Campag In Cross

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Anyone using the cross specific Campag groups? Are any pros riding Campag in cross? I've got it on my CX bike bike it's a mixture of Veloce and Centaur but not the cross specific groups. I run it as I use it on my road bikes and like to keep it consistent.

What are peoples thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

There's an interesting discussion of using Campag for 'cross here:
http://cowbell.cxmagazine.com/forum/topics/1198434:Topic:1991?commentId=1198434%3AComment%3A3447

Personally I use Sram, but I can't see any reason why Campag would be any better or worse than it or Shimano.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

When I was switching between Campag Road and Shimano on Corss I kept mis shifting and things. But waiting for hydraulic disc Di2 and hydraulic Sram Red and I think I'll be looking to switch. Mind you it will mean I have to buy a new frame if I go Di2 as it will need internal wiring.

But I love Campag

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Privateer wrote:There's an interesting discussion of using Campag for 'cross here:
http://cowbell.cxmagazine.com/forum/topics/1198434:Topic:1991?commentId=1198434%3AComment%3A3447

KiwiMark is obviously Mark Legg - Katie F'n Compton's husband. He's a really nice guy. Obviously though Katie is on SRAM now

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

the spacing of campa 11 causes more problems in the mud as shimano and sram 10 speed(so at the moment that means you are the only one who changes bikes like 1 lap earlier in pro racing because nearly everyone is on sram or shimano)
the rear derailleur is closer to the spokes in the lightest sprocket if you use a 25, and with certain wheels it may catch the spokes and destroy spokes, rd hanger, rd, frame or everything together...
for the rest, levers are personal taste, you can make the system better with high end cables like gore ride-on. what sucks is the bearing on the cranks, they didn't last long with the record cranks(2011)i raced, and it's more work and requires special tools to change that then a 20 euro bsa or bb30 bearing.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hi Simon. Thanks for your feedback on it, greatly appreciate it from a pro world perspective and issues that arise.

I think I'm going to leave this bike as it is as a hack/training/MTB and just buy something else in the future for CX riding/racing.

Ssalmon

by Ssalmon

I have been using campagnolo in cross for 4 years and I love it! I am using 10 speed ultra shift centaur. If you are going to get campy don't even bother with power shift because you only drop one gear at a time. When I upgrade I am going 11 because I don't think there will be any issues with mud unless you are riding 2 feet deep. I remember people not wanting to ride 9 speed mountain stuff because 8 speed "shed mud better." Also I would avoid power-torque because the ultra-torque system is much easier to deal with and you won't need to buy special tools to remove it. I like the campy CX brakes, though I am very disappointed that they are manufactured in Taiwan. I like that the campy levers allow for a quicker wheel change and stiff braking with good control. I would avoid the cross specific crankset, but I love everything else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvincere

by dvincere

I ride Campy for cross and absolutely love it. Unequivocal love. My chain lasts longer than all my fellow racers in the New England mud. Never had a situation where I couldn't shift, and I don't have a pit bike so I'm on one machine the whole race. The caveat is I'm running 8 speed Chorus, though.