Saddles similar to Fizik antares

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
113245
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am

by 113245

Hi all,
I've been trying out a Fizik Antares as of late, and it's become very comortable for me in terms of how the width and flatness support
my sit bones. However, when I get low in the drops I tend to rotate my whole pelvis a lot/shift forward, and when I do I feel a lot of
perineal pressure. The Antares Versus doesn't do much to help the problem, the channel edges feel too defined and they themselves
put pressure. I was hoping someone could suggest some other saddle for me to try based on my experiences thus far?

by Weenie


system787
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:49 pm
Location: LA/OC, California

by system787

I like the Romin Evo saddles for scooting forward and getting down in the drops. The rear profile is different than the Antares, but I get along with both saddles.

sigismond0
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm

by sigismond0

I also throw my hat in for the Romin. While not identical to the Antares, they've both always filled more or less the same role for me. The Romin has a bit of a flare up in the back and a dip at the nose, but I really like those. The back lets you really push on the saddle without sliding around, and the front lets you hit an aggressive position comfortably.

As for Romin vs Romin Evo, the Evo is the same saddle with more padding. The regular Romin is pretty stiff, but I always found the padding to be spot on.

Oh and since we're on WeightWeenies, it's worth noting that the S-Works Romin weighs 158g and can be stripped to be even lighter.

incredibleting
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:31 am

by incredibleting

I would recommend the Toupe over the Romin. For a while I had an Antares on one bike and a Toupe on the other. Both were comfortable to me, however the Toupe was a little better on longer rides. The Romin is more curved than the Toupe, which doesn't seem to allow me to scoot up to the front when I need.

drchull
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:38 pm

by drchull

If you don't mind spending a lot of money, I bought a Dash Aero (used) and find it very similar to my Antares for fit. I ride the Antares for all my other bikes. You can get the Dash Aero made with a channel and on the Dash it is a large functional channel unlike most saddles that have small channels for marketing purposes or the silly versus range from Fizik.

113245
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am

by 113245

I can't really afford a Dash but the Romin and Toupe sound and look like some pretty viable options. Guess I'll be hitting up the local specialized dealer... thanks for the input!

dvincere
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:40 pm

by dvincere

sigismond0 wrote:I also throw my hat in for the Romin. While not identical to the Antares, they've both always filled more or less the same role for me. The Romin has a bit of a flare up in the back and a dip at the nose, but I really like those. The back lets you really push on the saddle without sliding around, and the front lets you hit an aggressive position comfortably.

As for Romin vs Romin Evo, the Evo is the same saddle with more padding. The regular Romin is pretty stiff, but I always found the padding to be spot on.

Oh and since we're on WeightWeenies, it's worth noting that the S-Works Romin weighs 158g and can be stripped to be even lighter.



Funny, I've been looking for alternatives to a Romin Evo for a bit now. I just don't want any Specialized on my bike and the titanium railed non-uber padded Romin Evo has red on it, too. Anyways, the Romin Evo looks like its better for getting an aero position, which is how they advertise it. I'm surprised to hear you noticed no difference between the Romin and the Romin Evo in that regard.

sigismond0
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm

by sigismond0

dvincere wrote:Funny, I've been looking for alternatives to a Romin Evo for a bit now. I just don't want any Specialized on my bike and the titanium railed non-uber padded Romin Evo has red on it, too. Anyways, the Romin Evo looks like its better for getting an aero position, which is how they advertise it. I'm surprised to hear you noticed no difference between the Romin and the Romin Evo in that regard.


Yeah, the Romin's never give me trouble with aero. A lot of people don't seem to care for the nose, but I tend to ride pretty nose-down on my Romin--I don't try to level it out nose to tail like most saddles, but have the center section tilted one or two degrees down. That keep the nose low for aero and the rear flare in place to push back against.

The Evo has a less pronounced nose, but aside form that and padding they ought to be basically identical.

And the more I think about it, the Toupe is far more like the Antares than the Romin is. The Antares is super flat, and the Toupe is just the same. My Selle Italia SLR Superflow is also pretty flat like the Antares with just a little rounding at the wings, but much less than on the Arione. It also has a nutso huge cutout, which is fantastic.

gummee
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:01 pm

by gummee

I just traded a a Romin for another Antares.

IME Romin = butt hatchet. Ditto with the Toupe.

Maybe a Pro Turnix?

M

NWSAlpine
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 7:11 pm
Location: FL

by NWSAlpine

I'm on the Romin Evo Pro 143 but need to get a black saddle and slightly wider. I bought it before they changed the sizes and realized I should have bought the 155. I am looking at the '13 Chicane Pro 155 now but stock is low it looks like.

User avatar
SolidSnake03
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:09 pm

by SolidSnake03

Nobody has mentioned Prologo but i think the Zero might be sort of similar being very flat and available in either ~130 or ~140mm width. The nose isnt as wide as the antares if that is a consideration for you
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

113245
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am

by 113245

I actually used to ride a prologo kappa pas which was quite comfy, but I'm looking for something a little firmer now. Although I might just give up and go get one off ebay...

Biplrsaba
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:18 pm

by Biplrsaba

Prologo Nago evo. Flip between these 2 saddles often without issue. On clearance at excel boulder right now.

mann2
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 am

by mann2

113245 wrote:Hi all,
I've been trying out a Fizik Antares as of late, and it's become very comortable for me in terms of how the width and flatness support
my sit bones. However, when I get low in the drops I tend to rotate my whole pelvis a lot/shift forward, and when I do I feel a lot of
perineal pressure. The Antares Versus doesn't do much to help the problem, the channel edges feel too defined and they themselves
put pressure. I was hoping someone could suggest some other saddle for me to try based on my experiences thus far?


have you tried lowering the nose a few degrees? you might slide down a bit but this would definitely help on the drops.

by Weenie


113245
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 am

by 113245

I'll give it a shot. Been using it perfectly level. I'm just used to having nothing touching that area thanks to the huge cutout in my old saddle.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post