, the larger size and a touch screen that doesn't always respond well to sweaty, salty hands are reasons to stay away. The OP's questions will only be echoed more as time goes on. But hey, riding bikes is fun, so there's that.

The GPS radio in an iPhone is nowhere near as accurate as the one in a Garmin. I've never had issues with Garmin data accuracy, but I've seen lots with the iPhone 5 personally and on my mates' setup. Bluetooth is also not optimized around battery life for this application. ANT+ is much more energy efficient as it isn't intended to carry the volume of data Bluetooth does. ANT+ is optimized for the data transfer rates (which are much lower in this application).

"Why a Garmin?" Is a pretty bold statement. I'd counter with "Why an iPhone?" Smartphones are poor bike computers.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

BobSantini wrote:Do you have any idea what you're talking about or do you just make stuff up?

Oh the irony.

Nothing is made up. It's all there, if you looked...

The OP set the tone for the thread, I just carried it on. You ask yourself who set the 'insulting' ball rolling.

After a year or so of lurking, enough was enough and decided to register. As 'far out' as that might seem to you. And I've contributed more than insults, so I guess I can again ask you "Do you have any idea what you're talking about or do you just make stuff up?".

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

My the standards have dropped in WW land.........

2 days in and much of your contribution has been derogatory. The guy made a lighthearted comment, even putting a little :lol: at the end. But instead of taking it in the manner it was so obviously meant, you responded in a derisory manner.

no wonder many longer standing members post less and less......

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

And I think this one has run its course. Getting a little too snippy :shock: